- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1622 replies to this topic

#761 GaryRanson

GaryRanson
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:56 AM

Thrifty's at Quadra and Cloverdale is no longer a 24 hour store.

7:00-8:00 Seniors

8:00-8:00 Younger folks

Seniors at Thrifty Foods are 65+

Seniors at Save on Foods are 60+

#762 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:08 AM

Seniors at Mexican House of Spice are men only

• Matt R., Lorenzo and mbjj like this

#763 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:11 AM

They’re not even seniors. The sun will do that you, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#764 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:14 AM

Edited by SimonH, 25 March 2020 - 10:14 AM.

#765 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,132 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:49 AM

Limited shoppers to Juan at a time.

Matt.
  • vortoozo, shoeflack and mbjj like this

#766 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:42 PM

As of yesterday afternoon, my wife and I were impressed by the level of protection provided at the Wholesale Club in View Royal.  The store is limiting access at the front door to ensure distance between shoppers, ample hand sanitizer is available at the front door, and protective gloves are being handed out to every shopper. In addition, the tap limit on credit card has been increased to $250 to avoid card machine contact.

At the opposite end of the scale is the Save-On-Foods at Westside Shopping Centre.  Hand sanitizer is really hard to find (not near the front door), no wipes were available for hand cards, and there is no effort to control people's movement or handling of product. For those concerned about health safety, it's a place to be avoided.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#767 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

Wholesale Club in View Royal? Don’t you mean Esquimalt?
  • Bernard and jasmineshinga like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#768 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:31 PM

Wholesale Club in View Royal? Don’t you mean Esquimalt?

sorry i meant to say vic west, you're right

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#769 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:36 PM

Mike is right, Wholesale Club is in Esquimalt.
  • Bernard likes this

#770 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

https://youtu.be/sjDuwc9KBps

Disinfect your groceries.

#771 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:04 PM

Really picked over this evening there. The usual suspects are missing of course but unexpected things were either not stocked or had strict limits. No eggs. Salt products were gone. Anything related to baking was gone or had limits.

#772 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:21 AM

D’oh! Vic West is Victoria, but the Wholesale Club is in Esquimalt.

Know it all.

#773 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,343 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:22 AM

poor esquimalt.  even when is has something decent like that store people call the area vic west or view royal.  

• Bernard and Matt R. like this

#774 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:04 AM

My California correspondent writes in with a report on the situation at a Costco outside Palm Springs:

"We went to Costco to see what was happening as they were to open at 8. It was about 6:45 and there was a half dozen people standing out in "the cold" (for here it was cold). One person said they called and was told they might open at 7:30. So, we decided we would come back in 30 minutes. We get there and the lineup outside was really long but moving quickly. We found out the manager opened the doors at 7:10 as it was cold out. Toilet paper and paper towels were sold out in less than an hour - none by the time we got in before 8.

After buying our things, I went to washroom and Bill waited nearby. A man quickly approached Bill. Bill put out his arm to stop the man from getting so close. The guy told Bill he would pay him to get him another flat of water (we didn't buy any). Bill laughed and said no way! One is all you get for the day."

#775 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:07 AM

One is all you get for the day."

Fair enough but what about those who are buying the for elderly or shut ins? I guess now that will be illegal anyways because it is reselling, but how does rationing work with that? 

#776 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:10 AM

https://youtu.be/sjDuwc9KBps

Disinfect your groceries.

Wow lots of thing I hadn't considered.

#777 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

I'm really not keen on using disinfectant directly on broccoli, which is what it looks like the guy does. The rest of it, seems reasonable, not crazy out of line, I guess. I am wondering though, if its worth it. If odds are 50% of us will get this, and the only place we are going in the next few weeks is the grocery store (so not spreading anywhere), we (young healthy folks) may well be okay if we DO get Covid during this period of 'stay home'. Get through it, then you're good as long as it doesn't mutate again.

#778 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:36 AM

I'm really not keen on using disinfectant directly on broccoli, which is what it looks like the guy does. The rest of it, seems reasonable, not crazy out of line, I guess. I am wondering though, if its worth it. If odds are 50% of us will get this, and the only place we are going in the next few weeks is the grocery store (so not spreading anywhere), we (young healthy folks) may well be okay if we DO get Covid during this period of 'stay home'. Get through it, then you're good as long as it doesn't mutate again.

Here is a good report on the risk of virus mutation. Not a concern according to experts.

https://www.foxnews....e-mutation-rate

#779 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:46 AM

'Not a concern' is quite an editorial there. There are two strains already. This may be more stable, but certainly can mutate. We should be very thankful it appears to be fairly stable.

#780 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:28 AM

'Not a concern' is quite an editorial there. There are two strains already. This may be more stable, but certainly can mutate. We should be very thankful it appears to be fairly stable.

What they are saying is that although the virus mutates, the aspects of the virus that a vaccine targets have not mutated and typically don't with most Coronaviruses. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users