Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

The ultimate Canada Day bartender!

• todd likes this

#82 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:57 PM

We live right around the corner literally from the Gorge Road festivities which we always enjoy including today. Not sure what the crowd count is for the entire celebration but it must be 25-30,000. Great for people watching and this year especially quite the muscle and vintage car lineup. Lots of emphasis on "Canadiana" including roadside bands playing live gigs on several private properties fronting Gorge Road, and of course the inevitable day-long street hockey tournament.

My fav moment today was the hockey players spontaneously grabbing a little guy whose family were recent arrivals from the Middle East I believe. They plunked an over-sized helmet on his noggin and found some gloves that (sort of) fit and a stick he could barely handle and threw him in the middle of the game. Look on his face and that of the parent's was pure gold: the tyke couldn't stop smiling and dad was clearly overwhelmed: "Canada....ice hockey....Wayne Gretzky!!" Priceless. Welcome to Canada kid....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 01 July 2018 - 02:58 PM.

• Rob Randall, Nparker, sebberry and 6 others like this

#83 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:51 PM

What a great story - and I don't even like hockey.

#84 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

What a great story - and I don't even like hockey.

You think seducing a vulnerable part of our population into such a barbaric activity is a good story

#85 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

Ha, well I love the hockey story!

Come on Victoria, let's get our Canada Day picnic back in Beacon Hill park for those of us at this end of town, so we don't have to "drive" to get to a civic picnic.

Edited by mbjj, 02 July 2018 - 07:28 AM.

#86 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

Why couldn't it have been a clean sport like curling teaches kids to sweep

#87 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,007 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:39 AM

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond, the director of the University of British Columbia's Residential School History and Dialogue Centre, has been appointed by the provincial government to investigate accusations that some B.C. emergency room staff played a game to guess the blood-alcohol levels of Indigenous patients.

She said Celebrations like Canada Day, Victoria Day and St-Jean-Baptiste Day are symbols of colonialism.

https://www.timescol...ions-1.24162363

#88 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:48 AM

Canada is a symbol of colonialism...as are most nations on the planet if you go back in time far enough. What a pointless statememt to make.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#89 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,007 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:25 AM

Happy Canada Day!

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#90 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

Happy Birthday Canada. You're looking pretty damn good for 153!

HCD.jpg

• Greg and mbjj like this

#91 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

I was just at the leg. No celebrations today but apparently there will be a peaceful gathering in support of our rights and freedoms and to speak up against their erosion. Not the BLM/Antifa type of gathering.

#92 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:37 AM

71uaA8zAXRtN.gif
giphy.gif
-Todd

• Nparker, Matt R., Love the rock and 1 other like this

#93 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:44 AM

No fireworks today but please enjoy watching Todd reruns: https://youtu.be/eY3UZK87YTo

#94 m3m

m3m
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:20 AM

I was just at the leg. No celebrations today but apparently there will be a peaceful gathering in support of our rights and freedoms and to speak up against their erosion. Not the BLM/Antifa type of gathering.

Drove by a short while ago. It’s largely anti-vaxx, 5G, tin foil hat types

I’m also somewhat surprised we don’t have a 5G conspiracy thread on the forum yet.

Edited by m3m, 01 July 2020 - 11:21 AM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#95 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:25 AM

Drove by a short while ago. It’s largely anti-vaxx, 5G, tin foil hat types

I’m also somewhat surprised we don’t have a 5G conspiracy thread on the forum yet.

Don't tempt fate. At any moment we are exactly one word-salad Trump-tweet away from having a half-dozen people on here vociferously defending a new conspiracy theory.

• Nparker and Brayvehart like this

#96 m3m

m3m
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:29 AM

Don't tempt fate. At any moment we are exactly one word-salad Trump-tweet away from having a half-dozen people on here vociferously defending a new conspiracy theory.

That’s exactly what a lizard-person would say.
  • Greg and Brayvehart like this

#97 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:47 PM

She said Celebrations like Canada Day, Victoria Day and St-Jean-Baptiste Day are symbols of colonialism.

https://www.timescol...ions-1.24162363

Canada Day is one of those holidays like Father's Day, Victoria Day and Christmas where you know that some folks would wish them banned.

#98 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:39 PM

Cancel Canada Day protest is getting underway next to the Gassy Jack statue in Gastown at this hour. 

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:42 AM

Spent the day digging holes for a fence. I've had just about enough of the deer.

Speaking of which, it was actually nice hearing people tending to their yards, working on projects, etc., on Canada Day. It's a holiday, and you have to be conscious of people's desire for some peace and quiet, but the distant buzz of saws, the sound of lawnmowers and the general clanging about as people did their thing was actually quite heartwarming and pleasant.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#100 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:01 AM

Yeah or one Buzzfeed '5G has a white supremacy problem' article and you'll have your marching orders

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users