Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8823 replies to this topic

#5921 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

Something called Chubby Dumpling has opened on Store Street near the Sour Pickle Cafe.

#5922 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

Sounds like it's Korean dumplings.

#5923 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:50 PM

2021 is the year of the dumpling. I never would have pinned that choice to the wall.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5924 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:25 AM

Saw some chatter on Facebook that the Dragon Gate Chinese restaurant closed because of not being able to get their lease renewed. So not because they retired. They apparently are hoping to open up some where else in a few months. Also apparently Vessel liquor store will be expanding into the space where the restaurant was.

#5925 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:28 AM

Ah. Interesting revelation.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5926 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:38 AM

If my memory is correct, I think the commercial unit between Vessel and the ex-restaurant space is empty so I would expect Vessel is taking that over too. Then that would mean the same owners would have all the storefront in that area. Vessel is the same owners as the new Urban Grocer.

#5927 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:39 AM

Well that explains it. I had no idea the two were connected.

Know it all.

#5928 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:40 AM

Vessel is the same owners as the new Urban Grocer.

is that the new safeway?

• Matt R. likes this

#5929 FortStFriend

FortStFriend
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:28 PM

Anyone tried the new Burger Crush location on Fort, or Tacofino since they moved? any revelations ?

#5930 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:34 PM

If my memory is correct, I think the commercial unit between Vessel and the ex-restaurant space is empty so I would expect Vessel is taking that over too. Then that would mean the same owners would have all the storefront in that area. Vessel is the same owners as the new Urban Grocer.

Correction to my earlier post. Vessel has already taken over the space between them and the ex-restaurant. There is a door immediately on your left when walk in that goes in to that space. 

Kind of makes a good corner of retail - all your basic daily needs covered - booze (Vessel), food (Urban Grocer), toiletries and paper products (Shoppers Drug Mart).

• Matt R. likes this

#5931 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:35 PM

shoppers has just been reduced to a paper products supplier? not medicine?

#5932 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:39 PM

I think the other 2 stores will help that SDM get more customers. I forget that it is even there, set back from the road. 

• Matt R. likes this

#5933 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:49 PM

shoppers has just been reduced to a paper products supplier? not medicine?

Most of us don't buy medications on a daily or weekly basis - once a month or every few months. 

I think that Shoppers has survived all these years because of its proximity to the hospital. I also think who ever owns that SDM should thank the owners of Vessel and Urban Grocer. I was going to say they should buy them a very nice bottle of something but it seems redundant to give booze to someone who owns a booze store!

I'm sorry to see the Chinese restaurant pushed out and hopefully they will find a location that their customers will follow them to. 

#5934 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:46 PM

It looks like Canoe Brewpub has been bought by Vancouver’s CRAFT group: https://www.cheknews...-family-733242/

#5935 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:01 PM

It looks like Canoe Brewpub has been bought by Vancouver’s CRAFT group: https://www.cheknews...-family-733242/

Come join the party over in the Canoe thread! https://vibrantvicto...canoe-victoria/

#5936 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:14 PM

Come join the party over in the Canoe thread! https://vibrantvicto...canoe-victoria/

An even better party is coming to the Avalon Community Care Tent!

...The community care tent [is] for the public, housed and unhoused everyone is welcome,...It's for recreation and enjoyment, we're going to have workshops and music and game nights, people can just drop by and have coffee and hang out, maybe warm up and grab a snack to re-energize during a jog around the park, etc, and anyone could use the space for something like a workshop or whatever else they want...

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#5937 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:42 AM

A new pizza/pasta restaurant has opened in Fairfield Plaza. It’s called Fire it Up and fills a void left by the closure of Oreganos : https://www.fire-it-up.ca/

#5938 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:41 AM

$115k

Prime downtown location with a fully vented commercial kitchen. This very popular restaurant has been an office crowd favorite for well over a decade, providing quick service and excellent food. It is prominently positioned on a high traffic corner of Douglas Street, allowing for great walk by traffic. The restaurant has an interior space of 610 sq ft with seating for approx. 15, plus an additional covered patio space in the buildings common area which can accommodate another 15 people. The fully vented kitchen is well laid out and can produce high volumes during peak times. The lease includes all utilities providing for easier management of cash flow. This space has the ability to transition to multiple food concepts with ease. 

https://www.realtor....730844/victoria

#5939 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:48 PM

^ My guess is the building at the corner of Douglas and Broughton. La Fiesta, perhaps?

• FortStFriend likes this

#5940 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:58 PM

Sure sounds like it! Good call.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

kayla