Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#3061 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:31 AM

Can’t they just go out into the strait like they always do and just observe the animals for a bit? It doesn’t have to be a purposeful study, just observations

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3062 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:48 AM

Can’t they just go out into the strait like they always do and just observe the animals for a bit? It doesn’t have to be a purposeful study, just observations

True but what would happen if they observe that there is no difference? That would undermine their arguments against the industry. Maybe it is best not to know!

#3063 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:03 AM

Working up a study proposal and securing funding is a process that typically takes 18-24 months

Something we should all keep in mind while consuming the results of myriad scary "during lockdown" studies? The news has been full of them right out of the gate, every single day for the past several weeks. Either we understand the timelines involved for such research or we don't. It wouldn't be logical to make exceptions for the discouraging results that we really want to hear. "20-year study of COVID-19 sufferers shows..."

--

Forming small 'social bubbles' could effectively fight the coronavirus' spread post-lockdown, a new study shows
-Business Insider

--

Cyprus study shows big pollutant drop during lockdown
-Washington Times

--

Widespread mask-wearing could prevent COVID-19 second waves, study shows
-Reuters

--

We're all sleeping worse due to COVID-19, study shows
-CNET

--

New Study Shows Uplifting Power of Running in a World of Lockdown, Reveals ASICS
-YAHOO!

--

Coronavirus study shows 81% aboard cruise ship were asymptomatic, raising concerns on lifting lockdown
-Fox News

--

Lockdowns prevented 60 million coronavirus cases in US, study shows
-New York Post

--

Post-pandemic lockdown has changed the attitudes of New Zealanders, shows study
-News Medical

--

Lockdown or no lockdown, study shows COVID-19's economic destruction followed a similar path either way
-National Post on MSN.com

--

Fewer young adults sticking to lockdown rules, UK study shows
-The Guardian

--

Men do over an hour less unpaid labour a day than women in lockdown, study shows
-Express & Star

--

UCC study shows pollution from cars 'halved since start of the lockdown laws'
-Irish Examiner

--

Sweden's voluntary coronavirus lockdown strategy is failing, study shows
-New York Post

--

Working mothers interrupted more often than fathers in lockdown - study
-The Guardian

--

Over 80% of Indian Homes Lost Income in Lockdown, Study Says
-Bloomberg

#3064 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:05 AM

This is why I rely on VV for my news.  ;)

#3065 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:09 AM

This is why I rely on VV for my news.

You didn't see the study about the dangers of relying on VV for news in the post-lockdown era?

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#3066 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:27 AM

"Employment Among People Conducting Studies Increases 135% According To Study"

• aastra and jsan like this

#3067 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:27 AM

There are people doing this.

https://www.google.c...ered-orcas/amp/

https://www.google.c...a/amp/1.5630467

https://www.google.c...p/idUSKBN23F1M3
  • Mike K. likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3068 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,781 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:56 AM

Comment: Without help soon, tourism industry faces mass failure

https://www.timescol...lure-1.24197762

Paul Nursey, Royce Chwin and Nancy Small

A commentary by the CEOs of Destination Greater Victoria, Tourism Vancouver and Tourism Richmond.

Without government help, we are at risk of seeing large-scale business failures in world-class B.C. tourism destinations. And business failures in B.C.’s gateways will have a domino effect negatively impacting businesses in more remote parts of the province.

https://www.timescol...lure-1.24197762

i'm not convinced really.  yes they are going through a very tough time.  some/many marginal operators with no fixed assets of value will go under.  but major attractions hotels and tour operators and quite frankly the natural beauty is not going anywhere.  CoV is ruining parks and the downtown charm but the rest of the province will be fine.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 September 2020 - 09:01 AM.

#3069 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 09:07 AM

... the natural beauty is not going anywhere.  CoV is ruining parks and the downtown charm but the rest of the province will be fine.

Our region's natural beauty will survive, but if some decisive action doesn't take place soon to reverse the course of the decimation of the city, I am not sure Victoria's reputation of being a popular tourist destination will continue. There are plenty of beautiful places in the world for people to spend their tourist dollars, and I am not sure why anyone would spend them in the Victoria we see today.

#3070 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,781 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 09:23 AM

the hot tub boat company only has 21 reviews on tripadvisor but thy are all excellent (top rank).

https://hottubboatcanada.ca/

#3071 m3m

m3m
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 09:27 AM

I’ve done this. It’s super fun. Would highly recommend.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#3072 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:50 AM

Especially if locals don't feel safe patronizing the downtown businesses that depend on us in the winter time. 

Our region's natural beauty will survive, but if some decisive action doesn't take place soon to reverse the course of the decimation of the city, I am not sure Victoria's reputation of being a popular tourist destination will continue. There are plenty of beautiful places in the world for people to spend their tourist dollars, and I am not sure why anyone would spend them in the Victoria we see today.

• Nparker likes this

#3073 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:13 AM

Especially if locals don't feel safe patronizing the downtown businesses that depend on us in the winter time. 

I won't be terribly likely to patronize downtown businesses this winter, unless there is some significant improvement to my sense of safety.

• jrm likes this

#3074 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:52 PM

The evolution of tourism, locally:

60s-80s: gimmicky attractions, Old Town landmarks
90s-00s: landmarks, culinary
10s+: nature, alcohol, culinary

The volume of alcohol-dependent businesses in downtown Victoria is staggering, and the number of these establishments has grown substantially since the start of the decade. Or at least it feels that way.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3075 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

Kids loved gimmicky attractions. Not much for kids these days in Victoria. I took my daughter to all sorts of things when she was little.

My brother and his wife are coming over from Vancouver in January to spend a week or two. They've booked an AirBNB. Said there was no way they were going to stay in a downtown condo though. They're in a residential area.

#3076 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 07:17 PM

Was in Sidney last week for a work project, Beacon ave was packed, I didn't observe a single pan handler or wretched soul. It was really wonderful and refreshing to see the shops busy and very little Covid-19 issues..

Whats going on in the City of Victoria??  

TFord

#3077 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 07:20 PM

...Whats going on in the City of Victoria??  ...

council pic-crop.jpg

#3078 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 08:22 PM

cross posting this as I feel it's important to watch and form an opinion.. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=7y0qU-p0xQU

TFord

• A Girl is No one likes this

#3079 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:14 AM

Wait, weren’t there 2 restaurants in Sidney shut down for covid positive staff? Maybe there were more covid issues than you thought.

It was really wonderful and refreshing to see the shops busy and very little Covid-19 issues..

TFord

#3080 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,781 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:26 AM

there is currently only 12 known cases on the Island.

zero in hospital.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users