• todd likes this

#582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:18 AM

Personally I can't wait for the 67th!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#583 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 12:30 PM

Rob Shaw is quitting the Vancouver Sun to work as a political journalist for CHEK. I hope they allow him to do in depth work, perhaps even his own show.

• GaryRanson likes this

#584 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 03:15 PM

Rob Shaw is quitting the Vancouver Sun to work as a political journalist for CHEK. I hope they allow him to do in depth work, perhaps even his own show.

He's been on CHEK quite a bit, recently. He was featured on the weekly pre-election show and they've brought him in on the news on a semi-regular basis since then.

#585 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 04:41 PM

Excellent! He’s the real deal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#586 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 01:04 AM

Slowly beginning the lengthy task of going through the family (picture) archives; nice shot of dad enjoying a laugh - not to mention the proverbial drink - with Charlie White (CHEK TV co-founder) at the station's 50th anniversary celebration in 2006.

Boy do I recall as a young boy a lot of scenes like this at some of those epic 'media parties" at our old place on Cedar Hill Rd in the 60's, they were like something right out of "Mad Men" where the booze flowed like a river, cigarette ashtrays were piled a mile high and parties went on and on....and on, lol. Even when the cops showed up - and they knew all the TV-radio-newspaper guys at the party naturally - they'd (sometimes) issue an obligatory "warning" <nudge, wink>, then hang out and have a drink or three themselves.

Attached Images

• CHEK 50th.jpg

#587 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:13 AM

Don't forget to keep an eye out for some "Dance Party" pics.

#588 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:18 AM

So I was watching CHEK News yesterday, while multi-tasking. I had just seen on my phone a bulletin from CNN, saying Trump had signed the Covid relief bill. Not 60 second later the CHEK anchor was introducing a network piece about Trump holding off signing the bill. I listened to see if they announced the update in the intro...nope. So I said to Mrs. Mike, I guess they'll have to wait until the report is over to update the story. They come out of the piece, no update. Throw to a break...go into other segments. Is this a "news" station? They're doing a lot of things right these days, but c'mon. Stay awake.

• Mike K. likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#589 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:22 AM

Don't forget to keep an eye out for some "Dance Party" pics.

Yes I have no idea about this "Dance Party" about which the T-C spoke, lol. 

#590 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:33 AM

They say the memory is the second thing to go....I forgot what the first thing was.

https://livevictoria...urce/13611/view
  • AllseeingEye, Teardrop and johnk2 like this

#591 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:11 AM

So I was watching CHEK News yesterday, while multi-tasking. I had just seen on my phone a bulletin from CNN, saying Trump had signed the Covid relief bill. Not 60 second later the CHEK anchor was introducing a network piece about Trump holding off signing the bill. I listened to see if they announced the update in the intro...nope. So I said to Mrs. Mike, I guess they'll have to wait until the report is over to update the story. They come out of the piece, no update. Throw to a break...go into other segments. Is this a "news" station? They're doing a lot of things right these days, but c'mon. Stay awake.

Is the broadcast pre-recorded? 

#592 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:13 AM

They say the memory is the second thing to go....I forgot what the first thing was.

https://livevictoria...urce/13611/view

Yeah I should ask Glenn Parfitt one day what the connection is if any between him and his outstanding Royal City Music Project site and LiveVictoria since they basically play (played?) in the same space. And I see they cross post essentially the same pics at least for Club 6.

The Forum for LiveVictoria has been closed for over 2 years whereas Glenn & the RCMP site are flourishing so I wonder if the L-V guys just gave up?

#593 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:26 AM

Not to mention it wasn't exactly a surprise; Trump tweeted two hours beforehand that a deal was coming. I don't think they pre-tape but I'm pretty sure they usually can't be bothered to edit something that's already in the teleprompter, especially a non-local story. 

#594 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:40 AM

Don’t they pre-tape some newscasts? I always though the night ones were done earlier?

Know it all.

#595 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 11:34 AM

I'm sure Chek news is pre-recorded on the weekends.  Just watch the weather section on the weekend, it could be dark outside and the weather reporter is outside in a sunny backyard.

weekdays I believe it is live, because I've come across Ed Bain reporting live on location.

#596 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 01:45 PM

I'm sure that newscast was live. The weather seems to be regularly pre-recorded on weekends from Tess's yard I guess.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#597 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:13 PM

Pre-record the weather? Jesus, why not just have a Grade 6 kid on Zoom read out the Environment Canada forecast.

• Mike K. likes this

#598 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:20 PM

^ I got it...Grade 6...Channel 6.

#599 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 03:14 PM

I didn't even realize that. I was just trying to think of the minimum IQ needed to summarize the latest from EnvironmentCanada.ca which would be better than getting the Thanksgiving Day forecast on December 28.

Edited by Rob Randall, 28 December 2020 - 03:15 PM.

#600 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:08 AM

Oh I know where you’re going with this one.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users