Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) discussion

• Please log in to reply
1054 replies to this topic

#101 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

And the thousands of people who earn less than 1/3 of that $45,000 severance pay per year are on the hook to pay increased tax at the till :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad::rolleyes:

On physical goods the price at the till will be lower. On groceries there will be no HST. There will also be an HST rebate for low income.

There are very few people in the bottom 20% of earnings that will not have a lower cost of living after the HST.

#102 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

So, where does a person sign the anti HST petition? I presume you can't do it online? HST will have a huge negative impact on my husband's business.

#103 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

So, where does a person sign the anti HST petition? I presume you can't do it online? HST will have a huge negative impact on my husband's business.

White Eagle Hall in James Bay, Saturdays from noon until 8 p.m. and Sundays from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.

#104 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

Adam Stirling Comment

Apr 30, 2010

At what point will they realize that nearly everyone in the province is opposing what they are doing.

It’s not just 80 percent of the electorate.

It’s not just every single member of the legislative assembly that isn’t a Liberal. That includes the independent member with no partisan affiliations.

It’s not just former Liberal Finance Minister Carole Taylor.

It’s not just outspoken political junkies like me.

But now it’s elections BC as well!

With everyone fighting against the Liberals, I can’t help but wonder whose interests they are actually representing. Is there anyone left? Other than actual members of the Liberal party?

For the complete HST editorial
http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=13428

#105 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

And the thousands of people who earn less than 1/3 of that $45,000 severance pay per year are on the hook to pay increased tax at the till :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad::rolleyes:

Who would be working full time for less than 15k a year, that's less than minimum wage?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#106 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

White Eagle Hall in James Bay, Saturdays from noon until 8 p.m. and Sundays from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Perfect, that's right in my hood! Thanks!

#107 Fighthstvictoria

Fighthstvictoria
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

http://fighthst.com/...- South Islands

this lists all confirmed venues that you can sign the petition at. Additionally, we try to show up at various places where large crowds will be (last night we were outside the Stars on Ice event at the Arena, we'll be outside there again tonight for the George Thorogood concert)

#108 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:14 AM

http://fighthst.com/...- South Islands

this lists all confirmed venues that you can sign the petition at. Additionally, we try to show up at various places where large crowds will be (last night we were outside the Stars on Ice event at the Arena, we'll be outside there again tonight for the George Thorogood concert)

Nice work! How are we doing on the numbers for each riding? I read a week or so ago that the South VI ridings were kinda lagging compared to other ridings (which had already met and exceeded their threshold targets).

#109 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

Any parade with The Zalm as Grand Marshal is to be avoided as far as I'm concerned.
I was accosted twice in the past 3 days by his minions.
First guy on OB Avenue, after I told him I'd signed he asked where? when? what canvasser? do you live in OG-Gordon Head?
I didn't know interrogation was part of the package.
Second loopster was my neighbour who banged on the door at 10pm, got us out of bed in pjs (we were watching Guergis emoting) and when I said "its 10pm, how about tomorrow?" she blithely countered with "but your (upstairs) light was on".
How fitting The Zalm has lined up such dedicated lemmings.:mad:

#110 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

Any parade with The Zalm as Grand Marshal is to be avoided as far as I'm concerned.
I was accosted twice in the past 3 days by his minions.
First guy on OB Avenue, after I told him I'd signed he asked where? when? what canvasser? do you live in OG-Gordon Head?
I didn't know interrogation was part of the package.
Second loopster was my neighbour who banged on the door at 10pm, got us out of bed in pjs (we were watching Guergis emoting) and when I said "its 10pm, how about tomorrow?" she blithely countered with "but your (upstairs) light was on".
How fitting The Zalm has lined up such dedicated lemmings.:mad:

Some of the HST lemmings are friends that also volunteered their time for the Johnson Street Bridge petition. I was one of those lemmings, and it appears our work is not yet finished.

#111 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:51 PM

So as I'm part of the working poor, should I be for or against the HST? From what I've read it seems reasonable but I generally have no idea about taxes.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

So as I'm part of the working poor, should I be for or against the HST? From what I've read it seems reasonable but I generally have no idea about taxes.

Go get yourself educated, then:

A) You'll move up to the ranks of the working, above the poverty level.

B) At the same time, study some economics of taxes!

#113 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

I did, then my career field died and I'm paying off the debt. Don't have the time or money for further debt/education. There's always going to be a large proportion of people making such wages/jobs, unless you're ok with everyone making a minimum living wage... but without exploited wage-slaves making other people rich our economy might change so we can't have it.

#114 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

Personally I'm indifferent about HST. Taxes have to come from somewhere and sales tax is pretty fair. I guess I should have a problem "ever dollar of revenue from the Tax will be allocated to Health Care", since I'm young and healthy ... but one day I'll be sick and aged.

#115 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

I did, then my career field died and I'm paying off the debt. Don't have the time or money for further debt/education. There's always going to be a large proportion of people making such wages/jobs, unless you're ok with everyone making a minimum living wage... but without exploited wage-slaves making other people rich our economy might change so we can't have it.

You'll get a rebate.

#116 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

Rebates for me, more money for health care, sounds nice.

#117 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

I was talking to a Realtor the other day, trying to figure out what the carrying charges would be if I were to sell my condo to buy another. The number had already added up to a level that I realized I can't handle, and then he said - oh, and don't forget, in July there will be HST on top, at 7%, that will be another $28,000. on top of the $20,000 carrying charges!!!!

So anybody that's planning on buying a home - hop on it before the chilling effect comes in to effect!
Pieta VanDyke

#118 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

I was talking to a Realtor the other day, trying to figure out what the carrying charges would be if I were to sell my condo to buy another. The number had already added up to a level that I realized I can't handle, and then he said - oh, and don't forget, in July there will be HST on top, at 7%, that will be another $28,000. on top of the $20,000 carrying charges!!!!

So anybody that's planning on buying a home - hop on it before the chilling effect comes in to effect!

You only will pay HST only on a brand new condo or house and even then you will get a rebate of $26,250 HST paid on the first $525K

As a business owner, I am all for the HST, but on a personal level I'm not that crazy about it, especially since I will have to pay an extra 7% on my restaurant/coffee tab.

#119 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

I was talking to a Realtor the other day, trying to figure out what the carrying charges would be if I were to sell my condo to buy another. !

What carrying charges are you talking about?

You pay your realtor, negotiable, you pay your share of taxes etc. .... thats it.

If you want to save real money go to 1% realty, the charges realtors get are ridiculous. It was fine back in the day when houses were less than 100k but now.... no way.

Oh and the next time you see Vander Zalm ask him about the 1% property purchase tax he invoked.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#120 Fighthstvictoria

Fighthstvictoria
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

We're doing well, Bob...not as good as some, better than others. The Riding reports are also posted on www.fighthst.com as well. 6 of 7 ridings in Victoria are above the 10% mark as of last sunday. Unofficially (until the next sunday report of "petitions in hand") ALL are above 10%, and several are actually hitting our targets of 15%, which allows for a great margin of error.

...and in regards to another comment from someone else about Mr. Vander Zalm ...hell, I'm an ex union boy....three years ago I probably would have had harsh words for you if you said I'd be working for him. Now, however.....I'm satisfied he's doing it for the right reasons. I wouldn't be working with him if I even felt the slightest inkling otherwise.

....I trust him more than I trust Mr. Campbell.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users