Photo

Election Night 2009

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

Anyone know where the various Victoria-area candidates and Yes/No STV campaigns will be gathering on election night? In 2005, all the local NDPers were in the Empress ballroom.

Always more fun to watch the results in the company of folks who have a direct stake in the outcome.

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

The Electoral Reform hordes will be at Spinnakers

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

Liberals are at Velox Rugby Club (3957 Gordon Head rd).

#4 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

NDP will be at the Empress as in the last election

#5 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

I'm gonna be counting ballots! No beer there!

#6 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

Good to read that - well done Yodsaker! Nice to know VV people are actively involved in the democratic process along with discussion.

Let us know how it goes!

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

That reminds me of the time Jeff Bray ran in Victoria-Beacon Hill in 2001 (before Carole James ousted him in 2005). I counted the votes the night of the election in front of a crowd and the local media at his constituency office while I was drunk the whole time. I've always been pretty good at adding numbers quickly and it's not like they gave a sobriety test beforehand, the previous guy just got burned out. It was awesome! It's funny because I ran into Jeff the other day but I'm pretty sure he never knew.
In chains by Keynes

#8 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

NDP will be at the Empress as in the last election

But I thought that they are the party of average, working British Columbians. :confused:

I might just wander over to spinnakers after the election to (hopefully) celebrate with the STVer's.

I will hunt you down and I will find you Bernard. (cue scary music). :D

Jacques, every British Columbian has a stake in politics. It's just whether they choose to exercise their stake.
In chains by Keynes

#9 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

I wonder how long it will take 'til a winner is announced. If voting is as close as polls suggest, it may be some time.

#10 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

That reminds me of the time Jeff Bray ran in Victoria-Beacon Hill in 2001 (before Carole James ousted him in 2005). I counted the votes the night of the election in front of a crowd and the local media at his constituency office while I was drunk the whole time. I've always been pretty good at adding numbers quickly and it's not like they gave a sobriety test beforehand, the previous guy just got burned out. It was awesome! It's funny because I ran into Jeff the other day but I'm pretty sure he never knew.

I sputtered on my coffee...you're proud of the fact you enjoy making a mockery of the electoral system by "participating" in it under the influence of alcohol...I really hope you aren't part of this election, or any future election. There is good participation and there is piss-participation...you've very cleverly shown the later...

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

I wonder how long it will take 'til a winner is announced. If voting is as close as polls suggest, it may be some time.

I say we know by 9pm, slightly faster than it takes in India:

http://www.google.co...d3QBErbksq0myyQ

#12 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Jacques, every British Columbian has a stake in politics. It's just whether they choose to exercise their stake.

I agree, we all have a stake. I said "direct stake in the outcome" because tonight many folks find out whether or not they have a job for the next four years. They have slightly more on the line than I do.

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:49 PM

I'll be counting ballots too after just running my own little mini-mobile poling station. Was me and my partner's first time so I hope we didn't destroy the election.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

For better or worse I voted.

I will be checking out the STV drinks thing and the Liberal one. More likely I will be at the Liberal one because I would like to be at one where the people will be up about winning the election overall.

#15 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

Well, no matter who you vote for, the government always gets in...
So, you take the red pill or the blue one, and hope for the best.

I do hope that STV passes, though.

#16 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

OK, I am upset enough at this point at the probable loss of for BC STV that I do not think I will be going out anywhere tonight.

I will be updating my thoughts on the blog and on Twitter , which will end up on Facebook

People are welcome to come by here with beer - that is 3103 Harriet Road, corner of Harriet and Maddock

#17 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

Hope STV loses.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

Ha, I watched on Global, but then their ticker seemed to break, and had no bottom-of-screen tally for the first 45 minutes at least, while I watched on CTV at the same time. Luckily I had 23 TVs to choose from to watch.

CBC Newsworld doing a much better job than I predicted, good on them, sorry for the advance criticism.

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

Hope STV loses.

It has lost.

#20 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

Locally the only riding that might change hands at this time is Oak Bay Gordon Head

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users