Photo

Election Night 2009

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

Don't worry Bernard, the STV referendum has worked well twice now, so it'll likely be back in another 4 years.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

Don't worry Bernard, the STV referendum has worked well twice now, so it'll likely be back in another 4 years.

Good to keep flogging a dead horse I guess....

Georgia Straight says STV is dead:

http://www.straight....ote-second-time

#23 CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

"It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion." - William Inge

The biggest hurdle the STV faced was getting people to care about the larger picture and look beyond their partisan loyalties.

The politics in this province are ridiculously partisan and dysfunctional, and the unsuccessful NDP campaign was a *wonderful* example of this.

Sad really.

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sad about the results.
My favourite candidate was not elected in the municipal election
The party I voted for federally lost.
The provincial vote brought a majority government, which means I can kiss Jordan River goodbye (actually I would have been upset either way there - if the NDP had won they would have likely put me out of a job.) I was hoping for a minority which would stop either party from excess.
Electoral Reform died in flames tonight, and with it my last hope of any kind of fair representation in future elections.

It's enough to make me want to go jump off Johnson Street Bridge.
Oh wait... That's going the way of the dodo too.

/le sigh.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#25 Newlywednotnearlydead

Newlywednotnearlydead
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

Well, my preferred party won and STV lost, so I'm happy. The NDP served up the same recycled platform they've used for, well, as long as I can remember, so it's not at all surprising they didn't grab enough attention to win election. And for a left-of-center party to turn an environmental issue (carbon tax) into a key campaign issue was utter stupidity.

#26 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

Although I am absolutely devastated by STV's rejection, I can at least be satisfied with the fact there will be no NDP government for the next four years.

#27 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

The Island did what the Island always does. It votes drastically in favour of the losing party and then whines for the next 4 years that we don't get the attention we deserve.

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

I wish we had more of a say in who becomes various ministers. Rich Coleman, IMO, did not deserve to be re-elected after the Jordan River mess.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

Pretty much.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#30 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

Vancouver Island republic plz. Vancouver can finally be the capital of BC.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#31 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

Well, my preferred party won and STV lost, so I'm happy.

In other words you don't give a rat's ass about fairness or democracy, you just want your party to win. How truly noble. :rolleyes: The irony is that I too voted for the Liberals and are happy they won, but even more importantly, I wanted STV to win.

phx, you really think that with support for STV dropping by about a third since the referendum in 2005, the Liberals will bring it back in 2013? Shake your head, it wasn't even close this time. That will be the last chance we have for a long time to drop our ridiculous FPTP system, especially if the election results are like the last two.

BCer's you blew it tonight. Sadly, partisanship is all that matters in BC.
In chains by Keynes

#32 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

Big story of the night, voter turn out is way down. We may not pass 1.5 million voters, that would be more than a quarter million fewer than in 2005. This would make it lower than the number that voted in 1996 and 2001 as well.

We are looking at less than 50% of registered voters voting

#33 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:06 PM

Also, looks like Murray Coell will be sole cabinet member to be defeated

#34 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

Big story of the night, voter turn out is way down. We may not pass 1.5 million voters, that would be more than a quarter million fewer than in 2005. This would make it lower than the number that voted in 1996 and 2001 as well.

We are looking at less than 50% of registered voters voting

Blame the Canucks.

#35 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

The no vote in the referendum is close to the same total as in 2004, the Yes side is at about half the total votes of last time

#36 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:08 PM

The Island did what the Island always does. It votes drastically in favour of the losing party and then whines for the next 4 years that we don't get the attention we deserve.

I'm not sure I understand this. What is it we're whining about not getting?

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

BCer's you blew it tonight. Sadly, partisanship is all that matters in BC.

Sad but true.:(

#38 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:12 PM

There's a thread somewhere buried in this forum where someone compared the money that Gov spends in areas where it wasn't elected vs money that gov spends in areas where it got the votes. The disadvantage to a region of standing behind a the wrong party was fairly dramatic.

Thus the whining.

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

Big story of the night, voter turn out is way down....we are looking at less than 50% of registered voters voting

In other words our government for the next 4 years was chosen by about only 23% of the electorate. R.I.P. Democracy

#40 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:19 PM

Murray Coell looks like he is back, some big late polls came in for him

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users