Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
9200 replies to this topic

#8581 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 409 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2024 - 03:35 PM

Have we heard about this yet? Coming soon to the Yates on Yates.

I walk my dog past it every day. You can't see much from the window coverings but the duct work looks complete. The have fresh duct seal. I've seen a job posting sign for a few weeks now and they even had a little tent set up a couple weeks back where they were giving out coffee.

Once you see white paint on the duct work I'd say we're about two to three weeks away.

Edited by dkuitu, 13 February 2024 - 03:37 PM.

#8582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 04:28 PM

How is the Era building's food space coming along?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8583 m3m

m3m
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 06:06 PM

Tombo has been open for about a week. It’s great. Check it out.

#8584 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 09:22 PM

Oh snap! I didn’t hear it opened. That’s great!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8585 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,897 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 12:16 AM

He’s got some serious talent in the kitchen, strong crew.

#8586 2000larry

2000larry
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 01:13 PM

I live above Tombo and nice to have it occupied again . Good food and a great vib in there and super busy .

#8587 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 01:04 PM

I live above Tombo and nice to have it occupied again . Good food and a great vib in there and super busy .

Anyone know what the plan is for the Tombo space on Government at Trounce Alley?

Know it all.

#8588 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:28 AM

Embrace the opportunity to own a flourishing Asian Cuisine Restaurant specializing in sushi, bento, and donburi. The restaurant features an integrated Japanese ingredients-focused grocery section, desserts, and drinks. It's one of Victoria's most famous Japanese food places with lots of loyal customers. The restaurant is located in a prime, high-traffic corner spot at the intersection of Quadra and Fort, surrounded by numerous new buildings and developments, ensuring high foot traffic and attracting many new customers. The restaurant is flooded with natural light and boasting a non-vented kitchen. Ample street parkings. There are lots growth opportunities to expand the business; currently, operating days are only Monday to Friday. Come and make it your destined business!Please do not approach staff and owner regarding sale of business.*

$299,000

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2024 - 04:28 AM.

#8589 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:29 AM

A great opportunity to acquire a high-performing retail and restaurant business in a free-standing building.The business has been in operation for over 7 yrs and benefits from an excellent location with year-round access to both vehicular and pedestrian traffic.The business is located in one of Victoria's most sought-after neighbourhoods and benefits from its own 5-stall parking lot + room for staff to park at the rear of the building. The business has a fully vented commercial kitchen with walk-in coolers and freezers plus a dedicated retail area with display coolers. The business produces great top-line sales figures and has a strong lease in place. The free-standing building provides the ability to stand out from the crowd and brand the building to create a unique space that provides great value in today’s market. With over 1400 sq ft of interior space and a fully vented and well-equipped kitchen, it allows a savvy operator multiple opportunities to create a vibrant business at this great location.

$250,000

https://www.realtor....y-south-oak-bay

South Oak Bay

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2024 - 04:29 AM.

#8590 conga

conga
  • 40 posts
  • LocationQuadra Village

Posted 25 February 2024 - 09:41 PM

First comment, long time lurker. Hello everyone!

Regarding OEB: they are definitely getting close to opening, as a mate of mine was hired for their opening team.

I mainly wanted to comment about what is going on in Quadra Village, as I live in the hood, and there have been a few things going on as of late.

Maham and Pops has been closed for a bit. They initially closed around the start of the year (at least that's when I noticed), and had a sign on the door saying they would re-open after a couple of weeks and were going to change some stuff. They now have a sign saying they're closed until further notice, or something to that effect. I noticed they have a post on indeed looking for a GM.

Bubby Rose's cafe/pizzeria has also been closed since around the start of the year. They initially had a sign on the door mentioning a re-opening in a few weeks, iirc, and a format change. The sign isn't there anymore, and some of the signage on the King's Road side was removed. It also looks like they removed the large pizza oven. They never seemed busy, so a format change could make a lot of sense. A bakery and breakfast/lunch place would be a great niche to try and fill in the hood, so I'm hoping they go that direction.

Lastly, Lori's Takeaway Cafe, right across the street just closed permanently yesterday. There is a for-lease sign in the window.

#8591 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:09 AM

Wendy’s planning Uber-style ‘surge pricing’ where burger prices fluctuate based on demand

https://nypost.com/2...tuating-demand/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2024 - 12:09 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#8592 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:23 AM

Minimum wage is set to go up across British Columbia over the coming months as the province moves to permanently counteract impacts from inflation.

On June 1, a 3.9 per cent pay hike will raise the minimum hourly wage to $17.40, up from the current $16.75 per hour.

Wages will also go up for farm workers by the end of 2024. That’s when minimum piece rates for 15 hand-harvested crops will climb the same 3.9 per cent.

“B.C. has gone from having one of the lowest minimum wages in the country to the highest of all the provinces,” Labour Minister Harry Bains said in a statement Monday.

“And today, we are enshrining that commitment into law.”

https://www.timescol...er-hour-8361228

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2024 - 12:23 AM.

#8593 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:24 AM

Some might suggest this doesn’t “counteract” inflation - instead it fuels it.

https://www.investop...ncrease in cost.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2024 - 12:26 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#8594 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 07:39 AM

First comment, long time lurker. Hello everyone!

Regarding OEB: they are definitely getting close to opening, as a mate of mine was hired for their opening team.

I mainly wanted to comment about what is going on in Quadra Village, as I live in the hood, and there have been a few things going on as of late.

Maham and Pops has been closed for a bit. They initially closed around the start of the year (at least that's when I noticed), and had a sign on the door saying they would re-open after a couple of weeks and were going to change some stuff. They now have a sign saying they're closed until further notice, or something to that effect. I noticed they have a post on indeed looking for a GM.

Bubby Rose's cafe/pizzeria has also been closed since around the start of the year. They initially had a sign on the door mentioning a re-opening in a few weeks, iirc, and a format change. The sign isn't there anymore, and some of the signage on the King's Road side was removed. It also looks like they removed the large pizza oven. They never seemed busy, so a format change could make a lot of sense. A bakery and breakfast/lunch place would be a great niche to try and fill in the hood, so I'm hoping they go that direction.

Lastly, Lori's Takeaway Cafe, right across the street just closed permanently yesterday. There is a for-lease sign in the window.

Excellent first post!
  • Victoria Watcher and conga like this

Know it all.

#8595 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:29 AM

Sounds like things are tough in the Quadra Village food services sector. ☹️

#8596 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:42 AM

Some might suggest this doesn’t “counteract” inflation - instead it fuels it...

Of course raising the minimum wage fuels inflation, but good luck getting most people to understand this.

• lanforod likes this

#8597 conga

conga
  • 40 posts
  • LocationQuadra Village

Posted 27 February 2024 - 10:50 AM

Sounds like things are tough in the Quadra Village food services sector. ☹️

I'm sure it's not easy, but Fantastico is thriving, Alysa Pho seems like it's always busy at lunch, and Part and Parcel also seems to do well.

Maham and Pops was really busy at the beginning, and the hood seemed really onboard for that kind of place. It was on the expensive side though, and the quality and portions didn't seem to match the prices. The service was also very slow in my experience. I gave them a few chances, but eventually went back to my preferred spots for that cuisine.

Lori's might have closed partly due to an ownership split. I'm just speculating, but I stopped seeing one of the two operators around.

Bubby's I don't really know about. It seems like a tough location in a way, but I bet the right concept could do well there.

The Video Game store just off Kings Rd recently moved (to a bigger location across from Meet on Blanshard), and the Bead store just off Hillside is closing... so there might be issues not exclusive to the food services sector.

#8598 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:09 AM

How is the stamp store doing? I’d hate to see them have to resort to selling custom stamps.
  • Matt R. likes this

#8599 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:59 AM

This is why we are doomed as a country.

February of 2024 features an extra day, leading many to wonder whether employees are entitled to extra compensation, or if their work on the leap day will go unpaid.

“We’ve got a lot of employer clients calling in regarding this extra day in the calendar,” says Natalie Shallow, the head of service for small business HR software and support services provider BrightHR Canada. “The main question we’re getting is whether they should pay employees for the extra day in the calendar, and how to navigate that.”

The answer, according to Ms. Shallow, varies based on how the staff member is compensated. Shift workers and those who are paid hourly will be compensated for any work they put in on February 29th, as it will contribute to the hours they log, but the answer is less clear for those who receive an annual sum.

“For [those who are compensated on] the 15th and last day of the month it’s always two pay periods per month, so they actually end up losing out on that extra day,” says Ms. Shallow.

The only potential exception to that rule pertains to those who earn minimum wage, but are compensated on an annual basis. Ms. Shallow says those employees may see their total compensation for the year dip below the provincially mandated requirement, and thus may be entitled to extra compensation.

https://www.timescol...ap-year-8357741

Imagine the millions of salaried employees making minimum wage. Give me a break. Also all those idiot employers calling them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2024 - 12:01 PM.

• Nparker, Ismo07 and lanforod like this

#8600 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,897 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:21 PM

I have seen this question before and the answer is no, they aren’t getting paid an extra day.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users