Photo

Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#2861 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:54 PM

So they must be talking about something else, is that what we're surmising? Because the Bayview hotel wouldn't be "in downtown Victoria"?

#2862 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:09 PM

I guess this would fall under tourism...

Tofino Bus has been acquired by a holding company connected to John Wilson, CEO of Wilson’s Group:

https://www.cheknews...-nov-15-505986/

#2863 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:34 AM

So they must be talking about something else, is that what we're surmising? Because the Bayview hotel wouldn't be "in downtown Victoria"?

Well I'd consider the Delta to be a downtown hotel.  

#2864 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:19 AM

I believe a hotel was always part of the Bayview plan in the Lime Bay District.

There are rumours that Ken has negotiated a deal with a major hotel chain, but there are so many rumours swirling about Bayview that it is hard to put much faith into any one rumour at this point.

#2865 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

Hmm. I wonder which major chain might be interested. I figure that a high end hotel, coming on stream about five years from now, will be a very desirable property. You have Spinnakers and Boom and Batten right at your doorstep, the Songhees Walkway, Roundhouse development. You could walk into downtown, or I'm sure catch a shuttle. That could be quite the happening spot.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2866 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:22 PM

The captain of that Jim Pattison Group-owned duck boat that sank in Missouri killing 17 people has been indicted today. He faces a potential of 10 years in prison for each death.

https://abcnews.go.c...ory?id=59063936

#2867 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:44 PM

Hmm. I wonder which major chain might be interested. I figure that a high end hotel, coming on stream about five years from now, will be a very desirable property. You have Spinnakers and Boom and Batten right at your doorstep, the Songhees Walkway, Roundhouse development. You could walk into downtown, or I'm sure catch a shuttle. That could be quite the happening spot.

My guess is it will be another Marriott property. Their properties in Victoria are quite successful and they've been on a huge expansion over the last couple years.  They've opened 3 hotels in Vancouver in the last year.  

Victoria still has relatively slim pickings when it comes to luxury offerings from larger chain hotels so I doubt a player like Rosewood, Four Seasons, or Mandarin Oriental will ever come to an untested small market like ours. I'd like to see another Accor hotel in Victoria, but their current expansion seems to focus on Asia and Europe rather than North America.  

Edited by m3m, 08 November 2018 - 04:45 PM.

#2868 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:08 PM

Don't get me wrong, I understand why a business might want to cater to a particular market segment, but this seems a bit over the top.

Hotel Grand Pacific:

Highly recommend the Hotel Grand Pacific great location excellent staff.
Plenty of activities nearby hotel
taxis readily available
MRT station within few minute walk from Hotel to get to many of the numerous attractions in Singapore!

Staying overnight in a hotel in Victoria, BC while spending your days exploring Singapore? I'm inclined to question the convenience. For one thing, it's not easy to keep the kids entertained during a 160-hour ride on a subway train under the Pacific ocean.

Edited by aastra, 28 January 2019 - 08:58 PM.

#2869 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:38 PM

November 5, 2018, regarding the Conde Nast "Best Small City in the World" award:

johnk said:

We're #14!!! We're #14!!!

August 7, 2013, regarding the Conde Nast "Friendliest City in the World" award:

jaylow said:

we're number 14, we're number 14!!

• kxl likes this

#2870 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:44 PM

At least we're consistent in our mediocrity.

#2871 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:45 PM

Not sure if this item from 2014 has ever been posted here before:

...chances are you’ll lay aside all your assumptions about this city on the edge of Vancouver Island: you know, it’s too small and a city of seniors.

But what if I told you there’s far more to Victoria than the picturesque parliament buildings and inner harbour, or that it’s filled with both locals and visitors of all ages?

https://notwithoutmy...rs-victoria-bc/

#2872 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:49 PM

That's harsh. I'm sure johnk and jaylow are trying their best.

• DustMagnet likes this

#2873 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:08 PM

Before I post something on VV I like to compose a list of what I think would be the likeliest replies (I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this). Anyway, in this case it's actually rather freaky. Check it out:

Post2869-Expected_Replies.png

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#2874 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:11 PM

Oh, aastra :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2875 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

October, 2017:

Weekend Travel Guide to Victoria, British Columbia: One of Canada’s Cutest Towns

While I loved whale watching and couldn’t get enough of Butchart Gardens, I think my honest-to-God favorite part of our trip to Victoria was the dining scene. Yummmm, I’m salivating just thinking about the dining (and beer) scene.

http://thewanderlost...s-cutest-towns/

Also October, 2017 (not sure what's going on with these coincidences):

A foodie guide to Victoria, Canada

It was the variety of Victoria’s lively food scene that surprised me...

https://www.heathero...oria-in-canada/

Don't look now but we may have uncovered yet another hidden gem/best kept secret:

Our day exploring Victoria’s food scene with A Taste of Victoria began at the city’s public market, something I didn’t even know existed. According to Andy, neither do many locals.

http://www.thislifei...od-drink-scene/

From that same piece, a comment that I've been seeing more and more recently:

This was probably my 15th visit or so to Victoria and I never realized how much I have yet to explore.

Edited by aastra, 09 November 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#2876 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:24 PM

I'm not so sure you're sure your sure.

I am not a robot...or a tourist  8d7QB2 

#2877 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:33 PM

I have no issue with their posts; just the fact that Condé Nast bothers to make lists where someone finishes in 14th place.

#2878 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:49 PM

Oh, my mistake. I thought you were accusing them of being mediocre forumers for posting the same ironic cheer, five years apart. (Ideally I think we should go at least six years before we repeat each other's posts verbatim.)

No argument about those infernal lists. They really lower my overall estimation of Conde Nast Traveler, possibly even knocking it out of the top 12 travel publications for any given year.

#2879 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:51 PM

Condé Nast Traveler is my 14th favourite travel publication.

#2880 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:57 PM

Now you're scaring me. Which reminds me, in my reality "VHF" always stood for "Vic Hotel Fan", but now we're saying it stood for "Vic Hockey Fan"? WTF?? This blows my mind.

• todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users