Victoria Mayor Wants To Create 'vibrant' Downtown Victoria

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

Sorry who prepared the report?

I generally agree most of the points; however, I am strongly against Bar Watch.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

Yup agree with everything except the Bar Watch part. Will be good for neighbourhood pubs though. Sad that i won't be able to go to any downtown bar anymore.

#23 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

Sorry who prepared the report?

I generally agree most of the points; however, I am strongly against Bar Watch.

It was likely a staff report. I too will not be frequenting Bar Watch establishments. But I am more strongly against funding further installations of $40k outdoor toilet art, that only has a usable life of 10 years.

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

The report was authored by the task force (Fortin, Thornton-Joe and Chief Graham) but I'm sure there was staff input as well.

I have the report here and will try to excerpt some highlights. If anyone has any specific questions I'll try to answer them.

Here is my favourite:

"The Responsible Hospitality Institute's research [...] demonstrates the need to balance expectations and preferences of men and women with regard to the environment they seek out".

What Women Want...

• Clean, well-equipped restrooms
  • Safe, well-lit parking and entrance
  • Identifiable staff (uniforms)
  • Crowd control
  • Seating
  • Dancing
  • Music
  • Places to talk
  • Drink menu
  • Light food
  • Choices

What Men Want...

• Women
  • Beer
  • Sports
  • More beer

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

^ I am not sure if you are joking...

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

^ I am not sure if you are joking...

No, it is real -- it's taken from the RHI.

They identify six core elements of a vibrant and welcoming hospitality zone:
  • Service, Security and Safety
  • Multi-use Sidewalks
  • Community Policing
  • Integrated Late-night transportation
  • Music and Entertainment
  • Quality of Life

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:26 AM

No, it is real -- it's taken from the RHI.

They identify six core elements of a vibrant and welcoming hospitality zone:

• Service, Security and Safety
  • Multi-use Sidewalks
  • Community Policing
  • Integrated Late-night transportation
  • Music and Entertainment
  • Quality of Life

Wow than I am offended.

#28 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:59 AM

What Men Want...

• Women
  • Beer
  • Sports
  • More beer

Interesting that they found that women are interested in none of those things. Apparently, they must have surveyed the Amazon city of Lesbos, where the women are only into each other and are otherwise at home knitting and drinking cocoa.

This RHI is an actual Institute, so you know its findings must be real good.

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:21 PM

I'll be on C-FAX Thursday at 12:30 p.m. discussing the release of the task force report.

A group of stakeholders including representatives from the bar owners, business community and the City will meet in the afternoon to help co-ordinate the recommendations.

The report can be downloaded from the City's website here.

#30 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

I wish they wouldn't discard the idea of later closing times. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I go out with friends clubbing, things don't get started until about 12.30am. This leaves you with only an hour and a half.. during which many people "power drink". I was visiting Spain and France this fall, and enjoyed the fact that most night spots run until dawn on Friday and Saturday nights. People were better behaved and not as drunk. I didn't see much that would resemble the binging culture we have here.

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

I wish they wouldn't discard the idea of later closing times. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I go out with friends clubbing, things don't get started until about 12.30am. This leaves you with only an hour and a half.. during which many people "power drink". I was visiting Spain and France this fall, and enjoyed the fact that most night spots run until dawn on Friday and Saturday nights. People were better behaved and not as drunk. I didn't see much that would resemble the binging culture we have here.

Drinking attitudes are also different over there. I recall Vancouver tried later closing times which resulted in disaster.

Tip: Go earlier, don't "power drink".

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#32 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

Yes, I know, going earlier is obviously an option.. but you'll feel lonely until the place fills up after midnight. Club culture doesn't start until Midnight anywhere.

Yes, the laws and the attitude in Europe are much different, and refreshingly so. Little in the way of restrictions. Wine and baguettes are consumed in the city parks! and they can manage to have public events like a fireworks show where people are beer in hand during the show. I wonder why it seems we cannot handle it the same way?

#33 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

Yes, the laws and the attitude in Europe are much different, and refreshingly so. Little in the way of restrictions. I wonder why it seems we cannot handle it the same way?

Very refreshing going to a "footie match" and seeing all the mature, thoughtful behaviour there.

I am very glad our culture is different, except for a couple of notable exceptions.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#34 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

Very refreshing going to a "footie match" and seeing all the mature, thoughtful behaviour there.

I am very glad our culture is different, except for a couple of notable exceptions.

LOL.. good point - well I have no experience at one of these footing events, and no interest either. Though I have heard the numerous stories for sure. Still, it is a different scene from club culture and the issues we are trying to address here in Victoria - and I still think wine and baguettes in beacon hill is a fun thing to do if it were allowed (or if you can pay the silly fine). I am a very proud Canadian, however it seems our founding puritan laws are perhaps causing more trouble rather than containing the problems as was originally intended.

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

I see no reason why a couple shouldn't be allowed to enjoy wine and bread, or cheese or whatever in the park, beach, etc.. It's the drive home after the wine that I'm worried about.

That and all the idiots think it is an open invitation to down a case of beer and wreck the place.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#36 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

I see no reason why a couple shouldn't be allowed to enjoy wine and bread, or cheese or whatever in the park, beach, etc.. It's the drive home after the wine that I'm worried about.

That and all the idiots think it is an open invitation to down a case of beer and wreck the place.

For sure.. Wine on the beach is one thing, but driving under the influence is another. Those of us who may enjoy can hopefully walk home safely. As for those who cause a disturbance.. laws already exist to deal with such behaviour.

#37 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

The DRA is part of the "Late Night, Great Night" committee and we were talking about positive ways to inform late night patrons, mostly nightclubbers of the amenities available to them.

We acknowledged that many people don't plan ahead (who plans the day before on eating hot dogs at 2 am? Yet Mr. Tube Steak is very popular then). So merely publicizing things like taxi stands, urinals, late night eateries using traditional media won't get the message through.

Then I thought, what about texting. Say in the bar there was a sign at the exit or maybe a sign on the sidewalk that said (for example) Taxi stand locations: text TAXI to 12345, for urinals, text PEE to 12345; for restaurants and food stands open past midnight text EAT to 12345 etc etc.

What do you think of this? I suppose you could make a Facebook page but it would probably get lost in the firehose of information young people consume nightly. I think the info has to be searchable (you look for it) as opposed to coming to you.

#38 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:14 AM

Not a bad idea. A 'mobile' website would be good as well.

What about signage in the bathrooms of clubs? Customize them so you have a map of where they are and where late night amenities can be found.

#39 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

Not a bad idea for the younger crowd but you'd have to give them spelling lessons too. I'm not sure that drunk people could text very accurately. Heck, most sober-texting that I have seen is poorly typed.

#40 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

Not a bad idea for the younger crowd but you'd have to give them spelling lessons too. I'm not sure that drunk people could text very accurately. Heck, most sober-texting that I have seen is poorly typed.

OMG! Lyk WTF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users