8823 replies to this topic

#3741 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:49 PM

Is it still closed?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3742 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

^Yep. The sign says closed for "interior renovations"; no mention of a VIHA penalty. The homeless folks are appreciative; they can camp on both entrances all day instead of just overnight.

"Ming's closed for overdue renovations" should have been a headline in 1996.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#3743 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:30 PM

The inspection report states pest issues, lighting issues and zero functioning hot water.

All bad news.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan and Star Dust like this

#3744 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

Ugh.  I'm almost sure it's not good to run a restaurant with no hot water heater.  That'd be like my garburator being down.  RED ALERT.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 February 2018 - 07:35 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3745 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

..."Ming's closed for overdue renovations" should have been a headline in 1996.

It's funny how long some places can survive on their former reputations. I remember in my youth how exciting it was to go to a "fancy" restaurant like Ming's; but the last time I was there (about 6 years ago) I couldn't help but think "this place hasn't made any effort to update in 30 years".

#3746 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

Least. Shocking. News. Ever.

The inspection report on VIHA’s website notes that the restaurant is closed due to a lack of hot water (non-functioning hot water tank). I assume that they will reopen once this is addressed.

#3747 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

It's funny how long some places can survive on their former reputations. I remember in my youth how exciting it was to go to a "fancy" restaurant like Ming's; but the last time I was there (about 6 years ago) I couldn't help but think "this place hasn't made any effort to update in 30 years".

"Enter through the moon gate":  CFAX radio commercial circa 1982.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3748 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

The inspection report states pest issues, lighting issues and zero functioning hot water.

All bad news.

Matt.

And no soap and paper towels at hand washing stations. Eeeeewwwwwwwwwweeee.
  • Matt R. and Star Dust like this

#3749 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

Is it still closed?

Are they renovating the koi?

#3750 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:02 PM

Are they renovating the koi?

I understand post-renovation Ming's will briefly offer sushi.  ;) 

*yes, I know sushi is traditionally Japanese and no, I don't think the Chinese and Japanese cultures are interchangeable; the above comment is meant to be amusing and nothing more untoward should be inferred

• Redd42 likes this

#3751 manifest

manifest
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:02 PM

The Kitchen is now open for delivery!

Check out our menu from our four concepts (Bistro, Relish, Burgers, and Italian) at https://www.myaccio.com/the-kitchen.

I've also made everyone here a $5 off coupon that is valid through Feb 13th on all of your orders. This is on top of the $5 discount you receive for ordering through The Kitchen on Accio instead of our other shops.

The coupon code is vibrantvictoria

Please let me know how your experience and food was. Definitely looking for as much feedback as we can get here.

Thanks,

Mike

• Nparker and zenbunny like this

#3752 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

We have been in Victoria 23 years and have never been to Ming's and we don't know anyone who has been there either. Is it an egg foo young joint with tablecloths? We prefer genuine arborite for our Chinese restos, like Hong Kong West.

#3753 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

The Kitchen is now open for delivery!

Check out our menu from our four concepts (Bistro, Relish, Burgers, and Italian) at https://www.myaccio.com/the-kitchen.

I've also made everyone here a $5 off coupon that is valid through Feb 13th on all of your orders. This is on top of the $5 discount you receive for ordering through The Kitchen on Accio instead of our other shops.

The coupon code is vibrantvictoria

Please let me know how your experience and food was. Definitely looking for as much feedback as we can get here.

Thanks,

Mike

Coupon just for us!  Nice.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3754 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

We have been in Victoria 23 years and have never been to Ming's...

Ming's heyday was probably before your arrival. Back in the later 1970s and into the 1980s it was considered "fine Asian cuisine", of course that was a different era and most diners didn't have the expectations they have today.

Thinking about this brings to mind another "fine Asian restaurant" from the past: Jack Lee's Chinese Village. For those not in the know, it stood where Pier One is today on Finlayson across from the Mayfair Shopping Centre.

1970s Chinese Village Restaurant.jpg

• Matt R. and johnk like this

#3755 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

Ming's heyday was probably before your arrival. Back in the later 1970s and into the 1980s it was considered "fine Asian cuisine", of course that was a different era and most diners didn't have the expectations they have today.

Thinking about this brings to mind another "fine Asian restaurant" from the past: Jack Lee's Chinese Village. For those not in the know, it stood where Pier One is today on Finlayson across from the Mayfair Shopping Centre.

Yes, and many a legendary story behind why Jack's finally closed down. Everything from Illegal Gambling dens in a back room, to the cooks peeing in the food.

Edited by Star Dust, 07 February 2018 - 05:33 PM.

#3756 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

Back in the day Victoria had a second option when it came to take out Fried Chicken.

There was a chain of delicious Fried Chicken restaurants in Victoria called "Brownies Recipe Fried Chicken"  And as far as I am concerned they were far superior to Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I can still smell that delicious golden brown chicken that used to loft through the Victoria Air whenever going by a Brownies.

Attached Images

• Brownies Chicken YP ad 1979.jpg

#3757 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

Chicken on the run being the first choice?

Matt.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#3758 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

Back in the day Victoria had a second option when it came to take out Fried Chicken.

There was a chain of delicious Fried Chicken restaurants in Victoria called "Brownies Recipe Fried Chicken"  And as far as I am concerned they were far superior to Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I can still smell that delicious golden brown chicken that used to loft through the Victoria Air whenever going by a Brownies

Brings back memories, I worked one summer at Brownies in the interior.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3759 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:15 PM

...There was a chain of delicious Fried Chicken restaurants in Victoria called "Brownies Recipe Fried Chicken"  And as far as I am concerned they were far superior to Kentucky Fried Chicken...

They existed outside of Victoria - at least as far as the suburbs. When I first moved to Brentwood Bay in 1978 Brownies in Trafalgar Square was our go-to fast food outlet.

Brownies_Chicken_Menu_1.jpg

If you need your Brownies fix Star Dust, it looks like you can still go to Maple Ridge (now at 22899 Dewdney Trunk Road)

• Rob Randall likes this

#3760 EvnKas

EvnKas
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:14 PM

Sneak peak at the Milestones reno:

https://twitter.com/...290535146172416

Oh and a contest:

https://twitter.com/...931285626580992

@Milestones_Vic

Edited by EvnKas, 07 February 2018 - 09:16 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Love the rock