Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#5941 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:41 PM

An even better party is coming to the Avalon Community Care Tent!

Since it seems like it may be near the Cook St. playground, will they offer a storytime? 

#5942 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:15 PM

OK so Rocky Mountain Chocolate on Government is clearly not running, NOR is it on their website.  Of course Google says "temporarily closed" but google  is notorious for bad info when it comes to what's open and closed, and operating hours.

So you can add that to your list (of tourist shops on Government that are closed)

forgive me if somebody else has already posted this. 

#5943 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:15 PM

But is chocolate really food, anyhow?

#5944 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:29 PM

FWIW, the Rocky Mountain Chocolate store still has a "NOW HIRING" sign in their window!  

#5945 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,996 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:40 AM

355 Cook St is located in the heart of the Cook St Village.This high traffic location is perfectly positioned to welcome locals year-round and will benefit from the new condo towers currently under development in the area.This turnkey restaurant has a fully vented open plan commercial kitchen that can adapt to a multitude of food concepts. A large walk in cooler keeps the kitchen well stocked & additional basement storage provides a walk in freezer, dry storage & staff area.The separate dish washing/bus area provides easy clean up & separation of kitchen duties to accommodate high volumes.The front of house is well set up and the food primary license allows up to 50 guests.The well laid out dining room has two entrances allowing for great flow onto the permanent street front patio.The patio is fully licensed & can seat 20-30 people & is set up with gas powered heaters for year long dining.Great signage directly onto Cook St and on-site parking in the year for employees or customers.

https://www.realtor....-fairfield-east

863831_1.jpg

#5946 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:42 AM

Well, I guess this Village location didn't last too long, I know that some people missed the old menu from when it was "Bubby's Kitchen".

#5947 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:36 AM

Is it not currently operating as a Village Express?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5948 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:02 AM

Is it not currently operating as a Village Express?

They announced yesterday on Instagram they're changing Village Express into only an online business.

Edited by kayla, 27 January 2021 - 11:06 AM.

#5949 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:25 AM

Ah, thank you. So the location in CSV is officially closed now? It’s not clear with the picture showing an open sign in the listing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5950 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

Ah, thank you. So the location in CSV is officially closed now? It’s not clear with the picture showing an open sign in the listing.

I believe so. They're redirecting people to their other four locations when asked if the Cook St location is open. 

#5951 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:58 AM

A new pizza/pasta restaurant has opened in Fairfield Plaza. It’s called Fire it Up and fills a void left by the closure of Oreganos : https://www.fire-it-up.ca/

The menu & photos look decent, but they could really use a proofreader.

"Signature Pizza's"

"Marinare" sauce

Oof.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#5952 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:08 PM

^Even worse they use stock photos. "Our food is delicious but it doesn't photograph well!"

https://www.facebook...357908341233768

https://www.facebook...34952318346128/

• Mike K. likes this

#5953 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:12 PM

Oh dang. That's a huge red flag. I thought it looked good on their site, but if it's not even theirs, I won't be going out of my way to try it anytime soon.

#5954 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:16 PM

RE: the Village, I have a policy of steering clear of anywhere the advertises that it's "where the locals eat". If you have to put that on a sign to try and encourage tourists to eat there, it's probably not true. As evidenced by the restaurant closure.

• Mike K. and sukika like this

#5955 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:16 PM

^Even worse they use stock photos. "Our food is delicious but it doesn't photograph well!"

That is SO lame.

#5956 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:17 PM

RE: the Village, I have a policy of steering clear of anywhere the advertises that it's "where the locals eat". If you have to put that on a sign to try and encourage tourists to eat there, it's probably not true. As evidenced by the restaurant closure.

I agree. the one across from the Janion that opened last year had the same branding. It never really got that busy.  

#5957 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:25 PM

The Chinatown one is closed?

Know it all.

#5958 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:25 PM

Oh dang. That's a huge red flag. I thought it looked good on their site, but if it's not even theirs, I won't be going out of my way to try it anytime soon.

I actually tried it recently and it was pretty good and a good value.

The company that designed their website (ITSyndicate) isn't the same as the workers in the kitchen making the food.   :1954_dancing:

#5959 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:30 PM

I actually tried it recently and it was pretty good and a good value.

The company that designed their website (ITSyndicate) isn't the same as the workers in the kitchen making the food.   :1954_dancing:

No. But if the owners/management are willing to skimp out on their main promotional sales tool, it sends the message that they're willing to skimp out on other things like food safety, ingredients, etc.

#5960 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,996 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:41 PM

it's a little awkward for sure.

how about this:  make your pub or restaurant so great BOTH locals and visitors want to visit.  can be done.

here is a tip.  if you are a female waitress say "hello boys!" enthusiastically when a group of two or more middle-aged or above men come in together.  already they are going to like you/the place.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2021 - 12:43 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users