Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#1461 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 12:24 PM

Correct. Communism floods society with alcohol.

That’s always Step 1, duh.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1462 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 09:00 PM

Lucky for them I guess that while alcohol/drinking stats nationally show significant declines in sales of beer and wine, BC is actually trending up in comparison and stats compiled in a recent UVic study by Health Region indicate VanIsle is second only to the Interior for highest consumption of standard drinks per person per annum - 676 vs 786. The Fraser Valley region with 398 standard drinks p/a brings up the rear of the lot. Looks like the Co-op did its homework......

I found that trend surprising as more people than ever in my experience and very broad circle either have given up drinking altogether or cut back to barely a handful of drinks per year equalling less than the fingers on your two hands. Would be interested to know which age demographic is driving the overall increase provincially; my cohort is the over 55 group where its almost the exception to have a drink socially vs not amongst folks I know, and our kidlin (age 25) also does not drink nor as far as I can tell do most of her friends. That would leave the ~ age 30 - 50 crowd presumably keeping the industry hopping.

#1463 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2023 - 09:25 PM

Lucky for them I guess that while alcohol/drinking stats nationally show significant declines in sales of beer and wine, BC is actually trending up in comparison and stats compiled in a recent UVic study by Health Region indicate VanIsle is second only to the Interior for highest consumption of standard drinks per person per annum - 676 vs 786. The Fraser Valley region with 398 standard drinks p/a brings up the rear of the lot. Looks like the Co-op did its homework......

I found that trend surprising as more people than ever in my experience and very broad circle either have given up drinking altogether or cut back to barely a handful of drinks per year equalling less than the fingers on your two hands. Would be interested to know which age demographic is driving the overall increase provincially; my cohort is the over 55 group where its almost the exception to have a drink socially vs not amongst folks I know, and our kidlin (age 25) also does not drink nor as far as I can tell do most of her friends. That would leave the ~ age 30 - 50 crowd presumably keeping the industry hopping.

I'm in the over-55 cohort and I (and many of those I know) do my part to keep those stats up.

• LJ and Ismo07 like this

#1464 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 09:44 PM

They already have two liqour store locations: PenCo Liquor Locations - Peninsula Co-op

#1465 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 05:23 AM

See the food services comings and goings thread for some insights. Downtown Victoria has never in its modern history had such a high concentration of liquor selling establishments per-capita.

Just micro-breweries alone in our region have exploded in number.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1466 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 August 2023 - 11:02 PM

See the food services comings and goings thread for some insights. Downtown Victoria has never in its modern history had such a high concentration of liquor selling establishments per-capita.

Just micro-breweries alone in our region have exploded in number.

Yet the approximate total volume of beer sold/consumed hasn't changed all that much.  The micro-breweries just take market share from Labatt and Molson, to the point where you pretty much can't get their beers on tap in the pubs any more.

#1467 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 08:54 AM

The region has among the nation’s highest alcohol consumption rates, though. Lots of taxes for government.

Know it all.

#1468 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,783 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 08:58 AM

At least, like the lotteries, it's a voluntary tax.

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#1469 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 August 2023 - 01:00 PM

The region has among the nation’s highest alcohol consumption rates, though. Lots of taxes for government.

Really? I had no idea.

#1470 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 12 August 2023 - 01:54 PM

Greater Victoria doesn't even have close to the highest alcohol consumption on Vancouver Island let alone the Nation.

#1471 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 12 August 2023 - 01:57 PM

Yet the approximate total volume of beer sold/consumed hasn't changed all that much.  The micro-breweries just take market share from Labatt and Molson, to the point where you pretty much can't get their beers on tap in the pubs any more.

Beer consumption per capita has changed in the last decade or two. It has declined.

#1472 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 03:40 PM

Splitting hairs, and beer is just one form of alcoholic beverage. Our region (health region) is #2 in BC for per-capita piss-ups.

Not good.

The B.C. Interior saw the highest rates of pandemic alcohol consumption at 13.96 litres of pure alcohol per capita, followed by the Vancouver Island region with 11.54 litres.
The Fraser Health region saw the lowest consumption rates with an average of 7.09 litres per capita, while the Vancouver Coastal Health region averaged 7.75 litres and the Northern Health region averaged 10.78 litres.

- https://beta.ctvnews...708572.amp.html

Here’s the latest update:

In the most recent year of our BC Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Monitoring Project data (2021/22), BC recorded a decrease of 0.18L in age 15+ per capita ethanol consumption, down to 9.1L from 9.28L. The current total averages out to 534 standard drinks (SDs) per person over the age of 15 per year, including non-drinkers.

While this year marks a decrease to 2019/20 levels of consumption (9.11L) after a record high year in 2020/2021, consumption levels in BC based on AOD monitoring remain well above the Canadian average of 475 SDs per capita.

- https://www.uvic.ca/...cohol/index.php

The above link also shows us, consumption in bars has decreased, while consumption in restaurants has increased, as restaurants become de facto bars.

So BC is way above average for consumption, and Vancouver Island is the #2 top region for consumption. We’re on a real roll here! Good for us.

Know it all.

#1473 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 August 2023 - 06:11 PM

534 drinks per year? I call BS.

#1474 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 August 2023 - 06:25 PM

Ah, so a ‘standard drink’ is pretty small. Any ways, Canada and BC are far down the scale globally.

#1475 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 12 August 2023 - 08:43 PM

Splitting hairs, and beer is just one form of alcoholic beverage. Our region (health region) is #2 in BC for per-capita piss-ups.

Obviously beer is one form of alcoholic beverage but when you are making the argument that the growth of micro-breweries proves there is a higher concentration of alcohol sales per capita it is hardly 'splitting hairs' to point out that they have not replaced the market share of declining consumption of macro breweries. 

When you aggregate the data into five regional health authorities, the meaningful takeaways you can reach is greatly reduced. Looking closer at the data shows that Greater Victoria only has the 13th highest alcohol sales out of 14 regions within the much larger health authority. Hardly a giant piss-up.

#1476 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 12 August 2023 - 08:55 PM

Here’s the latest update:

- https://www.uvic.ca/...cohol/index.php

The above link also shows us, consumption in bars has decreased, while consumption in restaurants has increased, as restaurants become de facto bars.

That link also shows that consumption in bars has greatly decreased (36% over 20 years) while consumption in restaurants has increased at a smaller rate (19% over 20 years). When combined, consumption has decreased 16% in bars and restaurants per capita in Greater Victoria. It is neat how you can misrepresent data when you don't get into the specifics.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#1477 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 05:42 AM

There’s a reason for less drinking at bars compared to decades past. What has changed since the 80s or 90s or early 00s?

Drinking and driving laws, and less bars!

But we’re not interested in drinking data from 2000, we’re interested in what’s happening now, and consumption is growing.

I mentioned micro breweries as an example of an industry segment. It’s part of a much bigger picture.

Know it all.

#1478 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 August 2023 - 01:27 PM

You keep saying that and ignoring the fact that it’s actually decreasing, not increasing.

Another source I’m sure you won’t read: https://www.statista...tatisticChapter

#1479 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 03:07 PM

I’m going to have to side with the UVic study, not some random website.

Know it all.

#1480 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 13 August 2023 - 09:14 PM

But we’re not interested in drinking data from 2000, we’re interested in what’s happening now, and consumption is growing.

Not true. The Uvic study you linked to shows a consumption decrease in each of the last five years for Greater Victoria. Are there any more uninformed statements you would like to make without looking at the data to back them up?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users