Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8820 replies to this topic

#7521 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,044 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 01:38 PM

When Bob died I was told there was a board of directors overseeing a trust that owns it? Bit nebulous, hey?

Mark Appleton and Sharon Halkett were the trustees at the time.

#7522 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:47 PM

This feels like the tip of the iceberg in Victoria.

Councillor Dell was talking about office workers not spending meaningful amounts downtown, so their exodus not being all that big of an issue. I think the average downtown office worker would beg to differ about the dollars they spend on a weekly basis. Maybe it’s not big money to some, but it adds. Now multiple that by however many thousands there used to be downtown.

Clearly this guy lives in an alternative universe of his own; when all ~ 400 of us were still downtown pre-Covid MAXIMUS staff virtually kept businesses like Honey Bun, the Dollar Store and Soupa Cafe in St Andrew's square not only afloat but jam packed busy all by ourselves. Not to mention many other places where we'd do lunch...Fatburger, Fan Tan Cafe, Zuma etc. And that's just from one org. Rest assured sir we spent lots of coin downtown. Combined with several thousand other office denizens I'm fairly confident in saying "meaningful amounts" of bucks were most certainly spent downtown prior to 2020.

Let me guess without looking - prior to the CoV election this person was (most probably) employed in a government capacity of some description: its painfully obvious he's never worked in the private sector because "why YES" sometimes the poor downtrodden employee has to catch a bus at 7:30am. If only most of them were that fortunate! When I lived in Vancouver and worked downtown you were catching buses a hell of a lot earlier than that and "yes" many many people were also dealing with the kids, making lunches, getting them ready for school etc etc etc. It was not at all uncommon for staff living as far out as Langley to be up at 4:15 am in order to get to work by 8.

Sometimes in this world councillor you do what needs doing, how and when it needs doing. I knew and still know all too many people who would sell all their teeth, their dog and maybe even a kid if they had a spare one, if it meant they could catch a bus as *late* as 7:30am......

• Barrrister likes this

#7523 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 09:46 PM

I can say with some confidence that my former Ministry of Health colleagues and I (there were close to 1000 of us on site at the Richard Blanshard Building) kept numerous coffee outlets and more than a couple of restaurants in the black. I can't imagine how many smaller, local businesses will survive in the new version of downtown.  Smug platitudes from neophyte, agenda-driven councillors certainly won't help.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#7524 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,044 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 10:18 PM

Checking out the Marina one last time tomorrow with the former (and best) pastry chef. I’m hopeful for a kitchen tour!
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#7525 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,044 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 10:21 PM

Way back when I worked at a tiny cafe in Market Square, and I am positive the Ministry of Forests or whatever it was back there kept the door open. Packed for coffee before work, packed at 10 am till 11, packed 12-1 and packed again in the afternoon. Anything else was gravy.
  • Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#7526 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 10:25 PM

Mrs. Mike K is out the door by 6:30 to get to the office by 8AM, by bus. If I'm driving in, we leave at 7, and there’s time to stop on the way if we want.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7527 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 07:33 AM

If the province follows through on its promise to allow WFH and also to decentralize a lot of the jobs to smaller communities this will likely have a major impact on Victoria. I still dont have a clear idea how many jobs we are talking about and the only number I have seen is one claim that it is anywhere from 15 to 20 thousand government jobs for the city (I have no idea if that number is even remotely right).

In fairness, for once, I dont think that this is a bad policy by the government, It will make the quality of life for a lot of people a lot better. It will, if supported by other steps, do more for housing in the province than any other government plans by creating new vibrant communities through the province. 

But it does mean that the City of Victoria has to take some major changes in direction.  The loss of a major number of government jobs is going to affect a lot more than just the local coffee shop. It is possible that you see an exodus of people from the city. Private sector jobs could well follow that exodus. This might even solve the housing crisis but not in a fashion that the city of Victoria was expecting. 

It may turn out to be just a tempest in a teapot or it might actually be a real turning point for Victoria. The next few years will tell. Does anyone actually know how many provincial jobs there are in the city at the moment.

#7528 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,052 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 07:35 AM

I tried to find that number, it’s elusive.

35,000 or so, province-wide.

Will the Province let a worker currently WFH for a Victoria ministry, move permanently to Williams Lake and keep the same job? That’s an unknown at this time.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 March 2023 - 07:36 AM.

#7529 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:18 AM

It'll create major economic opportunities on FN reserves. That in itself is going to have a huge impact on the quality of life of remote communities.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7530 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:22 AM

Just allowing people to move somewhere like Cowichan Bay and work from home will breathe new life into many small communities. Raising a family in Mill Bay might certainly be considered an improvement over a condo on Pandora.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#7531 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:40 AM

They live there now, but have to commute into Victoria.

Know it all.

#7532 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:43 AM

If you get more government workers living in small communities this will also create more local jobs. Less reason to commute to Victoria. 

Edited by Barrrister, 02 March 2023 - 08:51 AM.

#7533 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:43 AM

Imagine just sitting home all day, pushing virtual paper for the government. For an hourly paycheque. What a dismal way to live.
  • Matt R. likes this

#7534 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:46 AM

Imagine just sitting home all day, pushing virtual paper for the government. For an hourly paycheque. What a dismal way to live.

Why commute into an office to do that when you can do it from home? 

• AllseeingEye and Daveyboy like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7535 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:47 AM

Just allowing people to move somewhere like Cowichan Bay and work from home will breathe new life into many small communities. Raising a family in Mill Bay might certainly be considered an improvement over a condo on Pandora.

Hey, now now.. nothing wrong with living in a condo on Pandora.  When have you ever heard me complain about Pandora?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7536 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

^ ^ see the remarks from NParker.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 March 2023 - 08:49 AM.

#7537 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

I’m sure government will have flex spaces available.

The West Shore office they opened counts as WFH, if you use it. No reason why another small office can’t be opened in Cowichan.

Know it all.

#7538 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:50 AM

Half the fun of office work is office pranks.

#7539 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:52 AM

Lots of good places to live in both Sidney and Brentwood Bay

#7540 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:52 AM

Indeed it was.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users

kayla, Dr. Barillas