- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#1141 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 03:59 PM

Has anyone seen a store with Bubly in stock? My wife is hooked on it and everyone is sold out lately. Finally found a couple of cases at London Drugs yesterday but that won't last long. (And yes, she's tried all the others and doesn't like them, although they all taste the same to me.)

Fairway market in Quadra village. Lots there this afternoon . No finders fee required! 😁

#1142 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,051 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 04:03 PM

it’s owned by Pepsi. Lots of marketing clout.

#1143 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:03 PM

Thanks, WalMart had several dozen cases of the lime flavor the next day and now they have so much of all the flavors it's in several places around the grocery section. I agree, most - not all - are pretty gross.

#1144 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 05:18 PM

The Root Cellar in Cook Street Village officially opens tomorrow…
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1145 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,043 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:09 PM

Club soda still in short supply it seems so I’ve been adding Compliments brand to my Sobeys order and walking it across the street the last couple weeks. Lame.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#1146 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,043 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:10 PM

Took a rip down Cook St. today to look at a hole in the ground so wandered into the new Root Cellar. Wow! Gorgeous store, busy as heck, the usual great selection of produce and local items, including bread from Bond Bond’s. :)

The checkout is the usual array of snacks and junk food but the last part is all pizza ingredients. Fresh dough balls from 900 Degrees, jarred sauce from same, pesto, nice cheese and cured meat selection, everything you’d need for a killer pizza night at home.

Produce prices were excellent. Went in for a roast for tonight and left with a couple arm loads of stuff.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 12 November 2021 - 05:30 PM.

• Mike K., Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1147 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:52 PM

Took a rip down Cook St. today to look at a hole in the ground so wandered into the new Root Cellar. Wow! Gorgeous store, busy as heck, the usual great selection of produce and local items, including bread from Bond Bond’s. :)

The checkout is the usual array of snacks and junk food but the last part is all pizza ingredients. Fresh dough balls from 900 Degrees, jarred sauce from same, pesto, nice cheese and cured meat selection, everything you’d need for a killer pizza night at home.

Produce prices were excellent. Went in for a roast for tonight and left with a couple arm loads of stuff.

Matt.

i was down there on wednesday.. after going through 4 sections of road work between bay street and cook street village i finally made it down there, it's a beautiful store, they have a parking lot behind the store, you walk in and it's bright all produce is nicely open and displayed, you see staff around, the store is busy, the prices are not too horrid, the sales are great (they do a weekly flying and a mid week flyer so if you go on a tuesday/wednesday you can catch both sales (week, and mid week) they post their flyer on their website and their facebook which is fairly active too

• Mike K., Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1148 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 03:31 PM

Metro Vancouver could have these 24/7 cashier-less grocery stores by early 2022

Aisle 24 stores aim to fill the niche for shoppers looking for a quick, easy store open anytime, states the company's website, and can fit into the bottom of residential buildings with limited space. They advertise shop footprints as small as 300 square feet for resident-only stores.

Along with the cashier-less aspect, Aisle 24s also use a lot of technology, from digital price tags on the shelf to a mobile app for cash-less checkouts. The resident-only shops also use the app to unlock the door.

"Aisle 24 enables you to turn commercial storefronts or spaces inside residential properties into 24-hour grocery markets," states their website.

https://www.vancouve...ly-2022-4700116

This B.C. village has not had a grocery store for 5 years. That could be about to change

Residents of Gold River currently have to travel 90 km to buy necessities

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ocery-1.6228481

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 November 2021 - 03:31 PM.

#1149 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:26 AM

I sure do miss Oxford Foods! We are really lacking a complete grocery store within walking distance. Right now when I want to cut down on gas usage, I'm forced to do more driving to pick up basic items. Before, if we happened to have a heavy snowfall, we could at least walk up there. Root Cellar is very expensive and is what I call a fancy pants type of store. They don't have many many basic items - flour, sugar, paper towel, tp, dishsoap, baking supplies, soaps, etc. 

#1150 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:31 AM

Mbjj: Just ride your bike out to Cosco. It caters to the woken dead and not us folk. 

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#1151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:31 AM

Really? Those items are not in store?

I wonder if chatting with management can change that around.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1152 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:00 AM

I sure do miss Oxford Foods! We are really lacking a complete grocery store within walking distance. Right now when I want to cut down on gas usage, I'm forced to do more driving to pick up basic items. Before, if we happened to have a heavy snowfall, we could at least walk up there. Root Cellar is very expensive and is what I call a fancy pants type of store. They don't have many many basic items - flour, sugar, paper towel, tp, dishsoap, baking supplies, soaps, etc. 

Some of those non-food items (soap, paper towels etc) can be found at the Rexall across the street and I think you can get sugar over at Mother Nature's Market a few doors down from Rexall.

If Oxford Foods' business model was viable, I imagine that the Louie family would have sold the business while retaining ownership of the building.  But the Oxford Foods business model was no longer viable, so the operators of Root Cellar signed a long-term lease at the space instead.  

I live a few blocks from the new Root Cellar myself, and I'm grateful that they opened in the neighbourhood.  

• Mike K., Matt R. and m3m like this

#1153 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 05:37 PM

I think what mbjj is trying to say is that Root Cellar may have those items, but not at the prices of Oxford Foods.

Oxford foods was a true discount grocery.  Root Cellar, although they may have some good deals on a few products, is a different shopping experience to Oxford Foods. 

• Redd42 likes this

#1154 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:00 PM

Root Cellar is very expensive

Yup. Makes me laugh and cringe at their Dirt Cheap slogan. And at one point, they had signs up by their cashiers to suggest you use debit instead of credit so they could keep their prices low. Really? They might have a few items super cheap but the rest of their stock is much more expensive  than the 5 other grocery stores near by (McKenzie location).

As a still kind of merchant, I totally get the cost difference between debit and credit. But I would never be rude enough to suggest a different payment option to my customers. And my average sales numbers are much higher than theirs - $1000s. Those of you who have merchant accounts know what the cost difference is to me at that sale amount - very significant . If a customer asks me, which payment method I would prefer, then yes, I will say debit. But I would never be so audacious to put a sign saying so next my cash register.

• Mike K., Nparker, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#1155 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,043 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 11:23 PM

We just charge everyone like they were using credit. Isn’t that normal? :)

Matt.

#1156 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 05:44 AM

The Island will not run out of food and if there are shortages of some products, consumers should rest assured they will only be short-term.

That was the message from Island grocers Thursday as they faced another day of uncertainty following catastrophic floods around the province, which resulted in compromised or destroyed transportation infrastructure and concerns about the supply chain.

“We might see a bit of a shortage in a couple of categories, but I don’t think it will be massive and it won’t be long-term,” said Russ Benwell, owner of Red Barn Market, who said challenges could continue through the weekend.

https://www.timescol...grocers-4775195

#1157 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 05:45 AM

I always wondered why I have to subsidize everyone that uses credit cards, 

• Matt R. likes this

#1158 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 06:00 AM

I always wondered why I have to subsidize everyone that uses credit cards, 

Unfortunately all the credit card companies insist that you cannot change prices based on payment taken.  So they can't give a cash discount if they want to keep accepting cards too.

#1159 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 07:49 AM

I’m with Matt. Price products or services with the 2.5% included and if they pay otherwise, it’s a bonus for the seller.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1160 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 08:01 AM

Might be time to make a law forbidding credit card companies from making retails not give discounts for cash. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users