Greater Victoria Public Library and south Island libraries

• Please log in to reply
670 replies to this topic

#501 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,949 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:33 AM

i would not even be so critical if we had cut back funding over 120 days.  but we will pay the same amount as usual in taxes to support almost no service.

• jsan likes this

#502 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:06 AM

The library is a relatively small portion of our tax bill and most of its expenses are salaries and content acquisition which presumably has continued so I don't know where you think you'd see notable cost savings.

• Taj and johnk2 like this

#503 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:18 AM

There’ll be a loss in revenues with three months of no late fees.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#504 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:36 AM

I spoke with some of my former library colleagues last week. The logistics are huge and as there are only so many people allowed in the building at once, it's been quite a large task. Those that were called back to work were very happy, and those that weren't can't wait but only limited staff can work at any given time. There was a lot of stuff to be moved in preparation including a lot of computer terminals, which had to be set up in other locations.

Edited by mbjj, 29 June 2020 - 07:40 AM.

• Victoria Watcher and johnk2 like this

#505 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:45 AM

in the private sector stores have been open for weeks - or never closed 

All stores I've been to since things started shutting down have "no returns" policy. Unless the library is going to just lend stuff out indefinitely they aren't really comparable to retail. 

• Taj likes this

#506 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

All stores I've been to since things started shutting down have "no returns" policy. Unless the library is going to just lend stuff out indefinitely they aren't really comparable to retail. 

well i think that a quarantine was easily imposed on returned materials.  it's not like food (store) items that might be perishable.  and it's not like the library is short of storage space.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 June 2020 - 08:00 AM.

#507 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:36 AM

well i think that a quarantine was easily imposed on returned materials.  it's not like food (store) items that might be perishable.  and it's not like the library is short of storage space.

They will have to manage the return of items gradually - a trickle, rather than a flood.  I know people involved in the library system, and there are over 100,000 items currently checked out.  If all of those items were returned in a short amount of time, they would find themselves running out of space very quickly, particularly when one considers that they have to quarantine the returns and prep books for pickup.  

During normal times, there is a fairly steady flow of material in and out, so it balances.  The balance has been thrown off.  They will certainly be short on space.

Edited by Taj, 29 June 2020 - 11:37 AM.

• mbjj, Midnightly and johnk2 like this

#508 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:53 PM

i do think there also needs to be a consideration of how complex our library system is, with 12 branches serving the crd, books circulate through all the branches (returned at any branch then has to get transferred back to it's home branch or sent to a branch for pick up)  it's very much a moving network some libraries do offer more space to allow books to quarantine before going back into circulation and some don't and i can easily see the system being overwhelmed.. this is also a huge learning curve for the staff to adjust to

• mbjj and Taj like this

#509 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:53 AM

i do think there also needs to be a consideration of how complex our library system is, with 12 branches serving the crd, books circulate through all the branches (returned at any branch then has to get transferred back to it's home branch or sent to a branch for pick up)  it's very much a moving network some libraries do offer more space to allow books to quarantine before going back into circulation and some don't and i can easily see the system being overwhelmed.. this is also a huge learning curve for the staff to adjust to

i'm not asking for all services to come back or be near normal.  but it's been nearly 120 days and they is barely any level of service.  or signs of what they have been doing to get ready for more service. 

pick it up.

#510 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:57 AM

I think it's important to remember that not all preparations for return-to-service are visible to the public.  I work in a library system, albeit not the GVPL one, and we have been working extremely hard behind the scenes to get things in place.  There are a lot of WorkSafe conditions that need to be met, and everything from increased signage to brand-new workflows for staff need to be established, essentially from scratch.  It has been quite overwhelming.   

Edited by Taj, 30 June 2020 - 08:59 AM.

• Nparker, mbjj and johnk2 like this

#511 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:01 PM

The number of touch points in a library is huge. I know after only a couple of hours of work, my hands were black from everyone else's grime.

• johnk2 likes this

#512 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:08 PM

but no worse than a transit service. that never closed or reduced service.

i’m not trying to be down on the library system more than anywhere else.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 June 2020 - 03:10 PM.

#513 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:39 PM

but no worse than a transit service. that never closed or reduced service...

How many parts of the transit service do people take home with them to contaminate then bring back to contaminate others? Libraries have been closed to protect their patrons, but also to protect staff. It's not possible to isolate library employees in the same manner as bus drivers. Making sure each library facility is clean for patrons and staff is also a great deal different than cleaning a bus. I am not sure this analogy works too well.

• Redd42 and Taj like this

#514 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:44 PM

I’m talking about touch points. far more on transit than a digital-order-only library.

I understand. everyone wants to criticize me for being a bit tough on libraries. I still think most of the criticism is valid.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 June 2020 - 03:47 PM.

#515 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:21 AM

The time has come for Juan de Fuca Library users to begin borrowing books again.

On July 18, in-person services will once again be offered at the branch in Colwood at a limited capacity. Some of the services offered include pick-up for items on hold, returns, browsing a small collection for borrowing and upgrading online library cards. There will also be a grab-and-go table outside the branch for people to pick up a B.C. Summer Reading Club starter kit and Books for Babies bags.

https://www.vicnews....ic-use-july-18/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 July 2020 - 04:25 AM.

#516 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:06 PM

The time has come for Juan de Fuca Library users to begin borrowing books again.

On July 18, in-person services will once again be offered at the branch in Colwood at a limited capacity. Some of the services offered include pick-up for items on hold, returns, browsing a small collection for borrowing and upgrading online library cards. There will also be a grab-and-go table outside the branch for people to pick up a B.C. Summer Reading Club starter kit and Books for Babies bags.

https://www.vicnews....ic-use-july-18/

That article says 

The Saanich Centennial Branch and the Central Saanich Branch will also resume services “no later than” July 24.

but GVPL site says that Saanich Centennial is July 22 and Central Saanich is July 24 with no "no later than" so I'm curious why they wrote it like that https://www.gvpl.ca/...branches-hours/

#517 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:08 PM

Also is this the first time Saanich Centennial is open to the public since the water main burst? I know they were about to open but I can't remember if COVID shut the libraries down before that or not.

#518 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:14 PM

According to their site Oak Bay opened today, Bruce Hutchison opens the 18th and James Bay the 25th so looks like they're opening 3 branches a month.

#519 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:16 AM

Also is this the first time Saanich Centennial is open to the public since the water main burst? I know they were about to open but I can't remember if COVID shut the libraries down before that or not.

Yes I think this is the first time they are opening since that incident.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#520 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 09:31 AM

but no worse than a transit service. that never closed or reduced service.

i’m not trying to be down on the library system more than anywhere else.

It only seems that way.

You've tried to make your point by comparing it to retail, then to transit. What next, comparing it to the military?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users