Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#381 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,848 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:52 PM

Is there any nutritional value in milk?

It's a good source of calcium and Vitamin D. It also tastes great with Quik mixed into it.

0807f001dd6ff5364f843abadb4878cb.jpg

#382 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:49 PM

Grocery is the only type of store that does this. High volume, high turnover products. It saves them money to sell more, quickly.

Just the way it works. You can take advantage of a lot of it by maximizing your freezer space. I recommend investing in a small chest freezer if you can stick it somewhere, that's what I did when I was single, and even now, with a family of 4, we still buy far more than we'll use before BB dates, and freeze the rest when that works. I just doubled the size of my chest freezer.

#383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,848 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:23 PM

Grocery is the only type of store that does this. High volume, high turnover products. It saves them money to sell more, quickly. Just the way it works. You can take advantage of a lot of it by maximizing your freezer space.

"Just the way it works". Sounds like the sort of answer I would get from Lisa Helps.

I already maximize freezer space when products I use go on sale. I see no reason why I should I have to drink "frozen milk" to get it at the same price as those who can consume it in larger quantities.

#384 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,094 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:26 PM

Are you the guy who complains when a half order of pasta costs more than half of a full order?

Matt.
  • Rob Randall, Mr Cook Street and lanforod like this

#385 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:31 PM

Go to bed and leave the milk in the carton. 

"Milk is loaded with calcium and vitamin D which build strong teeth, but it's also packed with the natural sugar lactose," says Greenwood.

"Drink it before bed and your teeth will be coated with the sugar. Over time, this will cause cavities."

http://www.menshealt...to-teeth-190595

• Matt R. likes this

#386 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,848 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:36 PM

Are you the guy who complains when a half order of pasta costs more than half of a full order?

Are the labour costs significantly more to produce a 1 liter carton of milk vs a 4 liter jug?

• Matt R. likes this

#387 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:53 PM

Are the labour costs significantly more to produce a 1 liter carton of milk vs a 4 liter jug?

More waxed cardboard,additional printing costs, more handing during restocking, recycling cost increased.

• Midnightly likes this

#388 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,848 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:10 PM

More waxed cardboard,additional printing costs, more handing during restocking, recycling cost increased.

But what is the cost of producing one 4 liter jug vs four 1 liter cartons? Also if you can sell the smaller sizes for a higher price/liter, why not just stock the shelves with more of those and none of the larger sizes?

• Matt R. likes this

#389 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,094 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:12 PM

I wonder what the dairy board says about all of this.

Matt.

#390 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,848 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:14 PM

I wonder what the dairy board says about all of this...

Someone should ask: http://bcmilkmarketi...uresystems.com/

#391 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:21 AM

But what is the cost of producing one 4 liter jug vs four 1 liter cartons? 

Plastic vs waxed cardboard, it's a whole other debate.

#392 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:29 AM

Not only that, would you drink milk from cows who were abused and stressed out?

More than one in four B.C. dairy farms failed to comply with a provincial Code of Practice related to animal welfare during an 18-month period, inspection documents obtained through freedom-of-information show.

Issues revealed during routine inspections by the B.C. Milk Marketing Board showed overcrowding, lame or soiled cattle, tails accidentally torn off by machinery, branding and dehorning of calves without pain medication, cows lying on concrete, and failure to produce a manual outlining management practices on individual farms.

The B.C. SPCA described it as showing “employees at Chilliwack Cattle Sales using chains, canes, rakes, their booted feet and their fists to viciously whip, punch, kick and beat the dairy cows, including downed and trapped cows who could not escape the abuse.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.RrEH3uFH.dpuf

#393 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,094 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:24 AM

No, probably very similar.

Matt.

#394 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

I would say yes, as far as the cow is concerned.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#395 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but how long can you keep a chicken in the freezer, roughly?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#396 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

Because...

...I put one in there last night, and today it's dead already.

• Nparker and sebberry like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#397 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

I was gonna say... if it's alive, not very long if you want it to stay that way.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#398 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but how long can you keep a chicken in the freezer, roughly?

As long as the lid is closed, I would say about half an hour, providing you unplug the freezer.

edit Is this a trick question?

Edited by Bingo, 20 September 2016 - 03:44 PM.

#399 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

...how long can you keep a chicken in the freezer, roughly?

I think it would be the same whether you were rough or gentle.

And don't call me roughly.

• sebberry likes this

#400 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

Yes what is the deal with milk? It sure doesn't replace coffee as the morning pickmeup.

Coffee tastes terrible when I pour it on my Cheerios.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users