Photo

Food carts & food trucks (mobile food vendors) in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#241 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

Has anyone noticed whether or not food trucks have been operating at the designated spot on Yates at Douglas? Beside those little puzzle piece bench thingies?

Can it finally be declared that the entire puzzle motif has been a resounding waste of time & money?

• Jackerbie likes this

#242 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

Yup. If you are not gonna touch it up and just let it go to hell, it's a waste.
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#243 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

I have seen no one there.... and I am by there alot.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#244 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Right. I'm down there very often myself and this year I haven't spotted a single truck.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#245 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

...I'm down there very often myself and this year I haven't spotted a single truck.

Unlike low-barrier shelters & pot shops, apparently this was a case of build it and they won't come.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#246 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

Unlike low-barrier shelters & pot shops, apparently this was a case of build it and they won't come.

Can it finally be declared that the entire puzzle motif has been a resounding waste of time & money?

The pigeons like it.

• Nparker likes this

#247 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:24 AM

"Beach Food" has started up again for the season on Esquimalt Lagoon in Colwood. Every Friday and Saturday food vendors setup shop near the southern end of the lagoon.

From the City of Colwood: "We want to encourage people to get out and active in the fresh air and enjoy our beautiful natural surroundings. Come for a stroll or a splash in the ocean and have your lunch or dinner at the beach with live local music on selected dates.

Two or three food vendors will set up in a designated area near the welcome sign on Ocean Boulevard every Friday and Saturday between 11am and 7pm from May through September (weather permitting)."

July dates will be posted at http://www.colwood.c...wood-waterfront

Friday July 28
*MUSIC by
Fine Spirits 5-7pm

Pepperman's Grill
Hungry Rooster
Mai Mai's West Coast Fusion
L'Authentique Poutine & Burger
Road Treasure Treats

#248 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

Sure beats hanging out on Yates at Douglas, I guess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#249 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

The Hungry Rooster food truck and its pierogi facility in Nanaimo are for sale for $195k and $250k, respectively. They can be sold together or separately.

Know it all.

#250 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

https://www.instagra...hoebesicecream/

https://www.phoebesiceceream.com/

#251 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

A closer look at the Sooke food truck experiment is on the menu.

The District of Sooke decided to serve up the option of allowing food trucks in several Sooke parks beginning May 1 to provide park visitors with food and refreshments, a pilot project that would run through the summer.

Sooke Coun. Al Beddows said he has some reservations about the decision, however, considering the impact it may have on local restaurants.

“We will start the experiment and see how it goes, but I still have some reservations,” Beddows said.

Having food trucks at Ed Macgregor Park, in close proximity to several restaurants, could negatively affect their business, Beddows noted.

https://www.vicnews....under-scrutiny/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 April 2021 - 08:49 AM.

#252 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:34 PM

Food trucks get green light to roll into 3 Saanich parks this summer

Beckwith, Cadboro-Gyro and Gorge Waterway parks will host up to two trucks every day until 9 p.m.

In December 2019, council unanimously agreed to temporarily welcome food trucks to Beckwith, Cadboro-Gyro, Gorge Waterway, Mount Douglas and Mount Tolmie parks for the summer of 2020. However, the pilot project – which staff estimated would cost about $40,000 – was postponed due to the pandemic.

https://www.saanichn...ks-this-summer/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 April 2021 - 04:34 PM.

• qv likes this

#253 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:13 PM

A pilot project that could have seen food trucks roll into a Central Saanich park this year won’t happen after all.

Council voted against plans for a pilot project that could have brought food trucks to Centennial Park (or Island View Regional Park), with Couns. Carl Jensen and Chris Graham opposed.

While staff had recommended a pilot project in May, additional consultation mandated by council found opposition among the businesses most likely affected by such a program at Centennial Park or Island View Regional Park, according to a staff report.

https://www.vicnews....-pilot-project/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 June 2021 - 12:13 PM.

#254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:21 PM

Good to see some common sense. Of course businesses would be impacted.

How would councillors Carlsen and Graham like it if an office worker randomly sat down next to them in their office, took work from them, and got paid for the work they did on their behalf while they got the same amount deducted, plus a portion of their wage for the day also got deducted from their pocket (a business still pays full rent, full property taxes and full wages when a food truck shows up, losing not only income but still incurring the same level of expenses as before).

Know it all.

#255 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:23 PM

a lot of simpletons can grasp the food truck concept. exactly why they should not be our leaders.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 June 2021 - 12:23 PM.

#256 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:44 PM

What restaurants are near those places anyway?

Capture.JPG

• sdwright.vic likes this

#257 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:46 PM

that’s not the point. set their fees similar to bricks/mortar in same region.

but municipalities always set their lease rate so low.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 June 2021 - 12:47 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#258 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:46 PM

I think Rob might be on to something. The report correspondence only received opposition from two cafes (located at Brentwood Bay & Saanichton) and one request to operate a food truck (well technically lemonade) at Island View beach. Sounds more like the whole idea wasn't worth anyone's time.

#259 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:55 PM

There's the Farm To Table Grill which has limited hours and Tonolli's Cafe on the other side of the highway. Other than than it's White Spot and the Shell gas station cafe which I'm sure will not be harmed.

#260 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:30 PM

Fulford has just received an ice creamtruck and will be receiving another food truck acting mainly as a pick up point for a meal plan, sure there will be some retail there as well.

We had near term plans to convert a building into an ice cream stall, great spot.

These food trucks are on what has been a vacant waterfront lot, used to be a Shell tank farm. I told them they need a porta potty and lots of garbage cans.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users