3426 replies to this topic

#3181 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:05 AM

capital daily:

Province plans relief for Victoria's major tourist destinations

In his Wednesday conference, Premier John Horgan said that he has directed ministers to devise a program for tourism businesses that are too large for the existing relief program. Horgan cited Butchart Gardens as an example of a tourism company that employs hundreds but is reliant on international foot traffic that will not exist this year. Last week, the federal government announced that cruise ship traffic, the flagship driver of Victoria summer tourism, would not be allowed until 2022. 

It is not yet clear whether this new funding will take the form of a new program or a reallocation of funds from the province's underused $300-million support fund for small businesses.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 February 2021 - 08:05 AM.

#3182 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:15 AM

Spend the money to get everyone vaccinated and then "relief" programs won't be necessary. 

• Love the rock and Victoria Watcher like this

#3183 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:17 AM

if people can't or won't go to butchart gardens how can we help them?  

we can pay them to employ staff to clean washrooms that are not dirty or wait tables where nobody is dining.  or manning the cash registers where there are no buyers.  

but some of that makes no sense.  

and i do not know they likely have no or limited mortgage on the property.  

i suppose garden maintenance does not change much no matter the levels of visitors.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 February 2021 - 08:22 AM.

#3184 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:37 PM

what the?

Dino Lab Is Victoria B.C.’s Not-So-Secret Dinosaur Education Centre

Dino Lab evolves from private lab to public experience, merging education and entertainment.

https://www.douglasm...ab-victoria-bc/

https://www.dinolabinc.ca/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 February 2021 - 12:39 PM.

#3185 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

what the?

Dino Lab Is Victoria B.C.’s Not-So-Secret Dinosaur Education Centre

Dino Lab is awesome! They have a great selection of fossils and their knowledge is excellent, since their primary job is preparing fossils for museums across the world. It is absolutely a hidden gem, as very few people seem to know about them.

#3186 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:00 PM

I heard they offered paid  tours though the homeless population in San Francisco back in the day .Working along those lines maybe we could offer paid tours to picnic point .Even in 

August the wind blows through you . Reminding tourists that all the money for wonderful picnic point furniture was funded during a pandemic by taxpayers of Victoria just so they will be more comfortable. Stopping along the way armed with a naloxone kit and a city worker for a

warm cup of coffee at the red cedar warming tent .Finishing off the tour in city hall showing them where these brilliant  individuals who’s goal to reshaped the capital of British Columbia  conduct business.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3187 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:14 PM

^ maybe a ride past Sir JAM's (statue's) tomb too!

• Love the rock likes this

#3188 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

A former CFAX producer who is a huge dinosaur fan works there now!

Did I ever tell you guys I have an aunt who’s a palaeontologist?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3189 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:51 PM

A former CFAX producer who is a huge dinosaur fan works there now!

Did I ever tell you guys I have an aunt who’s a palaeontologist?

If you did, was it a lie or the truth?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3190 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:08 AM

I’ll have to take her word for it, I guess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3191 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:00 AM

Brilliant..."finally"...leveraging something local of truly historical significance and that is well and truly unique to the area and region, and not persisting with that silly decades-old "Bit 'O Olde Engiande" BS. I know the latter was unofficially abandoned a few years ago by the tourism powers that be but hopefully if this FN project takes off "Olde Englande" will be well and truly buried and gone.

Now combine this initiative with building a world class FN cultural center (ideally maybe on the Rock Bay lands recently repatriated by/returned to the Songhees?) and then you'll have something.

Can't count the number of times my own extended Brit relatives and other European friends or acquaintances asked about and/or were fascinated by "Indian" culture. No doubt much of that fueled by dated stereotypical Hollywood-style Cowboys and Indians lore, but "Indigenous Tourism" like this would go a long way to dispelling the myths and provide yet another channel for local tourism once Covid runs its course.

https://www.timescol...ture-1.24289443

#3192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:34 AM

ASE is raving about marine cultural tours offered by First Nations, in case it wasn’t clear from the post above.

Know it all.

#3193 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:45 AM

/\........that's why I included the....you know.....story link :)

#3194 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:49 AM

Those links expire eventually then everyone’s left wondering what was so exciting.

Know it all.

#3195 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:54 AM

Our friends from California visit Victoria specifically for the "old English" thing. They have enough modern buildings, wildlife, and First Nations stuff where they live. They love to come up for tea at the Empress and shopping. 

#3196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:00 AM

As in they can’t find malt liquor in California? I thought Olde English was big down there.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#3197 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:33 AM

ASE is raving about marine cultural tours offered by First Nations, in case it wasn’t clear from the post above.

I don't know if folks will be lining up to sit 12 in a boat and tour the coast. The only way I see a FN centre opening up in Rock Bay is if the RBCM closes its FN exhibit.

#3198 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:39 AM

I don't know if folks will be lining up to sit 12 in a boat and tour the coast. The only way I see a FN centre opening up in Rock Bay is if the RBCM closes its FN exhibit.

I used that example only as one possibility since with the slow but steady revival of Old Town including the Powerhouse and now the repatriation of the Rock Bay lands it could be one option to extend the "tourist stroll" from the harbour through Old Town and into Rock Bay. One day. FN may well already have a culturally-themed center as an idea but thinking of an altogether different location for all I know.....

#3199 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:44 AM

yes.  there are hardly any "boat tours/charters" in town but 30 different whale watching tours.  it's all about whales.  

it's like the guy that runs the heritage walking tours says.  his "ghostly tours" outsell the regular architectural or history ones ten to one.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2021 - 09:46 AM.

#3200 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:16 AM

The only way I see a FN centre opening up in Rock Bay is if the RBCM closes its FN exhibit.

Honestly this sounds like a great idea to kill a few birds with one stone. Repatriation of FN artefacts, FN control over how their history is presented, and more gallery space for the RBCM archived collections. Win win!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users