Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#4141 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

I hope you don't mean the Japanese dessert place Chimoto, their menu is awesome, they should stick around for a while. Try the matcha swirl ice-cream, or stuffed mochi, etc. Miles better than Number 6. (edit: was actually called Volume 6)

They are still open.

#4142 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:55 PM

I know, was responding to Dinya's comment " I doubt the one a block over near the Italian Deli will last long either.".

~ Jasmine ~

#4143 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:37 PM

The French Oven Bakery in the Hudson Market is scaling back. Passed by there and the space was all fenced in. Snapped the sign on the fence, attached.

Attached Images

• WP_20180918_16_42_38_Pro.jpg

• Mike K. and Kungsberg like this

#4144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:49 PM

I’d pop in there quite often when I lived nearby. I’m glad they’re downsizing and not leaving the market entirely.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4145 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

I tried a donair from the place in the public market. Good flavour and consistency, if a little on the small side :)

#4146 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

I tried a donair from the place in the public market. Good flavour and consistency, if a little on the small side :)

I found all the food portions at all the retailers in there to have one thing in comment.........'Small & Expensive"

Walked through a few times when it just opened. Never been back

• zenbunny and Bob Fugger like this

#4147 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:48 PM

I’d be surprised, but I guess each country Grocer might stock different products? I saw the Gerard’s strudels (and bulk puff pastry) in the freezer at the store on salt spring two days ago.

Matt.

I went to Fairway in Langford today and talked to the deli manager - they don't stock Gerards sausage rolls, they get theirs from Mayflower same as the Country Grocer gal told me they get theirs. Small and unappetizing looking. The Fairways lady says they get some Gerards strudels in around Christmas but don't generally stock them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4148 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:10 PM

Weak! Sorry to hear that. I’ll pass that along to Glenda at Gerard’s! Heads will roll.

I promise you that we get ours from Gerard’s. Hopefully they don’t get theirs from Mayflower! :)

Matt.
  • LJ likes this

#4149 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:52 PM

i looked up Mayflower and they are a frozen food wholesaler so I am pretty sure Gerards would be at least twice as good. Glenwood's are good but I would like to compare. And the strudels sound great.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4150 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:14 PM

What do you think about a Gourmet Hot Dog restaurant that makes it's own hot dogs/sausages from scratch using every kind of meat that can be legally aquired and sold in Canada?

A place where you could get a Hot Dog or Sausage made of Buffalo, or Ostrich, Alligator, seal meat  etc. These are just examples of course for the purpose of illustrating the idea.

I have often thought of doing something like that. It would be original enough to Victoria.....but would it catch?

• jasmineshinga and nerka like this

#4151 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:29 PM

What do you think about a Gourmet Hot Dog restaurant that makes it's own hot dogs/sausages from scratch using every kind of meat that can be legally acquired and sold in Canada? ..It would be original enough to Victoria.....but would it catch?

You might want to open the first location outside of Vegantoria proper to get it established.

#4152 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:48 PM

You might want to open the first location outside of Vegantoria proper to get it established.

Oak Bay, or Saanich would be preferential for sure. Oak bay and Saanich  have a strong and historical connection with the consumption of meat. 

#4153 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:54 PM

What do you think about a Gourmet Hot Dog restaurant that makes it's own hot dogs/sausages from scratch using every kind of meat that can be legally aquired and sold in Canada?

Gourmet Hot dogs?!  Isn't that an oxymoron?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#4154 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:20 PM

Anyone know when the Korean place Cera in the Janion will finally open? The sign still says opening summer 2018...

#4155 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:19 AM

The 7-11 on Jacklin recently started carrying sausage rolls. They're quite good but the kid behind the counter had no idea where they come from. I think they are pork (as all good sausage rolls should be) with a very nice puff paste wrap...not that short dough that a lot of places cheap out with.

#4156 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:50 PM

The new owner of Chorizo is Stephen Quigley, GM of Stage.

I understand that he and his wife were going to operate it together, but she passed suddenly within the past few weeks.  Very sad.

Happy to report Stephen was on site today overseeing renovations.

• Mike K. and Bob Fugger like this

#4157 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:28 PM

This sign is being auctioned tonight at Lunds:

vito.jpg

I wish I knew a pizza guy named Vito.

• Matt R. likes this

#4158 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:56 PM

I wish I knew a pizza guy named Vito.

or had that phone number...

#4159 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:10 PM

It could be time for the lowly and much maligned hot dog to get some real respect?  People have already upscaled the hot dog to some extent in the last 10 years but very few have tried to make it a real hipster/foodie item yet.

Good Luck

#4160 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:03 AM

It could be time for the lowly and much maligned hot dog to get some real respect?  People have already upscaled the hot dog to some extent in the last 10 years but very few have tried to make it a real hipster/foodie item yet.

Good Luck

Saint Franks has (had?) some good ones

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users