Photo

[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
3104 replies to this topic

#1781 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

Thank goodness the good folks in Cowichan restored Kinsol before the JSB fiasco.

Restored for 7.2 million.

https://www.wd-deo.g...ng/77_13047.asp

#1782 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

It’s a plan that prominent developer Ken Mariash, owner of Focus Equities, has been working on for the last six to eight months, meeting regularly with key stakeholders in the region such as city mayors.

Yes, and I would say that Mariash has certainly delivered and continues to deliver on his projects in Victoria.

There are a lot of naysayers on the forum that really don't want the E&N to get up and running again because crow is out of season.

In last Sunday's Islander

Mariash expects another six structures will be built, including a hotel. A retail marketplace will be incorporated into the 1886 heritage railway buildings, including the Roundhouse, to bring everyday commerce and activity to the area.

It’s a large-scale project for Victoria. At completion, the entire development is expected to be worth more than $1 billion. It will include parks, an interpretive centre explaining the heritage significance of the Roundhouse and likely other amenities, including the display of railway artifacts.

Mariash likes multi-dimensional projects that are so complicated they frighten away other builders.

http://www.timescolo...lace-1.23091908

• Nparker likes this

#1783 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

Ken Mariash built Bayview One and sold off the development rights to Bosa Properties for Promontory and Encore.

The 26-storey tower will be built in-house as of today, but that might change. The seniors residence I’m not sure about.

I can’t wait for the Roundhouse retail component to move forward.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1784 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

Restored for 7.2 million.

https://www.wd-deo.g...ng/77_13047.asp

That was just a refurb to take pedestrians and horses etc. across.  The last train across it was in the 70's.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1785 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:45 AM

Waiting for a train? Expect several more years of delay: Liberal transportation critic Jordan Sturdy called the decision disappointing and another example of the new government’s 'analysis paralysis'

MORE:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1786 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

Waiting for a train? Expect several more years of delay: Liberal transportation critic Jordan Sturdy called the decision disappointing and another example of the new government’s 'analysis paralysis'

MORE:

Afraid to act.

In the three months since taking office, the NDP have pledged to take an in-depth look at everything from money-laundering and marijuana to forest fires, floods and the Site C dam.

Premier John Horgan argues that the studies are crucial for a government that failed to win a majority of seats and now relies on three Green MLAs to remain in power.

“I believe that we are taking steps to ensure that when we make decisions in a minority parliament, that we’ve consulted as broadly as possible,” he said.

The Liberals, however, have taken to mocking the growing number of reviews, citing them as evidence of a government afraid to act.

http://www.timescolo...elated_articles

#1787 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

That's exactly what's happening.

The NDP know rail is dead, so they'll kick the can down the road as far as they can to push what was supposed to be a study delivered last summer into a massive undertaking the results of which we won't likely see until closer to the next election.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1788 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

I'd rather they kick the can down the road than make more billion dollar boondoggle decisions.

• VicHockeyFan and Lorenzo like this

#1789 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

With every few kicks though we buy another $250,000 set of lights and arms that will never be used.

#1790 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

With every few kicks though we buy another $250,000 set of lights and arms that will never be used.

I think they cost more than that.  Aren't they all done in the CRD now though?

#1791 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

They're kicking the can down the road in order to delay delivering the inevitable news that ...this just ain't worth it, unless George Soros starts funding rail lines instead of protesters.

Know it all.

#1792 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

I think they cost more than that.  Aren't they all done in the CRD now though?

I guess, but they have either been costing money or delaying improvements all up and down the line here to Courtenay.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 November 2017 - 08:57 AM.

#1793 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

Rail study delayed, sunshine coast highway study delayed, another George Massey tunnel replacement review underway, and now the highway 14 study has to be redone as per premier. See a pattern?

Edited by malahatdrive, 23 November 2017 - 09:57 AM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1794 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

Remember when someone FOI'd for the background to the Massey decision and zero records came back.  I understand the concern but I think at this point it's prudent to go back and revisit that one and the sunshine coast highway projects.  Highway 14 was just an expansion of the study.  The rail study was really BS election-time optics by the Liberals and it makes sense it didn't go forward during the interregnum and s-show that happened after the election.

Maybe if the previous gov't actually did a few studies they wouldn't have signed us up for the white elephant site C that now will almost certainly continue on, hosing us on hydro bills in perpetuity.

#1795 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

Remember when someone FOI'd for the background to the Massey decision and zero records came back.  I understand the concern but I think at this point it's prudent to go back and revisit that one and the sunshine coast highway projects.  Highway 14 was just an expansion of the study.  The rail study was really BS election-time optics by the Liberals and it makes sense it didn't go forward during the interregnum and s-show that happened after the election.

Maybe if the previous gov't actually did a few studies they wouldn't have signed us up for the white elephant site C that now will almost certainly continue on, hosing us on hydro bills in perpetuity.

That part of your post makes me ignore any good points in the rest of the post.

#1796 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

Rail study delayed, sunshine coast highway study delayed, another George Massey tunnel replacement review underway, and now the highway 14 study has to be redone as per premier. See a pattern?

A lot of one-legged ducks limping around looking for nothing to do.   :1954_dancing:

#1797 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

That part of your post makes me ignore any good points in the rest of the post.

Uh, I can be generally supportive of hydroelectric dams and also think we should have maybe studied a 10 billion dollar project a bit more before starting it.

#1798 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

^ fair enough, but 'white elephant' and 'hosing us with hydro bills' comments don't reflect that.

#1799 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

My wife says I'm a tad dramatic.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1800 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

...but 'white elephant' and 'hosing us with hydro bills' comments don't reflect that.

Especially since the latter will happen whether or not Site C proceeds.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users