Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8841 replies to this topic

#7481 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 04:20 PM

This feels like the tip of the iceberg in Victoria.

Councillor Dell was talking about office workers not spending meaningful amounts downtown, so their exodus not being all that big of an issue. I think the average downtown office worker would beg to differ about the dollars they spend on a weekly basis. Maybe it’s not big money to some, but it adds. Now multiple that by however many thousands there used to be downtown.

I think that Dell is just trying to cover for his own poor decision making.

I think that if you were to ask most downtown businesses they would say that office workers are an important part of their revenue stream. US tourists may spend more but the average tourist is downtown a few days a year whereas offices workers are spending 250+ days a year!

A good friend of mine consults in the food and beverage industry and she tells me that there are likely another 15-20 established restaurants that will likely fail this year due to inflation and revenue challenges. 

• Nparker likes this

#7482 aastra

aastra
  • 20,812 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 04:21 PM

Anyway, judging by his comments we can logically assume Matt Dell would be a huge proponent of ongoing residential development downtown and new high-density residential development along the length of the Douglas Street strip.

Right?

#7483 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 04:26 PM

Not only would Dell be a proponent, he wouldn't even think of hindering residential projects with last-minute surprise changes that could harm their financial viability.

Edited by Nparker, 27 February 2023 - 04:26 PM.

#7484 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 04:33 PM

This feels like the tip of the iceberg in Victoria.

Councillor Dell was talking about office workers not spending meaningful amounts downtown, so their exodus not being all that big of an issue. I think the average downtown office worker would beg to differ about the dollars they spend on a weekly basis. Maybe it’s not big money to some, but it adds. Now multiple that by however many thousands there used to be downtown.

I can say that is absolutely false. And councillor dell should probably consult businesses before making such flippant statements. Our weekday business is horrendous at best. Weekends are great, our busiest time used to be from 12-1 during the week - now it’s sporadic. We depend on people working downtown in order to survive. Office workers would drop huge amounts of money, shopping, lunch, bakery goods, etc. This is what I hate about city councillors - most are 99% ego and would rather go with some fictitious version of reality that sparks them on that day instead of collecting the real information
  • Nparker, dasmo and Barrrister like this

#7485 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:02 PM

The city elected these clowns but on the other hand I did not exactly see the business community put up and support a different slate of candidates. As disturbing as it may be Victoria might just be getting what it deserves.

#7486 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,141 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:16 PM

I also wonder, why the assumption is workers living in Sooke or on the West Shore are “lower paid?” Does the government pay workers less if their address isn’t in the urban core?

Sounds to me like everyone out there is a young mother without a car.

#7487 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:20 PM

I thought diversity was our strength?

#7488 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:25 PM

Sounds to me like everyone out there is a young mother without a car.

So not only are the suburbs teaching the urban areas how to design roads, their residents are already living the eco-friendly lifestyle the urbanites are trying to push for?

What exactly aren't the suburbs doing, that the urban areas want to emulate?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7489 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,141 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:41 PM

Lack of sidewalks?

#7490 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:49 PM

That’s a Saanich invention. So we’ll give them that.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7491 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,369 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:26 PM

Given the challenge of hiring in the food industry maybe we do need a contraction anyways?
Another silver lining too is that restaurants could survive based more on quality and not location. It’s the cafe and lunch places that will disappear but also aren’t needed near as much if the demand isn’t there.
The disposable income increased due to commute and time savings but has been eaten up by crazy inflation. Folks wfh just eat at home.
  • Matt R. and GaryOak like this

#7492 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,141 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:33 PM

Yes, the contraction is over due for sure.

#7493 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:45 PM

Won’t that be a problem for a town that made a name for itself as having the highest volume of restaurants per-capita, by some measure or whatever?

And if we think it’s ok for restaurants, why is it not ok for government jobs? Or government budgets?

Know it all.

#7494 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:53 PM

What is going to take the place of all the eating establishments, once things are fully "contracted"? There is already a plethora of empty ground floor commercial space in the city. Adding to this doesn't seem very positive.

#7495 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:59 PM

If your variable rate mortgage almost doubled restaurants are one of the first things on the list. If the grocery store just distroyed your monthly budget things will get cut out.

• Matt R. likes this

#7496 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,141 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 11:04 PM

Lol, almost?

#7497 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,369 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2023 - 11:10 PM

For some it’s like, triple lol. The rate anyways not the payments

Edited by lanforod, 27 February 2023 - 11:11 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#7498 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,361 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:51 AM

Beijing Bistro, a well-established Chinese restaurant known for most authentic Beijing duck dish in town, located in the heart of Downtown / Fort Street (between Douglas St. and Blanshard St.). With its prime location and loyal customer base, Beijing Bistro has become a go-to place for both locals and tourists. Surrounded by a variety of shops, hotels, public transit and attractions. It features a commercial kitchen 16' vent for your future dishes. Spacious dining area. Reasonable rent at $4,014/month (1 parking space included). Come make it your Destined business!

$349,900

769 Fort St

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

924265_1.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2023 - 12:52 AM.

#7499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,361 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 04:41 AM

Somebody will take this over.  Just watch.  It'll re-open well before the summer.  It would be just fine as a Milestones or Cactus Club.  Who actually owns OBMG, and how did they come to own it?

The closing does not necessarily mean that the site’s days as a restaurant are over. Oak Bay Mayor Kevin Murdoch said he assumes his municipality will seek another restaurant to fill the 5,900-square-foot space, but it is too soon to be certain.

The municipality owns the Beach Drive buildings and the restaurant was on a month-to-month lease with the Marine Group.

Murdoch expects that council will discuss possible next steps in an in-camera meeting. Subjects such as disposition of land are discussed out of the public eye. “It is a very well-loved and popular spot so we do want to find the right partner for it.”

The municipality would not want to let the space sit empty for a long time, Murdoch said.

Similar to other restaurants and businesses in Greater Victoria and elsewhere, the Marina Restaurant has been facing labour shortages, supply issues and inflation, said Castelsky.

“We are not immune to these challenges,” he said.

As well, “I think consumer tastes are shifting away from more formal dining to a more casual atmosphere. That’s ­probably another part of it.

“But ultimately it is not a decision we wanted to make.”

Patrons of the restaurant, in an eye-catching building, have been drawn to views of the marina and waterfront through windows lining the dining room. “Many people have celebrated a number of special occasions there,” Castelsky said.

https://www.timescol...n-march-6621702

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2023 - 04:53 AM.

#7500 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 10:06 AM

The city elected these clowns but on the other hand I did not exactly see the business community put up and support a different slate of candidates. As disturbing as it may be Victoria might just be getting what it deserves.

Here we are again: another flippant statement with no research or insight. You clearly have no idea of what was going on behind the scenes

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users