Photo

[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
3104 replies to this topic

#2041 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

I DEMAND a full washroom on every transit bus ... it's my right, it's the law!

The law recognizes and is guided by the concept of a "reasonable person", if you won't be reasonable, you have nothing. Moving on.

• Matt R. likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#2042 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

But you've failed to answer the question as to why, when you insist that I (with my weak bladder) can take alternate transportation ... another person with a walker can't also take alternate transportation - you know, like a city bus that goes to exactly the same place as the train goes, but the bus can drop down to accommodate.

The tons of carbon emissions, the hundreds of thousands of gallons of gas, the massive waste of human energy that are a result of the Colwood Crawl would vanish with a train ... but for the half a dozen people with walkers who (for some reason) can't (in your scenario) take a normal city bus, we're not going to build it, and we're not going to deal with the problems we currently have with transportation on the South Island.

I, a "reasonable person", have proposed a solution.

You, in an unreasonable capacity, propose one scenario for me, and a completely different scenario for a person with a different disability than my own.

Only one unreasonable voice in this exchange, and that voice isn't typing as this sentence is being written.

Edited by Cassidy, 18 May 2018 - 02:41 PM.

#2043 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

If we're going back to the idea of basic service on the existing line with something like the Siemens Regio Sprinter or whatever the current equivalent is, wouldn't such a vehicle be able to accommodate anyone? (wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, strollers, bicycles... you name it?)

I really do wish the authorities had taken up the offer back in the day and tested a couple of those trains for a while. So many questions would have been answered one way or another.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#2044 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Well I said the thing would work absolutely wonderfully here, except for crossings at grade. And native reserves.

Mariash wonders why he was never consulted. I guess because he has nothing to do with anything. He’s just a citizen like any of us. Were we consulted?

Putting buses on rail line route near impossible, says developer Mariash

More:

http://www.timescolo...iash-1.23306569

Didn't Mariash put up a million bucks for the study?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2045 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:50 PM

He says he did. Not sure if we’ve seen that study.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2046 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:08 PM

It would be great to see that study.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2047 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

Didn't Mariash put up a million bucks for the study?

I'm in my study right now, and it never cost me that much.

#2048 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

I'm in my study right now, and it never cost me that much.

Ah, but is your study in one of the Bayview towers?

#2049 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

So at $60/hour did Mariash actually spend over 16,000 man hours on his study?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2050 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

^I highly doubt a consultant is that cheap, try at least 150 and more likely 200+

#2051 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Ok. 5,000 man hours at $200. What did they come up with? Let’s see the report.

#2052 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

Maybe it is the same report Horgan is referencing, just different interpretations.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2053 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

Meh...buses or trains, trains or buses.....

I predict that as usual Victoria will study and re-study and then, just for good measure, study the problem yet again, meanwhile implementing only minimal and likely inadequate solutions in the short term: "short term" by the standards of Dysfunction-by-the-Sea of course could mean mean anything up to 20 years or more. Hence the need to continually "study" the issue! 

Perhaps we should just build a hyperloop - maybe talk to these guys: heck they're even Canadian -

https://mashable.com...n/#0J14rfJ5gmqK

#2054 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

'Commuter train became less viable when new bridge was built without rail: Horgan'

http://www.timescolo...rgan-1.23307909

He is not wrong.  Rapid bus could work, if not on E&N than on douglas.  make it look like a train, give it a cool name, nice 'stations', and Wi-Fi and you will get users

• splashflash likes this

#2055 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

He says he did. Not sure if we’ve seen that study.

It was $300K to $500K 18 months ago.

http://www.timescolo...-line-1.4199392

#2056 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

People still have to get to the train-like bus.

80% of commuters like their cars and very little will change that. Government knows this, but since taxpayers foot the bills for these sorts of projects their business case is pretty malleable.

We just had a plush commuter bus service from the West Shore fold. You can’t get much better than a skookum coach service and yet the experiment still failed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2057 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

It was $300K to $500K 18 months ago.

http://www.timescolo...-line-1.4199392

He has also used both $1M and $2M in Media interviews this week.

#2058 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

'Commuter train became less viable when new bridge was built without rail: Horgan'

He is not wrong. Rapid bus could work, if not on E&N than on douglas. make it look like a train, give it a cool name, nice 'stations', and Wi-Fi and you will get users

Love how he just knee capped the city...

Gee... maybe we should of built a bridge with rail?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2059 splashflash

splashflash
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Lisa Helps is concurring with Horgan about his integrated bus argument, meaning fewer tansfers than commuter or light rail. Presumably buses from Esquimalt would continue from the bridge and down the Douglas bus lanes to Uvic or west on the Trans-Canada Hwy to Langford.

Would new Langford E&N bus lanes connect to the Trans-Canada bus lanes instead or in addition to the currently planned Highway 1A, Island Highway bus lanes from Colwood? Would the whole E&N corridor have bus lanes or owing to corridor width and possible speed restrictions would they be absent between the Island Highway Admirals? Would they have a gap at Songhees first nation reserve with lanes only starting south of the reserve or perhaps being only one-way, east-bound, from Colville and Admirals to Esquimalt Road?

#2060 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

^ Good luck....this thread is like someone that has gone off their meds, repeating the same info without taking the discussed issues and additional info into account....

The E&N would have gone straight into town with one or two stops.  The "Rapid Bus" lane will stop over and over and over and over and over again getting gets stuck in traffic lights towards town. 

The "Luxury Bus" from Langford to downtown on the TCH was the height of stupidity. Pay a premium to sit in the same traffic...and then somehow link it as an experiment to a rail line that doesn't use the same bottleneck.

Sadly, as Horgan pointed out, the decision to kill rail over the bridge was probably the one that kills rail.   Ultimately, it will probably force more government agencies to buildings in the Westshore and Saanich.  (i. e. one ministry that is now going there).  Bad time to be living in Oak Bay as a gov employee.

• Bingo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users