BUILT
Hudson Place One
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 777 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 25
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Hudson Place One is a 25-storey, 176-suite mixed-use condominium tower with ground floor commercial space at d... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson Place One on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hudson Place One | Condos; commercial | 25-storeys | Built - Completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
1676 replies to this topic

#301 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

I call bs on that, "owing" something to a corporation because their past projects went well.  I'd say it gives them more credibility, but the city owes them absolutely nothing.

While I am hardly the champion of the corporate cause, I strongly feel that Townline has proven itself worthy of the city's faith that it will produce positive, long-term results for the CoV. The city may not owe Townline anything, but it should be damn thankful this corporation was willing to take a chance on of a part of the city that was stagnant, if not actually decaying after the Hudson Bay left its historic location. 

• 2F2R likes this

#302 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

Sure.  And I'm thankful as well.

#303 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

Oh I agree, that City owes Townline nothing but praise, respect and due process.

But this talk of a corporation etc. etc., that's kinda backwards. Let's get with the program here. Townline invested hundreds of millions of dollars into downtown Victoria and we're all collectively better off as a society because of it. Angling for an Us vs. Them scenario is not helpful here.

Remember, the Mayor of Victoria wept when she approved the Jawl's 1515 Douglas concept, that's how happy she was to be in the hot seat when decision day came. So the hostility towards Townline and the 'we owe them nothing' narrative is perhaps a little bit misplaced.

• Nparker and cathawk like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#304 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Hey, I have no problem with it, I'm just telling you why it's not going to be a slam dunk. 

If it is, then Dave Chard, Leonard Cole and the rest are gonna cry, "where's my extra storeys?"

#305 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

I call bs on that, "owing" something to a corporation because their past projects went well.  I'd say it gives them more credibility, but the city owes them absolutely nothing.

C'mon nagel...This is the City of Victoria we are talking about, not some all powerful being! Townline is a local property owner, employer and taxpayer. What the city owes Townline and the rest of us is that they exercise their powers legally, efficiently and reasonably! If Townline comes forward with a good proposal, it's in the city's best interests that things move forward as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I'll be surprised if there is significant public push back to the remaining two Hudson towers, and even then, this Council has shown that they won't necessarily yield to unreasonable public opposition.

And yes, I think there is value in the goodwill Townline has built over the years. They took a big risk on the original Hudson project, which almost went horribly sideways, and they have built the region's three biggest rental buildings in the last 30 some-odd years. You can bet there is value in that.

• aastra and grantpalin like this

#306 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

Townline has also stepped up to the plate with TL Housing Solutions, which has essentially allowed Pacifica to bring hundreds of affordable housing units online with hundreds more in planning.
  • Nparker and 2F2R like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#307 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

Hey, I have no problem with it, I'm just telling you why it's not going to be a slam dunk.

Absolutely. The City will still want the public to weigh in on this.

And the decision to support an alteration to the already approved plans won't be without due process and deep reflection from councillors. It is they who are ultimately the gatekeepers, and their term will be remembered for this building.

Know it all.

#308 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

... I think even the City of Victoria is ready for something forward thinking and different...

The CHEK News poll does not entirely support your hypothesis:

Capture.JPG

I have to ask. What character are we protecting?

#309 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

Oh, CHEK...

They just don't get it.

Know it all.

#310 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

Oh, CHEK...They just don't get it.

Like most polls, it had some loaded options.  :whyme:

#311 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

And yes, I think there is value in the goodwill Townline has built over the years. They took a big risk on the original Hudson project, which almost went horribly sideways, and they have built the region's three biggest rental buildings in the last 30 some-odd years. You can bet there is value in that.

PLUS, if there is any rental component in the remaining two towers, that is an even bigger bonus in Townline's favour. How could the City say with a straight face that it rejected reasonable and much needed rental housing?

#312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

PLUS, if there is any rental component in the remaining two towers, that is an even bigger bonus in Townline's favour. How could the City say with a straight face that it rejected reasonable and much needed rental housing?

Even if they are all built as condos, there is a very strong likelihood that a good percentage of those will be rented out by their owners. Either way, the project will add much needed housing to a market in desperate need of more supply.

• 2F2R and jonny like this

#313 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

I submit my usual boilerplate that there's no problem. Things are working. Stay the course. There's no need to make a drastic change in either direction. The modern height restrictions have worked out well. The scale of the old town has been preserved. 21st-century Victoria has a unique skyline with the tallest modern buildings set well back from the inner harbour and historic areas. Developers have cooperated. Quality buildings are being built despite the restrictions. Downtown Victoria is going to get comfortably (but not excessively) dense in 10-20 years if the process is just allowed to continue. It's working. Stay the course.

If you have a fetish for taller stuff (or for preventing taller stuff) then I'd say north downtown and the roundhouse and Dockside Green are where the focus should be.

• grantpalin and cathawk like this

#314 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

....If you have a fetish for taller stuff (or for preventing taller stuff) then I'd say north downtown and the roundhouse and Dockside Green are where the focus should be.

I think the Hudson district is precisely where and now is precisely when the arbitrary and unnecessary height restrictions can and should be broken. 

And if by "unique skyline" you mean one that from even a short distance is almost entirely flat and unmodulated, then please give me some of the "sameness" that other cities have.

• 2F2R and grantpalin like this

#315 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Per the T-C (bottom of this article) information sessions will be held this Wednesday. The article also has initial thoughts from Councillor Thornton-Joe: http://www.timescolo...oria-1.13690770

#316 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

This is exactly where this density should go.... they should absolutely allow it BUT only if they ban vacation rentals....
  • Nparker, jonny, sdwright.vic and 1 other like this

#317 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

Here's some info to consider.

The density on this site is approved at 7.47, quite a significant amount of density for Victoria. And Townline earned it, they put forth considerable amenity contributions already, which also gave us a Hudson's Bay restoration. To make this project work sensibly, and that's key, is to go higher. Townline has opted to sit on their approved density until the market made their plans viable, and that time is now.
  • Nparker and grantpalin like this

Know it all.

#318 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

There is no reason not to approve this. It needs to be here and not in Langford.... No in in Old Town. No in James Bay. No in Fairfield. Yes here.... 

• Mike K. and jonny like this

#319 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

I'll bite. Why there?

#320 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

I'll bite. Why there?

https://www.google.c...9,18z/data=!1e3

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users