Movies!

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#481 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,293 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 03:19 PM

After the 33% drop in its fourth weekend, The Way of Water’s cume is now $517 million domestic and $1.708 billion worldwide, making it the seventh-biggest global grosser of all time. The domestic total puts it ahead of Top Gun: Maverick’s $467 million cume at the same point in its release, though TWOW’s holiday season release gives it a different trajectory. This weekend, however, improves TWOW’s odds of holding its lead. 

https://www.boxoffic.../?ref_=bo_hm_hp

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2023 - 03:19 PM.

#482 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 08:17 AM

I thought cume refers to the size of the audience, not the earnings? But they’re using it to describe monetary activity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#483 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,293 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 08:20 AM

I thought cume refers to the size of the audience, not the earnings? But they’re using it to describe monetary activity.

Cumulative monetary earnings.

But yes it's used for TV and radio or even newspaper ratings the way you describe.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 January 2023 - 08:22 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#484 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,293 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:04 PM

According to VarietyAvatar: The Way of Water has now become the 7th highest-grossing film of all time, taking down Jurassic World for the position after reaching a total of $1.7 billion in its fourth weekend. The film now has its sights set on Spider-Man: No Way Home, which is the 6th highest-grossing film of all time with a haul of $1.9 billion. Disney likely won't be too chuffed if Avatar 2 overtakes the Marvel Studios film because it also owns the rights to the Avatar film series.

https://gamerant.com...-film-all-time/

https://www.boxoffic...&ref_=bo_cso_ac

screenshot-www.boxofficemojo.com-2023.01.10-15_05_50.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 January 2023 - 12:06 PM.

#485 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,359 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 January 2023 - 07:46 PM

Disney should be happy actually. Spiderman is a Sony property. NWH is produced by Marvel but is far more a Sony property than Disney.

#486 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,293 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:56 AM

Disney employees must return to the office at least four days a week, CEO Bob Iger said in a company-wide email this week.

"As I've been meeting with teams throughout the company over the past few months, I've been reminded of the tremendous value in being together with the people you work with," Iger said, according to a memo obtained by CNBC.

"As you've heard me say many times, creativity is the heart and soul of who we are and what we do at Disney. And in a creative business like ours, nothing can replace the ability to connect, observe, and create with peers that comes from being physically together, nor the opportunity to grow professionally by learning from leaders and mentors," he said.

https://www.npr.org/...m_medium=social

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 January 2023 - 08:56 AM.

#487 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,293 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 05:47 AM

‘Avatar: The Way of Water‘ Surpasses ’Spider-Man: No Way Home’ as Sixth-Biggest Film of All Time With $1.92 Billion

https://variety.com/...ilm-1235490031/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2023 - 05:47 AM.

#488 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,293 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:35 PM

Actor Jeremy Renner says he broke more than 30 bones in a snowplow accident on New Year's Day.

Renner, 52, said earlier that he is recovering at home from what Nevada authorities say were serious chest injuries he suffered when he was run over by his Pistenbully snow groomer while helping free a relative's car on a private road near Lake Tahoe.

In social media posts Saturday, Renner expressed "much love and appreciation" to people for their "messages and thoughtfulness."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...bones-1.6722214

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2023 - 04:35 PM.

#489 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,614 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:48 PM

Saw Avatar with my son yesterday. Was pretty good. Insane CGI. The hair, texture, lighting are nearly indistinguishable from real. Good enough to not distract from a decent Sci-Fi flick.

#490 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 09:28 PM

Are theatres busy these days?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#491 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,614 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 12:06 AM

Had my son’s birthday at the board game cafe today. That was smokin busy. All but two tables full.

#492 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 09:43 AM

Great! It’s a neat business. Another one on the West Shore would do real well.

On vacation over New Years we pulled out Ticket to Ride, which is a railroad building strategy board game. It sounds hokey, and it has a little bit of a learning curve, but it’s such a great game once you get going.

Know it all.

#493 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,614 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 10:58 AM

That’s what they played actually.
  • Mike K. likes this

#494 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,359 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 January 2023 - 03:48 PM

I think we have 9 different versions of Ticket to Ride on our shelf :)
  • Mike K. likes this

#495 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,614 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 04:15 PM

It’s a good game.

#496 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,293 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 04:20 PM

Time it took to reach $2 billion at the box office:

Titanic:                    5,233 days

Force Awakens:          54 days

Infinity War:                 48 days

Avatar:                          47 days

Avatar 2:                       37 days

Endgame:                      11 days

Avatar: The Way of Water’ Becomes Sixth Film in History to Surpass $2 Billion Globally

https://variety.com/...ice-1235498281/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 January 2023 - 04:21 PM.

#497 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 22 January 2023 - 07:28 PM

Disney employees must return to the office at least four days a week, CEO Bob Iger said in a company-wide email this week.

"As I've been meeting with teams throughout the company over the past few months, I've been reminded of the tremendous value in being together with the people you work with," Iger said, according to a memo obtained by CNBC.

"As you've heard me say many times, creativity is the heart and soul of who we are and what we do at Disney. And in a creative business like ours, nothing can replace the ability to connect, observe, and create with peers that comes from being physically together, nor the opportunity to grow professionally by learning from leaders and mentors," he said.

https://www.npr.org/...m_medium=social

It might also be anything an employee creates, doodles, or have ideas of while they are in the studio on Disney time or personal becomes the property of Disney.

I was told years ago this was part of their contract if you wanted to work for them.

I had my doubts at the time but one never knows.

#498 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,293 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 10:26 AM

Watched The Menu.  Not bad, I guess.

#499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,293 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 04:28 PM

Avatar: The Way of Water is continuing its march through the upper reaches of the all-time takings charts as it becomes the sixth film to break the $2bn mark in worldwide box-office receipts.

According to Deadline, the Avatar sequel directed by James Cameron reached a total of $2.024bn on Sunday, meaning that it is now ahead of Spider-Man: No Way Home and Jurassic World on the list of highest grossing films.

Deadline predicts that it will overtake the next two films, Avengers: Infinity War and Star Wars: The Force Awakens later this week to reach No 4.

https://www.theguard...e-james-cameron

This will mean Cameron will have directed three of the top four films of all time, with the first Avatar film at No 1 with $2.9bn, and Titanic at No 3 with $2.2bn. Only Avengers: Endgame, at No 2 with $2.8bn, interrupts the sequence.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 January 2023 - 04:29 PM.

#500 LJ

LJ
  • 12,766 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 07:42 PM

Watched Devotion the other day, first time I had fallen asleep while watching a movie.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users