Photo
- - - - -

Shopping Malls in Victoria and beyond

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

Poll: Best mall in Greater Victoria (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Best mall in Greater Victoria

1. Westshore Town Centre (Can West Mall) (6 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Hillside Centre (23 votes [25.56%])

Percentage of vote: 25.56%

3. Mayfair Shopping Centre (32 votes [35.56%])

Percentage of vote: 35.56%

4. Bay Centre (Downtown) (26 votes [28.89%])

Percentage of vote: 28.89%

5. Tillicum Centre (2 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

6. University Heights Shopping Centre (1 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#341 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

I recall discussions at Victoria Chamber meetings in the early 1980s about what should go into the empty BCFP property (now Selkirk Waterfront) and Costco seemed very popular choice. However it got too much neighbourhood and municipal opposition because of the traffic it would generate. 

Wasnt Selkirk the old Vic Plywood as well? I remember taking truckloads of documents there to be incinerated 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#342 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

But the 127k sq ft is 2 floors at 16' in height (or so) Costco needs 32' clear with rack so its really only 60k sq ft as a footprint

At the downtown Vancouver store they have two levels?

On another note, Costco predominantly locates near highway access points. I don’t think it would make sense for them to situate in a shopping centre that is the furthest of any local shopping centre from highway access.
  • Nparker and rjag like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#343 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,489 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Malls in the US are suffering the loss of these big anchor tenants. The department store is suffering big time. I also find this particular location difficult as it’s hidden and in the back. Thrifty’s should move here and free up that front location for something else.

#344 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Plenty of roof top parking was added at Hillside Mall during the last expansion. It has six charging stations, but but hardly anyone goes up there.

20180121_144024.jpg

i almost always park up there if i'm doing any "mall" shopping there... i only park down below if i'm running into shoppers

#345 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,748 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

...I also find this particular location difficult as it’s hidden and in the back...

Which is why some residential towers would work well here as they would actually benefit from being on the "quietest" side of the property.

• LocalMom likes this

#346 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,748 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

... i only park down below if i'm running into shoppers

I'll have to make sure I keep an eye out for you the next I am shopping at Hillside, lest you run into me.  :lol:

#347 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

Malls in the US are suffering the loss of these big anchor tenants. The department store is suffering big time. I also find this particular location difficult as it’s hidden and in the back. Thrifty’s should move here and free up that front location for something else.

Say, that's not a bad idea! Thrifty's could benefit from an expansion, I'm sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#348 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

The existing Sears building is pretty much irrelevant in the context of a Costco as they would likely bulldoze what's there and build whatever they need from scratch.

I think the best place for a new Costco is the Hudson's Bay space at Mayfair.

#349 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:18 PM

I don't think we need another Costco.

#350 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

I've never been to Costco, but apparently they are popular.
  • Bingo likes this

#351 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

That's what they said after the sixth Starbucks here.

Edited by Rob Randall, 21 January 2018 - 07:27 PM.

• jonny likes this

#352 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

That's what they said after the sixth Starbucks here.

That coffee is too bitter for me...six outlets is too many. We need more Discovery Coffee shops

Edited by Bingo, 21 January 2018 - 09:59 PM.

• thundergun likes this

#353 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

That coffee is too bitter for me...six outlets is too may. We need more Discovery Coffee shops

Ok, whatever. My point is you could put a Costco on Trial Island and people would soon be complaining it's too busy.

#354 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:21 PM

Go to the one in Langford and its busy every hour they are open.  I've been there at opening and there are already huge lineups when they open the doors

Vancouver has 8 locations, why shouldn't Victoria have another location?

#355 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

people will drive in from sooke or as far as Sidney to go to the langford costco.. they plan an afternoon/morning around it (there's even a company/person that delivers costco items would you believe!) if they built a second one it would split the current users of costco into two separate locations lowering the sales significantly at the langford location (yes a secondary location would get new members but i don't think it wildly jumping) i don't think costco would want to do something like that

#356 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

Costco has run the numbers and they want a second store in Victoria. The Langford location also serves a big portion of the Cowichan Valley which it would continue to serve with a more Victoria-focused location on the peninsula.

Believe it or not the drive from Duncan to Langford's Costco takes less time than the drive to the Nanaimo store.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.

#357 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

i don't doubt the draw! i would not be surprised 1 bit of people drive all the way from as far as Duncan to costco shop at langford, i know my parents who live in Port alberni drive into Naniamo regularly to do a costco shop..

the langford location is also one of the smaller locations (or so i've been told by staff)

#358 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

i don't doubt the draw! i would not be surprised 1 bit of people drive all the way from as far as Duncan to costco shop at langford, i know my parents who live in Port alberni drive into Naniamo regularly to do a costco shop..

the langford location is also one of the smaller locations (or so i've been told by staff)

I think it's a little larger than the Nanaimo one, if memory serves. I haven't been to the Courtenay/Comox location before, anyone know the size of that store?

#359 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

Comox valley has one with a population of what 70k. I guess more if you add campbell river. Point is we could definitely serve another. Peninsula makes the most sense to me

#360 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:27 AM

I think it’s 70k with Campbell River, believe it or not.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users