Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Atrium Building (BC Ferries headquarters) | Office | 7-storeys | Built - completed in October 2010

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1048 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:02 AM

So is it true that a shabby little 6-story "tower" is all that this significant lot is going to become? Please say it isn't so.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:02 PM

Hazco is digging up the parking lot next to the Telus building today.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

Is this a prelude to redevelopment?

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

Everthing they've been doing over the past year has been a prelude to development--test holes, soil sampling etc. This project hasn't even gone to City Hall yet, so if you're thinking construction is happening, it's not even close. Even if this project sails through at record speed I don't think they'd break ground for another year.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

Yes I suppose that is what I meant... how soon before something actually gets built on this site.

#26 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:25 PM

Seems like its on it's approach, sampling told them there was serious environmental contamination, it probably took a while to work out the finances of the project with the required remediation. Remediation of the site should mean they intend to develop the lot soon, or sell to the highest bidder. Though since they are local, there is a chance that they are looking more long term and realize that remediating now will me much cheaper than in the future, when they're ready to develop the lot. I'd like to think it means one of the first two assumptions on my part.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

The Yates St. parking lot they did the sampling on has been repaved and lined and is now a parking lot again!

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

I am assuming no new development is forthcoming.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:17 PM

It could take upwards to two years before that parking lot has to be reclaimed for the project. Having those parking facilities in downtown must save Telus a lot of money so they opted to repave the lot. No biggie I don't think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

I wish they would do that for the Bambu lot
/sigh
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#31 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:29 PM

Jawl did the same thing with the parking lot next to the rowing club in Selkirk and it's to be built on soon too.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#32 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

This is an active project, although it is in its very early stages (a community meeting will likely be scheduled within a few months).

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:56 PM

Community meeting will be held in early October. Stay tuned for exact time and place.

Yes, Jawl and D'Ambrosio were surprised when Telus paved the lot.

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

Proposal currently sits at seven storeys and includes a full-height interior glass atrium facing Yates.

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

Proposal currently sits at seven storeys and includes a full-height interior glass atrium facing Yates.

YAWN! Double that height and maybe I'll bother to get interested...otherwise this is just another wasted opportunity.

#36 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:59 PM

Rob Randall:

Have you seen a rendering of it?

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

Ohh wow that sounds just like the!!!!!!! LIbrary building :(

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#38 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:37 PM

Yes, I have seen a rough rendering and model. The seventh storey is set back and contains the glass ceiling of the atrium. The facade alternates between glass window bands and white glazed terra cotta brick. The window bands are set back two feet. The facade curves as it goes around to Yates St. into the atrium creating something of a flat-iron effect on the northeast corner. They considered various towers including residential uses but ruled them out.

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

If Victoria was an animal, Yates would be the anus.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

You sure? I'd say Douglas between Chatham and Saanich Rd. would be a better fit.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users