Photo

Canada Day in Victoria.

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#141 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 06:45 PM

I won’t be “celebrating” Canada day the way I normally would given the recent discoveries. However, I’m not judging other people’s choices

#142 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 07:19 PM

I have to admit it feels a little subversive displaying a couple flags and banners this year.

#143 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 07:28 PM

I feel great displaying them.

• Nparker, Redd42, Wayne and 4 others like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#144 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:38 PM

I'm really glad to see affection for the country is waning. Hopefully it's near its end.

#145 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,046 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 02:30 AM

There are plenty of theories about what is motivating thieves to steal dozens of rented Canadian flags from Oak Bay homeowners’ lawns, but the Oak Bay Rotary Club just wants to see them returned.

__\___________

“This is definitely a deviation over past years,” said Deputy Chief Mark Fisher of the volume of thefts. He declined to speculate on the motive for the thefts, but did note that the marking of Canada Day this year has had controversy surrounding it.

https://www.oakbayne...ead-of-july-1/#

there are plenty of theories but here at vicpress we will not print any of them.

and here at OBPD we will also not speak.

Garbage.

#146 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 06:06 AM

Is it anti-Canada Day or anti-Rotary? I always thought the Rotary flags were a bit over the top(just saying). Liked it better when people put up their own flags.

Edited by todd, 01 July 2021 - 06:07 AM.

#147 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 06:28 AM

71uaA8zAXRtN.gif
giphy.gif
-Todd

• Nparker, A Girl is No one, On the Level and 3 others like this

#148 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:20 AM

Are any municipalities doing fireworks or having any kind of parade/celebration this year?

#149 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 09:52 AM

Cycled through downtown and the Inner Harbour area this morning, significantly more orange shirts than any red and white Canada apparel.
  • gstc84 and Brayvehart like this

#150 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 10:42 AM

Lots of Canadian flags on my street this year, last year there was none.
  • Nparker and jrm like this

#151 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 11:21 AM

I hadn't put one up for years, but felt a need to do so this year.  I obviously think the whole residential school debacle was horrific, but you have to be pretty fortunate to live in Canada and shouldn't take it for granted.

• Nparker, rjag, Love the rock and 4 others like this

#152 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 02:50 PM

I saw quite a few red shirts today. I don't actually own a red shirt, or orange, so wore dark pink. Went into the park, lots of folks enjoying themselves, some playing horseshoes, golfing, cricket game, lots of walkers and cyclists and I think the petting zoo was open. Saw a First Nations' guy walking near the Leg. with a Canadian flag too. The lawn bowling place by the Crystal Gardens, I think everyone was wearing red and white. I hope there are no trouble makers downtown tonight.

• jrm likes this

#153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 04:46 PM

Downtown felt very deserted this morning. I had coffee on the Parkside patio, and very few people were out and about by the time we left at ~2PM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#154 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 06:59 PM

Downtown felt very deserted this morning. I had coffee on the Parkside patio, and very few people were out and about by the time we left at ~2PM.

We have always spent Canada Town downtown, but this year we went for a drive out Sooke way and stopped in at Stickleback for lunch.  It was busy and it felt like a holiday.  Great view from the patio.

#155 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:16 PM

mowed my lawn and detailed my car. Just another day....

#156 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:24 PM

^^ You need to be careful of the patio at Stickleback.

We got boat fever while having lunch there once …and had to buy another one.

• Matt R., Redd42 and Teardrop like this

#157 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:02 PM

First full day with the new business, already had a fridge repair call and a few other shenanigans. We have a lot to learn. Both were very, very busy but the rest of the weekend will be bonkers.

Happy Canada day everyone!

Matt.
  • Nparker, Greg and Teardrop like this

#158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:04 PM

Captain James Cook statue has been tossed into the harbour: https://www.instagra...m/p/CQz4ms0gk7Y

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#159 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:35 PM

First full day with the new business, already had a fridge repair call and a few other shenanigans. We have a lot to learn. Both were very, very busy but the rest of the weekend will be bonkers.

Happy Canada day everyone!

Matt.

Probably better asked in the Covid thread but I was wondering if there are any restrictions left for restaurants or pubs? Size of group? % of capacity of the venue?

Was at Thrifty's today and most people were still wearing masks, including the staff and myself. Also took the bus and everyone was still wearing masks. I would guess though a significant percentage of that might be from habit or just not knowing masks are now optional.

#160 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:41 PM

Probably better asked in the Covid thread but I was wondering if there are any restrictions left for restaurants or pubs? Size of group? % of capacity of the venue?

Was at Thrifty's today and most people were still wearing masks, including the staff and myself. Also took the bus and everyone was still wearing masks. I would guess though a significant percentage of that might be from habit or just not knowing masks are now optional.

No, not really. I’m still digesting the new PHO, take a look.

https://www2.gov.bc....C__NOTIFICATION

We added just two seats today, and will add five seats to the cafe bar, and a table and two chairs in the cafe but that’s it. We aren’t adding the remaining 20+ seats to the dining room anytime soon, it’s just way too busy with what we have in the dining room, patio (52) and takeout is nuts. Just nuts.

I think one or two of my crew were choosing to wear masks today, the other 45 were happy to ditch them although one person was going to wear one selectively when it gets very busy, which I think is smart.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 01 July 2021 - 08:59 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users