Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

^^ real nice.

#63 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

I like that photo of the fireworks. He has some really good photos in his albums.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#64 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

fantastic shot you found and posted, aastra! I'm inspired to post my own shot.. so here it is! as some remarked, the show is short.. but still a bunch of fun. Some question whether it's worth continuing.. I love living downtown and being able to see this right outside my window. Regarding the party atmosphere downtown, that exists across Canada. We're new to it, that's all. I moved here twelve years ago back when hardly anything happened on Canada day. When I lived in Ottawa there was drunken revelry everywhere as you can imagine.. It should not be a surprise to Victoria or be canceled because of such rowdy behaviour. That's how most people have fun on Canada day.. Yes, control the property damage with large fines, but you will never stop Canadians from celebrating Canada day with beer and parties! It seems that Victoria is going through some growing pains, and I hope it doesn't snuff out the fun in the process.

#65 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

^ Well said!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#66 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

I preferred it when the fireworks were out on Clover Point. Things seemed a lot more mellow, though it was always really cold!

#67 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:38 PM

I preferred it when the fireworks were out on Clover Point. Things seemed a lot more mellow, though it was always really cold!

The traffic situation afterward resembled the Kuwait-Basra highway after the first Gulf War. Though I'm sure Port Angeleans appreciated the fireworks.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,760 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

It seems that Victoria is going through some growing pains, and I hope it doesn't snuff out the fun in the process.

The funny thing about Victoria is that events tend to get smaller as the city gets larger, and yet the amount of trouble tends to increase. Consider: the attendance for the nightly festivities during the Commonwealth Games was well in excess of anything Victoria has seen since then, and yet it all went down very smoothly.

Cpl. Darrell McLean summed it up: "The Games scored a 9.8 out of 10. "Crowd estimates were over 100,000 on Saturday night and we only had 19 overnight arrests - which is nothing. Normally we have that number anyway. "I'd say this city put on an extremely good show."

Times-Colonist. Victoria, B.C.: Aug 29, 1994.

Not much need for .50-calibre "Grisly" machine-guns when 100,000 people can amass down in the harbour for an international get- together virtually without incident.

Times-Colonist. Victoria, B.C.: Aug 29, 1994.

"When there's 70,000 people and 15 arrests, that's pretty damn good," Victoria Police Staff Sgt. Dave Thornley said Thursday. "At Swiftsure, there are 10,000 downtown and 500 arrests."

Times-Colonist. Victoria, B.C.: Aug 26, 1994.

#69 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

Nice photos! (couple of posts up, from forumer and from flickr)

Here's another good one from a blog called muddylaces.ca (the link takes you to his/her fireworks/ Canada Day post, with more photos):

I like how you get an image of the city here - which is what's also so attractive with the flickr one that aastra posted. The buildings in that one look magical. In Pyroteknik's photo you get the full effect of the firework explosion - also very impressive.

I didn't go out to watch them - but I have to add my 2-cents to those who commented on how brief they were. And faint. My dog usually freaks out at fireworks, but he slept right through this set...

@ aastra: good points re. the city getting larger, events getting smaller, but problems appearing as increasingly intractable. What's up with that?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#70 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

@ aastra: good points re. the city getting larger, events getting smaller, but problems appearing as increasingly intractable. What's up with that?

That is easy. There are more people to complain about events and subsequently they get downsized and people then complain even more!

#71 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

All fireworks suck.

No way were all men created equal. According to some of the country's top statisticians, exactly half of them are below average, and that is the segment of the population most likely to get too excited about fireworks. Other species highly intrigued by bright lights include moths and venison.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#72 aastra

aastra
  • 20,760 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

The traffic situation afterward resembled the Kuwait-Basra highway after the first Gulf War.

In retrospect, it probably wasn't such a great idea to strafe the post-fireworks traffic from helicopters. If you can't move, you can't move, regardless of how great the incentive to move might be.

#73 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

In retrospect, it probably wasn't such a great idea to strafe the post-fireworks traffic from helicopters. If you can't move, you can't move, regardless of how great the incentive to move might be.

Never underestimate the iron will of the Fairfield Community Association.

#74 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Never underestimate the iron will of the Fairfield Community Association.

I laughed so the laughter and helicpoter shall live in harmony.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#75 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

Canada is NOT a free country and I don't know why people don't understand this yet. We are subjects of the crown and always will be.

#76 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Everyone is subject to someone else unless you're living on a raft in the middle of the pacific ocean, and even then there's some international treaties and such.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#77 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

Other species highly intrigued by bright lights include moths and venison.

The analogy to moths is obvious but I don't get the analogy to venison.
In chains by Keynes

#78 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

The analogy to moths is obvious but I don't get the analogy to venison.

Spotlighting

#79 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

^venison is deer meat though, not deer, which is why I was confused because I thought, "why would meat be attracted to bright lights?" :confused:

It helps to use the right words.
In chains by Keynes

#80 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:03 AM

71uaA8zAXRtN.gif

giphy.gif

-Todd

• Mike K. and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users