Photo
- - - - -

Shopping Malls in Victoria and beyond

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

Poll: Best mall in Greater Victoria (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Best mall in Greater Victoria

1. Westshore Town Centre (Can West Mall) (5 votes [5.62%])

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

2. Hillside Centre (23 votes [25.84%])

Percentage of vote: 25.84%

3. Mayfair Shopping Centre (32 votes [35.96%])

Percentage of vote: 35.96%

4. Bay Centre (Downtown) (26 votes [29.21%])

Percentage of vote: 29.21%

5. Tillicum Centre (2 votes [2.25%])

Percentage of vote: 2.25%

6. University Heights Shopping Centre (1 votes [1.12%])

Percentage of vote: 1.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#361 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:31 AM

Costco has run the numbers and they want a second store in Victoria. The Langford location also serves a big portion of the Cowichan Valley which it would continue to serve with a more Victoria-focused location on the peninsula.

Believe it or not the drive from Duncan to Langford's Costco takes less time than the drive to the Nanaimo store.

Is there a new Costco coming to Nanaimo?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#362 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,249 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:37 AM

Haven’t heard about any plans.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#363 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:55 AM

http://nationalpost....owntown-seattle

Amazon opens a store without checkouts in downtown Seattle The store allows shoppers to scan their smartphone with the Amazon Go app at a turnstile, pick out the items they want and leave
  • lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#364 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,468 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

Amazon opens a store without checkouts in downtown Seattle The store allows shoppers to scan their smartphone with the Amazon Go app at a turnstile, pick out the items they want and leave

The store is in their headquarters so only Amazon staff get to use.

#365 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:48 AM

The store is in their headquarters so only Amazon staff get to use.

No, no, that was the prototype.  This one is for the public too.

https://www.npr.org/...s-to-the-public

#366 mbjj

mbjj
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Maybe no place needs another Costco

https://www.sfgate.c...ub-12511119.php

#367 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,137 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

Costco is fast getting a monopoly in their area - 'wholesale' stores. They already have one here for the most part; other than some folks who shop at Bulk Barn or Wholesale club.

Sam's Club are all shutting down already. Smaller ones like H Y Louie have shut down. etc.

#368 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,137 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

Convenience style, grocery store. Interesting to note some of the challenges they've had, such as kids moving stuff around or getting customers mixed up due to 'similar body type'. Still need an employee to check ID for booze areas.

This certainly seems like the store of the future though. It's kind of like a human scale vending machine.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#369 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

Dollarama will start online sales of bulk items in the near future. Not sure if this will cut in to Costco sales.

The Costco shopping experience is not pleasant. If they had all their products online and I would
just buy and pick up, at the same price, I would do it.
  • VicHockeyFan and lanforod like this

#370 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

Is there a new Costco coming to Nanaimo?

yes they want to relocate because they are not allowed a gas bar, but they have been talking about it for years

#371 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,249 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:32 PM

Press release:

Anthem Properties and Crestpoint Real Estate Investments have purchased the Tillicum Centre in Victoria for $110 million.

RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust (REI-UN-T) had owned the shopping mall that is home to more than 40 stores, including Lowe’s, Save-On-Foods, London Drugs, Winners and a Cineplex cinema. Tillicum Centre is located about five kilometres north of downtown Victoria at 3170 Tillicum Road.

“This is an excellent acquisition for us,” said Kevin Leon, president of Crestpoint, in a release Monday afternoon. The Toronto-based commercial real estate investment manager holds about $4 billion of gross assets under management.

“Greater Victoria has emerged as one of the most desirable markets in Canada due to its growing population, diversified regional economy and strong fundamentals in the commercial real estate market. This situation is evident in the strong performance of the key tenants at Tillicum.”

• Matt R. and Promontory Kingpin like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#372 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:54 PM

As an owner in Parkside Place, I feel like celebrating. What’s the downside?

Matt.

#373 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,479 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:39 AM

^ My personal opinion is that there is some corporate smoke and mirrors going on here.

I like the mall. I go there about 3 times a week. It’s in an ideal location between my office and my home, and it is not that busy most times. There’s the rub for me about all this “strong performance” hooey....it’s just not that busy.

Why is there a dead restaurant in the parking lot? Look at the tenant change over time. There are vacant spaces there at most times.

Why is the sale price of $110M a whopping $30M below the assessed value?
  • Midnightly likes this

#374 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:47 AM

why does anything change hands? other than some tax manoeuvres they change hands because someone sees more value than another. i suppose ~50% of the time one party is right.

is it a growth neighbourhood? not really. is bricks and mortar retailing growing? no. is there development opportunity outside of retail? probably that’s a big parking lot.

just different visions I guess.

#375 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,249 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:50 AM

The McKenzie interchange is going to change everything.

Traffic congestion all around that mall has been a huge issue for redevelopment.

Although I don’t think Anthem has an medium term plans for this place. They bought Market Square in the 90’s and have made only minor upgrades over the last 20 years. The Bambu lot (Union) was their only project and it didn’t materialize for many years after acquiring the property.

Know it all.

#376 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:54 AM

having said is retail growing the anchor tenants there are more immune than others I guess.

home improvements are not leading e-retail
nor is consumer drugs and cleaning supplies
nor is discount limited run apparel (winners)

#377 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,249 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:02 AM

Believe it or not, traditional retail still far, far, far outcompetes online sales.

There are literally five brick-and-mortar retailers that control nearly 80% of commerce.

Know it all.

#378 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:20 AM

and groceries.

^ agree but the shift continues unabated.

#379 LJ

LJ
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

Only about 3% of consumers buy groceries online in the US.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#380 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

that’s a tough one for sure. mostly because of produce and meats etc.

above I was adding groceries to my previous list of hard to do online stores.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 February 2019 - 08:15 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users