• Please log in to reply
1054 replies to this topic

#1001 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

I could have sworn we had some more recent discussion on HST...

Anyway, my hair cut was 50 cents cheaper today. That's $8.67 I'll save this year. Actually it's $8.67 more that my hairdresser will make in tips as I always make it an "even twenty".

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1002 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

As my organization is still in the midst of re-learning PST, I can tell you, unequivocally, that this tax is a piece of garbage. GST/HST is a beautiful thing in comparison.

The legislation is garbage. The branch in charge of administering this tax is nearly non-existant. Questions take weeks to get responses on. Their rulings department isn't even operating yet. Not to mention the tax itself is a confusing, inconsistent, piece of crap.

Oh, and we are losing out on ITCs.

#1003 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Tell us how you really feel, jonny! :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1004 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

I could have sworn we had some more recent discussion on HST...

Anyway, my hair cut was 50 cents cheaper today. That's $8.67 I'll save this year. Actually it's $8.67 more that my hairdresser will make in tips as I always make it an "even twenty".

You get your hair cut 17.34 times a year?

#1005 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

You get your hair cut 17.34 times a year?

His haircuts don't fit squarely into one calendar year. One year it might be 17, next 17, next 18, next 17, next 17.... Get it?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1006 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

I better shine a brighter light on my solar powered calculator.. or drink more coffee.

I completely botched that one up.

52/6=8.67. 8.67 hair cuts per year x .50 cents = $4.34 in tax saved.

Even if I didn't tip the hairdresser the extra 50 cents, $4.34 isn't enough for a new calculator.

#1007 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Even if I didn't tip the hairdresser the extra 50 cents, $4.34 isn't enough for a new calculator.

Lotsa $1.25 calculators at the $1.25 store on Douglas.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1008 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Tell us how you really feel, jonny! :P

I'm not afraid to do that!

Just grabbed a coffee from Bean Around the World...asked the girl at the till why they hadn't reduced their price to reflect the elimination of the HST and she just stared at me blankly...lol

I noticed that Habit has reduced their (after tax) coffee price by $.10, which isn't exactly 7%, but at least it's close.

#1009 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

A medium coffee at Discovery on Oak Bay Ave used to be $2.50 and is now $2.10.

#1010 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

We raised our prices by a few pennies on all non-alc beverages to round to a nickel after tax due to the elimination of the penny. Not getting screwed by 'rounding' in Fulford!!

Net price to our guests on non-alc beverges is down a little bit, haven't heard a peep but if I do I will take the opportunity to remind them that the price of cups, lids, sleeves, napkins, stir sticks, sugar caddies, take-out bags, tongs, etc just went up. ;)

Matt.

#1011 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

As my organization is still in the midst of re-learning PST, I can tell you, unequivocally, that this tax is a piece of garbage. GST/HST is a beautiful thing in comparison.

The removal of the HST will be studied in the future as an example of an electorate being led by emotion and media bias rather than actually rationally examining the facts. The HST was never actually debated in either the legislature or in the subsequent referendum in any meaningful way.

The BC electorate deserves a grade of F in civics.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1012 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

The removal of the HST will be studied in the future as an example of an electorate being led by emotion and media bias rather than actually rationally examining the facts. The HST was never actually debated in either the legislature or in the subsequent referendum in any meaningful way.

Absolutely! The people who foisted it on them in a shoud of lies and spectacular public relations miscues, however, deserve as bad a grade.

If they really felt it was such the improvement for everyone, it should have been an easy sell to everyone - not just bookkeepers, contractors, and home buyers - during the campaign.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#1013 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I fielded an email complaint from a guest who was in yesterday, telling me that she was charged GST on her meal, when that was supposed to have gone away April 1.

I thought at first she was just confused, what with all the letters and TLAs but she actually thought ALL tax was being repealed on restaurant meals.

Short memories.

Matt.

#1014 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Absolutely! The people who foisted it on them in a shoud of lies and spectacular public relations miscues, however, deserve as bad a grade.

If they really felt it was such the improvement for everyone, it should have been an easy sell to everyone - not just bookkeepers, contractors, and home buyers - during the campaign.

It was an epic failure on both accounts. Really, all the Liberals had to do was point to every single economic and financial expert who was happy to say how beneficial HST would be. Instead, they played everybody for ignorant fools and tried to weasel it in through the side door.

They also could have, I'm sure, negotiated some of the PST exemptions into the BC HST, like food. Gas for example, remained at only 5% HST when the PST was repealed.

Anyway, it's done now I suppose. It won't be touched for a while. You watch, every single province (aside from Quebec and provinces with GST only) will have HST before too long, and BC will be looking to make the move (again)! I think the only ones left are Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

I was at an accounting professional development sales tax course a couple of months ago. The instructor had the entire room shaking their head when he said "BC is the only jurisdiction in the WORLD to go from a value added tax to a retail sales tax. Everywhere else is going the other way." The big benefit is input tax credits for business. *Sigh*

#1015 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

All they needed to do was reduce it by 1%, to make an 11% HST. That way, consumers would see some tangible benefits on some purchases, in order to offset the pain of new tax on food, etc. It would have been a tradeoff, rather than just a negative or no change on all purchases. This seemed SO obvious.

#1016 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Didn't the Liberals promise to eventually reduce it to 11%?

#1017 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

^Yes, they did, some time in the future.

All they needed to do was reduce it by 1%, to make an 11% HST. That way, consumers would see some tangible benefits on some purchases, in order to offset the pain of new tax on food, etc. It would have been a tradeoff, rather than just a negative or no change on all purchases. This seemed SO obvious.

Yes, that probably would have done it. Very sad.

#1018 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

You watch, every single province (aside from Quebec and provinces with GST only) will have HST before too long, and BC will be looking to make the move (again)! I think the only ones left are Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Probably.

#1019 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

For purely nationalistic reasons I prefer the PST despite the HST being a more sound financial choice perhaps this is what other BC'ers were thinking when they voted.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1020 crabbygit

crabbygit
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

This is an old thread I can see, but wanted to add my 2 cents, I have read through previous posts but of course not all so some of my comments maybe, most likely are mute.

I operate a small business have done for 21 years just my wife and I the HST was detrimental to my business as I had to add that 7% to the cost of my service where it didn't previously exist.

While I can agree that bookkeeping was easier than it is with two separate taxes I would say that the attempt to install the HST was a Federally instigated attempt to unlawfully tax British Columbians and this won't be the end of the story as they will come back to the trough, but from a different angle next time . Yes large corporations were 100% in favour of HST as it benefits them, this was evidenced by the magnitude of corporate objection to the Fight HST campaign and the corporate funding they provided for the lawsuit to stop it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users