Photo
- - - - -

Shopping Malls in Victoria and beyond

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

Poll: Best mall in Greater Victoria (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Best mall in Greater Victoria

1. Westshore Town Centre (Can West Mall) (6 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Hillside Centre (23 votes [25.56%])

Percentage of vote: 25.56%

3. Mayfair Shopping Centre (32 votes [35.56%])

Percentage of vote: 35.56%

4. Bay Centre (Downtown) (26 votes [28.89%])

Percentage of vote: 28.89%

5. Tillicum Centre (2 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

6. University Heights Shopping Centre (1 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

How much is the rent at their other location?

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

http://cfax1070.com/...s.php?poll=1450

Polls

Which Greater Victoria mall would you describe as the region’s “premier retail shopping destination?”
Answer Votes %
The Bay Centre 17 11%
Mayfair Mall 84 54%
Hillside Mall 25 16%
Tillicum Mall 7 4%
Westshore Town Centre 24 15%
Total: 157 100%

#63 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Came across this ten year-old quote from the TC regarding the wall separating University Heights from the Canadian Tire/Tim Hortons stripmall:

Mark Jones, owner of the nearby Tim Hortons, supported Home Depot as complementing his restaurant. "I believe and have always believed that business brings business." He hoped the store could work at persuading the University Heights owners to tear down the wall screening his place and Canadian Tire from the mall.

"I'd love to see it come down. It's an ugly wall," said Jones.

Mayor Frank Leonard said he was asking "the Pink Floyd question - - the wall, how will it be different in your development."

Home Depot's plan is to block two existing informal accesses through the wall and create one wide pedestrian entrance out of a third, and a wide sidewalk connecting to the front of Home Depot. It would be safer, its consultant said.

"Whether it's Pink Floyd's wall or the Berlin Wall, it needs to be opened up," said Cubberley.

It would be great if Gorbachev could come and tear it down in a ceremony.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#64 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

That stupid wall was promised to be removed when Home Depot was proposed.

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:26 AM

http://theprovince.c...all-for-a-while

Tsawwassen Mills to be the last new Metro Vancouver mall for a while?

Industry observers agree: The 1.2-million-sq.-ft. Tsawwassen Mills could be the last major shopping mall development in the Lower Mainland for the next decade, if not longer. Sky-high land prices throughout the region mean that low-density commercial developments such as malls are a difficult business case to make.

Food court:

deltabc-june-30-2016-pictured-is-the-foo

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

Tsawwassen Mills job fair fails to attract hoped-for job seekers
3,000 jobs up for grabs but only about 500 potential applicants showed up

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ekers-1.3727811

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#67 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:01 PM

Yup and to the point in the linked story, ironically its one of the larger malls on the mainland - about the same size as Park Royal - situated in one of the lesser populated munis. Obviously people from PoCo or Burnaby aren't going to hump it 20k for their minimum wage mall job. And lots of folks in Tsawwassen proper, White Rock, Ladner etc. are retirees, hardly your target market for attracting retail staff. 

• Nparker likes this

#68 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

I'm not a retail consultant but Id say this mall will flop.

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:05 PM

I'm not a retail consultant but Id say this mall will flop.

Is it close enough to become "Richmond's Mall"?  Maybe with an Asian style?

EDIT:   Oh, Richmond Mall looks pretty big.

#70 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:08 PM

Tsawwassen is growing quite quickly. It's pretty easy to get there too. I think a lot of Richmond still hoofs it to Metrotown - this will be a closer option, especailly after the tunnel is replaced with a bridge. Metrotown is always swamped, IMO greater Vancouver is underserved by malls. The location is a bit out there for sure.

One thing that concerns me about the whole area is the likelyhood it will be underwater sometime this century unless a LOT of money is spent on diking.

#71 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

Is it close enough to become "Richmond's Mall"?  Maybe with an Asian style?

EDIT:   Oh, Richmond Mall looks pretty big.

Richmond Centre is pretty big, at least as big as Mayfair. The big strike against it is that Sears closed down. Richmond also has the new MacArthur Park fashion mall near the YVR runway, Yaohan Centre which is a big Asian mall and Landsdowne Centre which used to be nice but is more downscale. These are all huge malls. I'm sure Richmonders will check this new one out but once the novelty wears off I don't know if there's enough to sustain it long term.

#72 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:37 AM

MacArthur Park? Thanks for the earworm, Rob.

#73 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:29 AM

Sorry, it's actual name is McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Vancouver Airport. This is what you see when you look up while you're shopping. High marks for this feature alone.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by Rob Randall, 07 September 2016 - 06:33 AM.

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

Waiting for the bus at River Rock you get that on the right days too.  Nice.

#75 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:34 AM

One thing that concerns me about the whole area is the likelyhood it will be underwater sometime this century unless a LOT of money is spent on diking.

If & when the lower mainland is underwater methinks few people will be concerned about the fate of one shopping mall.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:55 AM

It's not going to be that quick - if you are talking global warming.  Dikes will be built.

#77 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

This is really just an issue in Tsawwassen, south Delta, some of Richmond. 

ie. http://www.delta-opt...delta-1.453564 

Yes, diking will need to be done. It won't be cheap though.

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:33 AM

Peek inside Bass Pro Shops' epic new Outdoor World store, 1st in BC (PHOTOS)

http://dailyhive.com...ancouver-photos

(Tsawwassen Mills)

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:52 AM

http://dailyhive.com...mills-vancouver

(Tsawwassen Mills)

Uncle Buck's Fishbowl & Grill: Underwater-themed restaurant and bowling alley opens soon (PHOTOS)

#80 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:15 AM

Cabela's and Bass Pro provide long needed competition to MEC. MEC is awesome, but pricey.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)