Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#1221 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:51 AM

Get ready to dish out the big credit card on your next run, B. Prices are going bananas.

Lol, yesterday I bought a replacement wheel for my wheelbarrow from a local hardware store. The price on the item was $56.99, and it rang in at $59.99. The price went up as I was walking through the store :)
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1222 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:56 AM

I gave up my Costco membership when I moved back to Victoria in 2015.  It's a bit of a haul from where I live (near Cook Street Village) and I find that my partner and I can't really consume many of the perishable items before expiry.  I bought a box of kitchen trash bags at the downtown Vancouver location in 2014, and we just used the last one last week, so we had the box for almost 8 years...

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#1223 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:58 AM

Costco is barely an advantage for a household of 2. If you're single it's useless.

#1224 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:00 AM

The Feds have been printing money like crazy. Not a surprise that prices are going up.

#1225 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:03 AM

Get ready to dish out the big credit card on your next run, B. Prices are going bananas.

Lol, yesterday I bought a replacement wheel for my wheelbarrow from a local hardware store. The price on the item was $56.99, and it rang in at $59.99. The price went up as I was walking through the store :)

What happened to the old wheel?

#1226 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:03 AM

I haven't been to Costco since the start of the Pandemic.  I might renew my membership for the cheap toilet paper.  Friend picked up some well priced strawberry jam for me last week.  

Costco meat quality is generally quite high.  Just don't get sucked into stuff like the three pack of Duracell headband flashlights and you won't waste money there.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1227 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:36 AM

Most stores are voluntary members of the Scanning Code of Practice. If the item does not scan at the price of the shelf tag, they should have offered you a $10 discount.

Scanning Code of Practice – what you need to know - Consumer Protection BC

• lanforod likes this

#1228 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:47 AM

~Weekly Costco trips here.

Costco meat is high quality; however its priced accordingly as well; we buy some meat there regularly, and pass on most of it due to cost (Country grocer sales are better, though not always as good quality). Meat deals are few and far between there. The best value for food at Costco is in larger size items for the freezer or pantry, dairy products, and most fresh fruits and veggies are good value, as long as you can handle the typical larger quantity before it goes bad.

Clothes and other good in the middle can be good value, but just don't be suckered into buying just because its 'a deal'.

Electronics and other household goods as well, but easier to price compare to Bestbuy or amazon or whatever.

• Danma likes this

#1229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:58 AM

Most stores are voluntary members of the Scanning Code of Practice. If the item does not scan at the price of the shelf tag, they should have offered you a $10 discount.

Scanning Code of Practice – what you need to know - Consumer Protection BC

WHAT?! I had no idea.

Is that legit?

I find that customer service at non grocery stores can be so bad, even some cashiers don't want to acknowledge these discrepancies. I had one cashier at a hardware store tell me once that the difference is only a couple of bucks, it's not a big deal (an item had rung in higher than the price on the shelf). Nobody wants to be 'that guy' at the till but man, wtf-ront door kind of customer service attitude is that?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1230 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:01 AM

What happened to the old wheel?

Rubber had rotted.

Know it all.

#1231 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:06 AM

I've heard that Rotted Rubber may have to cancel their gigs at the Tinto Rocks festival this year.

#1232 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:07 AM

Are you sure it wasn't Flat Tire that cancelled, who perform their hit Hot Sauce Rubber?

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1233 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:10 AM

Oh yeah, ASE, read your car’s manual about its fuel requirement. Putting mid-grade into your tank if your motor is a low compression motor is not going to make any difference performance wise, and could actually yield lower MPG. Mid-grade and premium require high compression motors to function as intended.

If you hear knocking from your motor at 87, that’s when you need to step it up with a higher octane as your compression is pre-igniting your lower octane fuel.

Hope that makes sense.

Oh no question; I'm well aware of octane-induced "ping" I mainly (and very occasionally) put in medium grade back when prices were more comparable; since the price hikes its been regular gas all the way and it will remain thus. I have one more expensive "covid-inspired home reno project" fence to build along the driveway this spring, ergo have far more important things to spend my $ than overinflated gas :)

#1234 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:16 AM

Clothes and other good in the middle can be good value, but just don't be suckered into buying just because its 'a deal'.

It's great when you see everyone walking around in the same T shirt you know they got from Costco :D

• Mike K., Nparker, Danma and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1235 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:18 AM

Oh no question; I'm well aware of octane-induced "ping" I mainly (and very occasionally) put in medium grade back when prices were more comparable; since the price hikes its been regular gas all the way and it will remain thus. I have one more expensive "covid-inspired home reno project" fence to build along the driveway this spring, ergo have far more important things to spend my $ than overinflated gas :)

Yes, but I don't think you don't need to be using mid-grade. Save that money. Only if your manual says your motor requires it do you have to (or should) use it.

Know it all.

#1236 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:37 AM

WHAT?! I had no idea.

Is that legit?

I find that customer service at non grocery stores can be so bad, even some cashiers don't want to acknowledge these discrepancies. I had one cashier at a hardware store tell me once that the difference is only a couple of bucks, it's not a big deal (an item had rung in higher than the price on the shelf). Nobody wants to be 'that guy' at the till but man, wtf-ront door kind of customer service attitude is that?

Yes, legit, but some clerks are unaware.

List of participating stores: Scanner Price Accuracy Code - Retail Council of Canada

#1237 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:40 AM

I live near Costco and Superstore, so this might not work for you all, but Costco at 12:45 PM is pretty chill and not too bad at all. I no longer go to Costco on weekends unless there's a REALLY good reason to! It's bad enough getting to the other half of Langford on the weekends with the traffic on Millstream...

#1238 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:43 AM

It's so busy in Langford these days that no one goes there anymore.  :P

#1239 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:58 AM

Mid-grade benefits are a conspiracy theory promoted by Big Octane.

#1240 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 January 2022 - 06:00 PM

IF, they subscribe to the 'fair scanning code' you get it for free, up to $10 worth that is, and a price correction if it's priced more than $10.  (eg. here you'd get $59.99 - $10.00, plus $59.99 - $56.99 = $13.00 I believe).  Except, that few hardware stores subscribe to a "fair scanner code".

Most of the larger grocery stores subscribe to it (couple of weeks ago I got $10 (+$0.50) for spotting and insisting on it, at Save On's shelf tag of $20.49 vs I was charged $20.99).  Needless to say, all branches quickly upped their shelf tags to $20.99 [3 kg box of frozen blueberries]

jbw

Edited by James Bay walker, 21 January 2022 - 06:01 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users