Photo
- - - - -

Shopping Malls in Victoria and beyond

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

Poll: Best mall in Greater Victoria (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Best mall in Greater Victoria

1. Westshore Town Centre (Can West Mall) (6 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Hillside Centre (23 votes [25.56%])

Percentage of vote: 25.56%

3. Mayfair Shopping Centre (32 votes [35.56%])

Percentage of vote: 35.56%

4. Bay Centre (Downtown) (26 votes [28.89%])

Percentage of vote: 28.89%

5. Tillicum Centre (2 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

6. University Heights Shopping Centre (1 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:40 AM

I think lots of people will go in conjunction with a trip for other reasons.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#102 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:07 AM

Can't you just use worms as lures?

LOL I don't think so. Artificial lures work far better. Depends on the local water conditions, the fish species you're after, the time of year, even the time of day especially if you are fly fishing etc. A good outlet like Island Outfitters or presumably Bass Pro have staff knowledgeable in all those areas. Last time out to the San Juan two years ago I had the best day ever (landed 7 coho, 3 rainbow trout in < than 5 hours) because the guys at I-O recommended lures x and y, and all fish caught that day were on those lures.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#103 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:05 PM

They said the same in Calgary when CrossIron Mills opened, and it seems to have survived. The anchor stores (also a Bass Pro Shop) really make it attractive, particularly for rural folks

It was also said about Vaughan Mills outside of Toronto. It's almost as if Ivanhoe Cambridge has done some sort of market research before building a major shopping centre. I keep seeing all sorts of "this will fail" stuff about this mall, but it will do just fine. They build these mega malls in an unbuilt area of a major metro area, and within 10 years the surrounding area has boomed. As will be the case here.
  • VicHockeyFan, Matt R. and jonny like this

#104 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:20 PM

I'd guess metro Vancouver is starved for malls, quite frankly. Metro Town and Pacific Centre are a hassle for many at the best of times.

#105 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:22 PM

I'd guess metro Vancouver is starved for malls, quite frankly. Metro Town and Pacific Centre are a hassle for many at the best of times.

Yup and look at all the mall projects/upgrades underway in Burnaby and Oakridge to cite but two examples - the latter plan is huge - in addition to the opening of Tsawwassen Mills. Basically all copying the "metrotown center" model.

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:24 AM

The Shops at Aura, Toronto:

The complex was built to house 122 standalone retail units, most about 250 square feet, in simple glass and drywall. Of these units the Aura’s online floor plan lists just over 50 as presently occupied – but many of those, it becomes clear should one actually descend upon the Shops in person, have since been ditched or hurriedly fled. Some bear signs declaring overnight foreclosure: “rent owed,” “lease terminated,” things like that. Others that seem to be in business – hand-written sale signs in the window, reams of merchandise still on display – are revealed on closer inspection to be locked and deserted, a “for lease” notice posted to the door. The fortunate announce that they’ve moved to a new location. The less so have given up hope and just want out: “2 years free rent!!!” is a poster you’ll see in many windows.

Still there are holdouts: a tenacious barber shop, a dry-cleaner that must get some work from upstairs. And yet even the apparently indefatigable show the hallmarks of defeat. “Back in five minutes” signs abound. There are so many of them, on so many different storefronts, and for such endless lengths of time, that any prospective shopper who wanders in would think they’d arrived during a kind of mall-wide siesta.

http://news.national...e-shops-at-aura

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#107 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

I find it interesting that businesses will move into the latest new mall thinking that their profits will increase.

In most cases all they are doing is paying more rent, and next thing you find out is that the customers move on as well.

People flocked to UPTOWN when it first opened only to find a street of empty storefronts. How long before those shoppers returned?

#108 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

I find it interesting that businesses will move into the latest new mall thinking that their profits will increase.

In most cases all they are doing is paying more rent, and next thing you find out is that the customers move on as well.

People flocked to UPTOWN when it first opened only to find a street of empty storefronts. How long before those shoppers returned?

Just came back from Hillside Mall and found that a large portion of the new addition is still boarded up, and the stores that are open have less than few customers.

#109 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

Just came back from Hillside Mall and found that a large portion of the new addition is still boarded up, and the stores that are open have less than few customers.

I do find walking through the new wing to be something of a ghost town experience. Surprised those storefronts haven't filled sooner.

#110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

Tsawwassen Mills shoppers trapped for up to 4 hours in parking lot chaos (PHOTOS) - Daily Hive Vancouver

The parking lot traffic at Tsawwassen Mills was at a complete standstill for much of Saturday, to the extent that drivers were stuck in their cars for up to four hours trying to get out of the shopping centre’s exits.

Angry shoppers waited for so long that some gave up on following traffic and made their own make-shift exits by driving on the grass and flower beds to get out of the mall. Among the many comments posted on social media, some even claimed that they were running out of gas waiting in the gridlock.

The 6,000-car capacity parking lot was so congested that there was a one-hour period when her vehicle only moved about 10 feet.

By the time she escaped the parking lot, it was approximately 4 pm and there was still a two-kilometre-long line of vehicles on Highway 17 to get through one of the shopping centre’s two entrances.

#111 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:44 PM

need more bike lanes and less car lanes, any victoria politician will tell you that'll solve the congestion

• sebberry likes this

#112 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:04 PM

need more bike lanes and less car lanes, any victoria politician will tell you that'll solve the congestion

The ferry terminal will need a dedicated stretch of road around the congestion, otherwise we will hear the screaming from here.

#113 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:44 AM

Why is there parking for 6,000 cars?  I thought everyone got around by bike or foot these days. 

• Bingo likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:23 AM

It's actually parking for 60,000 bicycles.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#115 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

Today's lineup to get into the mall?  2KM

http://dailyhive.com...-traffic-photos

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#116 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:31 PM

I visited the Tsawwassen Mills mall this weekend.

The Bass Pro shops is a destination in itself.  The store is gigantic.  You could spend a few hours just wandering every aisle. They have their own attached restaurant too.  

If you like shoes, this is the mall for you.  The DSW is 2 to 3 times larger than the one in Victoria.  They have Saks off 5th ave that is half shoes too.  

I had no problems with finding parking, but leaving the place was chaos.  I would recommend going early in the morning if you can.

#117 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

On the news they were saying the traffic problem was caused by all the people leaving when the mall closed. Who stays at a mall all day? Sheesh.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:37 PM

Friend of a friend ran out of gas waiting to leave on Saturday I just found out, too funny.

Jammed up a line of traffic too.

They could not get around his stall.

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

On the news they were saying the traffic problem was caused by all the people leaving when the mall closed. Who stays at a mall all day? Sheesh.

I heard they had 50,000 there.  With 6,000 parking stalls.  So if they turned that 4+ times not bad.  2 to a car etc.

#120 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

I visited the Tsawwassen Mills mall this weekend.

The Bass Pro shops is a destination in itself.  The store is gigantic.  You could spend a few hours just wandering every aisle. They have their own attached restaurant too.  

The only thing I would be looking for in that store would be the duck, goose, and turkey calls.

A little late to be calling them for this thanksgiving, but I will practice up for next year.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users