Photo

[Old Johnson Street Bridge] Design and technical discussion

• Please log in to reply
903 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

Are you kidding? The basic problem here is that this old bascule bridge just doesn't fit with Victoria's heritage. It looks like a uniquely North American industrial relic from the 1920s. What the heck could any of that have to do with Victoria?

If it doesn't look like it would belong on a British great grandmother's curio shelf then it isn't heritage.

#22 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

JOHNSON STREET BRIDGE REPLACEMENT CONTRACT AWARDED

Jul 24, 2009

A 3.2 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT HAS BEEN AWARDED TO AN ENGINEERING FIRM TO OVERSEE THE RECONSTRUCTION OF THE JOHNSON STREET BRIDGE

MMM GROUP LIMITED WAS AWARDED THE CONTRACT BY THE CITY AT A SPECIAL COUNCIL MEETING HELD OVER THE LUNCH HOUR TODAY

THE FIRM HAS PREVIOUSLY SEEN THE COMPLETION OF 12 OTHER MOVING BRIDGES

MAYOR DEAN FORTIN SAYS THE FIRM'S SUBMISSION DEMONSTRATED A FOCUS ON AESTHETICS AND SUSTAINABILITY

MEANTIME, THE CITY ALSO SELECTED 7 PEOPLE TO FORM A CITIZEN ADVISORY COMITTEE ON THE BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION

MEMBERS INCLUDE URBAN DESIGNERS, A CYCLING AND PEDESTRIAN EXPERT AS WELL AS A HERITAGE AND SUSTAINABILITY EXPERT.

- ANDREA BOYES
http://www.cfax1070....php?newsId=9923

So over lunch we get a bridge?:confused:

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

I make $3.2M spending decisions over lunch almost daily.

Cubberly is a cycling and pedestrian expert?

However, in fairness, MMM does seem very qualified.

MMM GROUP: http://www.mmm.ca/aboutus/overview.htm

#24 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

We have months to build this bridge. We don't have months to consult about it

We don't have months to consult about it

Not like every other project.

#25 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

I just finished looking through MMM's bridge portfolio and I am heartbroken. Not a single one of them has an ounce of iconic presence, let alone artistic beauty. If council wants to tear down our beautiful blue bridge and replace it with a featureless flat utilitarian structure, I guess they hired the right people. But there is nothing here that shows any poetry at all.

I beg someone to find something that shows me different.
:(

http://www.mmm.ca/pr...s/Projects.aspx
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#26 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

I just finished looking through MMM's bridge portfolio and I am heartbroken. Not a single one of them has an ounce of iconic presence, let alone artistic beauty. If council wants to tear down our beautiful blue bridge and replace it with a featureless flat utilitarian structure, I guess they hired the right people. But there is nothing here that shows any poetry at all.

I beg someone to find something that shows me different.
:(

http://www.mmm.ca/pr...s/Projects.aspx

Reading the press release the wording was not entirely clear as to MMM actually having already submitted a design, or overseeing a design process from another firm, or themselves, with 'consultation' from the citizen's advisory committee.

Valued at $3.2 million, the engineering firm MMM Group Limited was awarded the contract to project manage
the bridge replacement project at a Special Council meeting this afternoon. MMM Group provides engineering
expertise in managing bridge construction, with previous experience designing and managing completion of 12
moving bridges. In addition to engineering expertise, consultants include an architectural and sustainability
design team. A focus on sustainability and design components early in the process will provide greater
certainty and reduced risk to the project.
“The bridge is a symbol of both form and function and requires a proven firm that is familiar with successfully
delivering design-build projects and in particular moving bridges,” added Fortin. “The submission by MMM
Group demonstrates an extensive breadth of knowledge and experience in bridge construction and brings a
focus on sustainability and aesthetic that is extremely important to this Council and to this community,”

This is what really riles me about the process - we should have a design competition, and include submissions from around the world. Some new bridge builds in Europe and Asia have incredible combinations of form and function.

The question everyone should be asking is how could council approve a company which highlights those bridge projects as examples. Caramia is totally correct - none of those could be labelled iconic.

#27 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

Ah but we have a heritage expert on this project! It means we'll get some red brick veneer on the ends of the bridge!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#28 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:04 AM

While community input is important, Mayor Dean Fortin said time is running out.“We don’t have months for public consultation, we have months to build a bridge,” said Fortin.

I like how Fortin here pays lip service to community input when I don't recall there being any on the issue of replacing the bridge but the minute some private developer comes forth with development plans, community input is critical as are the months wasted wading through miles of red tape.

Am I the only person here in favour of replacement?
In chains by Keynes

#29 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

I make $3.2M spending decisions over lunch almost daily.

and what do you do the other days?

lol

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

Councillor Madoff believes we should entice MMM Group to complete the project on time and on budget.

Ontario firm to design new Blue Bridge

Goldstream News Gazette
Published: July 30, 2009 1:00 PM

The project manager for P.E.I.’s Confederation Bridge will guide the design and construction of Victoria’s Johnson Street Bridge.

After reviewing six bids for the job, city staff selected Ontario-based MMM Group Ltd. for a contract estimated at $3.2 million.

MMM Group is an Ontario-based company that has designed 12 moveable bridges and managed the $1.2 billion Confederation bridge that links P.E.I. to the mainland.

The company will be responsible for designing Victoria’s new $63-million bridge, and overseeing the contractors chosen to build it.

At a special council meeting July 24, Coun. John Luton asked that social considerations, such as fair wages and First Nations apprenticeships, be prioritized in the project. Coun. Pam Maddoff asked if MMM Group could be awarded a bonus as incentive to deliver the project on time and on budget.

Also giving input to the design will be a newly-appointed citizens’ advisory group, selected for their expertise in areas such as heritage, sustainability and architecture.

Former Saanich South MLA David Cubberley was appointed to the eight-member group (CONFIRM), which met for the first time July 24.

“It’s very exciting ... to be able to advocate solutions for walkers and cyclists and make sure transit is integrated as well,” Cubberley said.

Also selected are Joe Van Belleghem of Dockside Green, Sid Chow of Chow Low Hammond Architects and Allison Ashcroft, founder of VIVO, a green materials supplier.

In April, council voted to replace rather than renovate the 85-year-old Johnson Street Bridge.

http://www.bclocalne...s/52087002.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

I have heard of bonuses for exceeding timelines and objectives but usually you don't get a bonus for doing what you said you would do. That would be inane.

"I asked you to write a 1200 word essay and you did. It only deserves a B- but because you met the objectives I will give you an A+."

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

Anyone see the irony of Victoria's heritage advocate numero uno trying to rush the replacement of one of the City's most iconic heritage landmarks?

When VV was first launched, the people who participated in discussions on the forum were labeled as skyscraper junkies, destroyers of heritage and haters of everything that made Victoria Victoria. Funny how VV's membership includes some of the most passionate heritage advocates and most vocal individuals set against the replacement of the bridge, meanwhile the traditional heritage groups and supporters thereof are silent and/or are pledging support for replacing the bridge.

So what are we to be labeled as now? The people trying to keep Victoria a backwater? ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

^ I don't know, but I'm seriously shaking my head at this point.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

and what do you do the other days?

lol

Pull the wings off flies.

http://images.google...oE9vV-QbK8e2CDw

#35 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

So what are we to be labeled as now?

Easy. We're pro "bad" development and they're pro "good" development.

Replacing parking lots with homes, shops, and hotels is bad development.

Replacing historic bridges and re-routing roads and streets is good development.

I'm all but convinced now that the automobile is still ruling the day in Victoria. Think about it. Opponents of the arena went on and on about traffic nightmares and insufficient on-site parking. Any and every proposal that was slated to replace a parking lot was maligned, regardless of how big the proposal was, how tall it was, what it looked like, etc.

And yet it's okay to demolish a historic bridge. It's not just okay, it's terrific. In fact, it's such a terrific idea that we should even consider giving the bridge builder a bonus just for participating in the project. Why? Is it because we're talking about cars instead of about homes and shops and hotels? Because we're striving for a little slice of motoring utopia? Straighter roads, quieter bridge surfaces, and so forth?

#36 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Pull the wings off flies.

But if you pull their wings off you can no longer call them "flies". You then have to call them "walks". :D

I can provide four reasons why the JSB should be replaced. Can anyone here give me four (or even three) reasons it should be saved.

Aastra, if part of the reason to replace the bridge is to help people drive to and from downtown easier and quicker, then thank god. It's about bloody time this city started doing things like that since virtually everything i've seen them (and other municipalities) do is anti-automobile.
In chains by Keynes

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

I can provide four reasons why the JSB should be replaced. Can anyone here give me four (or even three) reasons it should be saved.

So far it's about a thousand reasons for saving against no reasons for replacing so anything you can offer would be very interesting indeed.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

Saving it can save as much as $63M

There is nothing wrong with the street approaches, I'm sure it is not even in the top-10 bad areas for accidents. At 30kmh for a stretch of it, it likely has few injuries even if their is an accidnet. Making the new bridge and its approaches and then ramping the speed up to 50kmh can barely save 20-seconds off that portion of the route. I generally hear no complaints about traffic over the bridge. Douglas and the Colwood crawl get all the attention.

The bridge looks nice.

Last time they fixed it, they said the fix would last many years. Why the new fix/replacement now?

How come it took over 14 years to decide to replace the arena, with two referendums, and this thing costs twice as much, is just a road, and has to be rushed thru with no referendum or sense of reason or planning?

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Reasons To Save It:
Because it's:
- historic
- rare
- iconic
- visually interesting
- adequate for existing and future traffic needs
- beautiful
- blue

Reasons To Replace It:
Because it's:
- historic
- rare
- iconic
- visually interesting
- inadequate for existing and future traffic needs
- ugly
- blue

#40 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

New bridge viewed as 'gateway' -- it might even have a tower

This is not just a movable bridge connecting two sides of the harbour. It is viewed as a gateway into the downtown area, a beautiful vantage point to take in the Inner Harbour and the Upper Harbour, and a gateway to look at Old Town

http://www.timescolo...2762/story.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users