Chek-tv | Local cable 6

• Please log in to reply
660 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

Since I do not have cable, I can not watch CHEK and have not watched it for years.

They do not provide their meager and badly done local news broadcast online.

For a TV station located in the capital of BC, their coverage of political issues has been pathetic.

For someone that has never seen CHEK programming you seem to have a lot of insight into their news coverage.

As a TV station that should be looking at local issues, CHEK has not covered local government issues to any serious extent. They could have worked with the municipalities and set up a 24/7 feed from all of the council chambers. They could have then pulled off relevant things as they happen and provide a raw live feed for the public.

This would be a good alternative to those that find the BC Legislature channel too action-packed and want something a little quieter.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

For someone that has never seen CHEK programming you seem to have a lot of insight into their news coverage.

This would be a good alternative to those that find the BC Legislature channel too action-packed and want something a little quieter.

I have seen CHEK's news coverage over the years when I had cable and never noted any interest or attempt by them to try and actually cover the news that is relevant to the city or the province. If they actually started doing longer in depth stories about the issue of the city or BC politics, then I apologize for my error.

Offering a simple streaming video feed would not be very expensive, but would offer some reason for some people to actually go their website.

They seem to be unable to even offer their own news broadcasts online.

#23 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

From today's Times Colonist:

A Harmac-style employee takeover of Victoria-based CHEK television is proposed as an option by workers struggling to keep the Vancouver Island television station on the air.

Talks are underway to get Canwest-Global, the owner of the station, to allow the sale of B.C.'s oldest TV station to avoid a planned Aug. 31 closure.

A possibility being considered is employee ownership, similar to the model employees at Harmac pulp mill used to resuscitate that mill when then-owner Pope and Talbot went bankrupt last year.

Canwest announced earlier this month it was rolling up operation of CHEK, which is into its fifth decade of operation. It could be a while yet before details of the proposal become public, but staff members are anxious to avert the closure of the station, preserving media diversity on Vancouver Island, and their jobs.

"We're looking at ways to try and keep the station operating and employees employed and keep CHEK television on the air after Sept. 1," said Rob Germain, news director.

Forty employees are affected by the closure.

Station manager John Pollard said employees are "working diligently towards a local ownership," and that has generated considerable interest among viewers and investors.

"We've had four different groups come through and say: 'We want to be part of this.' We've had calls from lots of other people. We've had people calling, saying: 'I've got $25,000, how can I help you guys stay on the air."

Options include a rescue similar to that of Harmac, where employees formed a partnership with three private investors, to buy the old pulp mill.

CHEK employees are considering something similar, although no details are available.

"That is one of the options," Germain said, adding "it's premature to say too much about that now."

CHEK news reporter Kendall Hanson is "excited" a closure could be averted, but has concerns about whether the deal will be allowed.

"I'm not 100% sold that indeed Canwest-Global is thrilled about the idea of us being bought," Hanson said.

Hanson said he hopes viewers contact the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.

"We've had interest from investors. Now I'm hoping there's public pressure on both Global and the CRTC we can get the deal going."

#24 BZelley

BZelley
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Employees purchasing the company would be an excellent solution.

Maybe citizens of Vancouver Island could purchase a few shares of a new company as a token of our appreciation for all of the excellent local news
and other special events.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

Employees purchasing the company would be an excellent solution.

I'd be surprised if this will come to pass. Maybe someone will start up a station when CRTC says one is up for bids, but no one can afford to buy the going-forard liabilities of the current CHEK.

#26 BZelley

BZelley
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

I'd be surprised if this will come to pass. Maybe someone will start up a station when CRTC says one is up for bids, but no one can afford to buy the going-forard liabilities of the current CHEK.

I wouldn't expect the liabilities of CHEK would or should be the part of any deal. Assets and warm bodies would be an important starting point
for the deal. The warm bodies would be any experienced employees
ready to stick around and do their thing.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

I wouldn't expect the liabilities of CHEK would or should be the part of any deal. Assets and warm bodies would be an important starting point
for the deal. The warm bodies would be any experienced employees
ready to stick around and do their thing.

Well, unless Canwest says so, and takes back their pension and buy-out liabilities, then the station will no be sold as is. If the CRTC says the license is up for sale, fair enough. Then the buying party has to buy a building and equipment too. Because CHEK penetrates into the lower mainland, Canwest has some interest in not letting it go cheap, just for it to then compete against it's Vancouver channel.

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:05 AM

Unless CHEK agreed to write a big cheque to employees and deal with the property and equipment leases, it would not be possible to just "start from scratch".

I remember the very day that A-channel opened, ther media gurus in town said that the market was not large enough to support 2 television stations.

I think that is still the case and if someone buys CHEK they will just be throwing good money after bad.

#29 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

Employees seek to buy CHEK TV

Staff to put up $500,000 but rely on investors for other 75 per cent

http://www.vancouver...4520/story.html

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:20 PM

Big woop, employees are putting in $15k each. 1/4 of a years pay. Wow.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

Pretty good especially consider they will be forgoing a severance if this goes through.

#32 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

I was having a conversation with my dad the other day on this to get his take on the subject since he was integral to CHEK TV for over 10 years, and was quite surprised to learn that this campaign has apparently not considered approaching their historic on-air personnel for funds. Dad I can assure you could write a check larger than $15K yet it seems no one has thought of contacting the CHEK TV 'old guard' and ascertaining whether they'd like to assist by investing. Seems a bit strange to me. Best of luck to them however.

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

I was having a conversation with my dad the other day on this to get his take on the subject since he was integral to CHEK TV for over 10 years, and was quite surprised to learn that this campaign has apparently not considered approaching their historic on-air personnel for funds. Dad I can assure you could write a check larger than $15K yet it seems no one has thought of contacting the CHEK TV 'old guard' and ascertaining whether they'd like to assist by investing. Seems a bit strange to me. Best of luck to them however.

I'm wondering if the employees want to limit ownership within their own group, instead of the general public. It's one thing to donate money; it's another thing entirely to sell shares (and control) to a wider group.

Or it could simply be that CHEK employees have lost touch with the "old guard" over the years.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#34 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

victoria is the only capital that doesn't have a cbc station but cbc is having its own money troubles...

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

We have a CBC radio station. CBC Television is a waste of time. If the CBC TV was half as good as the radio station it would be the only channel I watched.

#36 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

CHEK 6 was CBC TV until the 1980s.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

CHEK 6 was CBC TV until the 1980s.

No it wasn't. It was CTV.

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

You're both off. It was a dual-affiliate, broadcasting CBC and CTV until 1981 when it sided with CTV.

1971:

source

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:46 PM

Doh!

#40 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

The CBC had affiliates in several markets that also broadcast some CTV content. The CBC was not happy with these stations and worked to cut them loose in the early 1980s. CHBC in the Okanagan was in the same situation.

I am trying to remember which national news they used, I seem remember it being the National from CBC.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users