Chek-tv | Local cable 6

• Please log in to reply
660 replies to this topic

#621 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 02:00 PM

Scrolling FB today, Mike, I find myself seeing Chek posts and thinking they are VV posts at first. One second more reading and it’s cleared up but at first glance while scrolling…
  • Sparky likes this

#622 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 June 2022 - 05:09 PM

I totally thought this was a VV article being linked to at first glance

vchek.JPG

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#623 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 05:46 PM

I just can't believe that CHEK's choice of a new logo is coincidence.

#624 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 02:15 PM

Usually makes me think of Nike.

#625 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 02:28 PM

A bit like Global but rotated
C940F733-26EB-46CD-B91E-7125050553E2.jpeg

Edited by todd, 10 June 2022 - 02:29 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#626 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 09:13 PM

I continue to be amazed and a little awed at how much material regarding dad's old CHEK TV show is floating around out there either on the web or in the personal effects of associates and contemporaries from his radio and later TV days - stuff that even the family has been unaware of until now. In the past I have received clippings, articles, picture stills, film, and even a few tape recordings from his media pals from Dallas, Pensacola, California, across this country from Vancouver to Ontario and even Australia.

Tonight a masonic brother, a member of my old lodge who ironically has his own local radio show on CFUV, forwarded me a trove of Club 6 material I'm still going through. It was left in the estate of a recently deceased friend who was one of the original teen dancers on the show in 1962. Some of it needs to be re-scanned. Its primarily priceless pre-production meeting notes and minutes prior to the show even being approved by CHEK management, when it was still very much being pitched. To that point in his CHEK career dad was a remote reporter, weekend news host and voice over personality.

Among other things dad as Club 6 MC/Host was "...to exemplify the Dick Clark role". Yeah no kidding I only heard that about ten million times growing up. Apparently he was good at it because it worked

The show's studio set was designed to emulate an early 60's malt shop, circa 1962 specifically. The original 'hit parade' intel which was the basis for which songs were played and which the "kids danced to, was supplied by CKDA and vetted with dad each week prior to taping the show; and the original sponsor agreed to supply TWO CASES of pop each week as prizes, lol. Priceless stuff. Clearly the marketing budget was, um, limited although over time it got better. Always amazing when you think you know all there is to know about your family history and then out of nowhere apparently, something like this materialises.

Oh and the graphic designers who came up with the Club 6 logo in the attached promo did a far superior job than whoever designed that latest CHEK schtick. Of course I'm biased....

Attached Images

• C6promonote.jpg

Edited by AllseeingEye, 10 June 2022 - 09:14 PM.

• Nparker, Matt R. and todd like this

#627 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 05:06 AM

You would think that Vancouver Island's only television station would put more of an effort into reporting on the civic election results....than to end their reporting at 9:00 PM and return to their regularly scheduled programming...a cooking show.

Not cool.

#628 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 05:21 AM

They began coverage at 9pm, no?

I think CTV has a station here too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 October 2022 - 05:21 AM.

#629 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 06:10 AM

Oops…I meant 10:00.

Edit: I also meant only station providing live coverage.

Obviously I need to have a cup of tea before I post in the morning.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#630 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 05:41 PM

Oops…I meant 10:00.

Edit: I also meant only station providing live coverage.

Obviously I need to have a cup of tea before I post in the morning.

Most of the major races had been decided by then. What more was there to add? Producing commercial-free content isn't inexpensive. And they were the only ones to do it.

#631 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 05:54 PM

^ I don’t think they said a word about Saanich before they signed off.

#632 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 09:10 PM

I haven’t had cable in 15 years and also haven’t watched local tv for as long. Don’t miss it a bit. It surprises me that people still watch tv news.
  • Nparker, dasmo and Barrrister like this

#633 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 09:35 PM

I haven't watched any TV news or read any form of newspaper in its entirety for over 2.5 years. I don't miss it for a moment.

#634 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 11:24 PM

TV? what is that? 

#635 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 06:20 AM

I still get the Economist which I do find worthwhile.

• AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

#636 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 10:55 AM

Depends I think on the environment you grew up in, and in particular when; I started watching network news at age 11 in 1971 (CBC's The National) as a way to get my parents to let me stay up later, heh.

I also grew up in a media family so naturally it just became part of the family landscape and ingrained as part of my 'routine', to this day. I continue to watch television news - not CBC mind you - because I enjoy staying informed and don't subscribe to any particular theory about MSM media 'conspiracies' pushing a specific government agenda. I'm a big boy and can make up my own mind whether a particular news org, be it CBC, FOX etc - is trying to con or influence me. And sure I could get 'instant' news online but as I'm working on systems, applications and computers all day at work why would I want to spend even more time glued to a computer?

I do find value in watching or reading different news sources for sure. I tend to gravitate toward BBC internationally and Global locally, although I do find some of the younger news readers and one individual on Global Vancouver especially, have abandoned the old dictum of reporting and reading the news while allowing the viewer to make up his or her own mind. That one person I find irksome in the extreme and will change the channel if he happens to be on air at that time. Also way back in the Dark Ages I was a huge consumer of CKNW talk radio when that news platform and format was at its zenith ~ in the 1970-80's.

#637 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 11:55 AM

I think of it like food preferences. Some families prefer to buy their food ready-made, pre-packaged for consumption, by "professionals" like Campbell's Soup Corporation and HungryMan. While others prefer to gather fresh ingredients from diverse sources and home-cook a meal that, while it takes more effort to make, is healthier and more fulsomely nutritious. 

Same goes for news and media consumption. If you've only ever known "'professional" content, then downloading your information and opinions in a neat pre-packaged format seems normal. But if you're savvy, there's a world of flavours and nutrients out there way beyond what the newsroom at BBC can pre-package for your consumption. To each their own.

#638 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 12:19 PM

That's an interesting way of putting it. I suppose you could say I'm on a news fast.
  • dasmo and max.bravo like this

#639 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 12:54 PM

Chek and CTV Vancouver island are good for local content.
However, if you watch a Chek newscast it is about 10 minutes of their content, then weather and the upside guys for 15 minutes and CBC news stories for the remainder.

Edited by UDeMan, 17 October 2022 - 12:54 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#640 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 01:27 PM

Chek and CTV Vancouver island are good for local content.
However, if you watch a Chek newscast it is about 10 minutes of their content, then weather and the upside guys for 15 minutes and CBC news stories for the remainder.

And really, that's about all this market can support. They don't have the same resources in terms of reporters and camera crews as a major metro. I can't imagine their ad fees to Dr. Ross Crapo, Romeos, the local Bathfitter franchise and similar local businesses are that high. Luckily they have that CBC content to fall back on for national/international news. The weekend newscast is even more reliant on the CBC, I don't bother watching.

How many pizzas does Romeos have to sell for each ad spot, how many cleanings does Dr. Crapo's office need to perform, etc.

It can't be that many, or it wouldn't be worth it to them.

Say each time the ad runs nightly gets Romeos 5 new pizza sales. That's what, $100 total revenue? Maybe $125? Subtract their food / labour etc costs. If the ad run costs more than $30, it's not worth it for them.

Hard to pay too many reporters when those are your advertisers.

Edited by vortoozo, 17 October 2022 - 01:34 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users