Greater Victoria Public Library and south Island libraries

• Please log in to reply
672 replies to this topic

#541 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:45 AM

VIRL statement on services. VIRL operates the Sooke, Sidney and Renfrew branches.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 – This is a big week in the resumption of services at Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL). Staff across the system have been hard at work prepping their branches to welcome customers inside, and the vast majority are slated to open this week for limited in-branch service. Reflecting the unique aspects of their branch layouts and the communities they serve, some branches will offer Walkthrough service of a limited collection, while others will open their entire collection, offer a Sit Down service, and provide public computer access.

“The openings we’re seeing this week are a direct result of the hard work, dedication, and resilience our staff have demonstrated despite the challenges the pandemic has created,” says Melissa Legacy, VIRL’s Director of Library Services and Planning. “The phased approach we’ve taken, starting with Takeout, has allowed us to safely bring more services on board, develop best practices as we go, and ensure we are responding to the needs of our communities. I would like to thank all of the branch staff for bringing us to this important milestone.”

For everyone’s safety, customers are asked to adhere to all posted safety information and the directives of staff, including limiting the number of people allowed inside at a time and maintaining a proper physical distance. All customers are encouraged to wear masks when visiting the library.

Customers must have their library cards with them and use the self-checkout machines, when available. Branches will continue to offer Takeout services for those who would prefer to use this service. VIRL will continue to waive all late fees but asks that customers return and renew materials per due dates to ensure everyone has equal opportunity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#542 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:58 AM

IDK if this was mentioned previously, but the former Emily Carr branch has been painted blue and gained signage indicating Saanich Engineering.

• Mike K. likes this

#543 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,052 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 06:21 AM

so for 10 months now the library has not provided computer access. which is likely its most popular in-person service.

and the most help to the poor and job-seekers.

that’s pretty awful. it’s very clear that library staff and administrators are not “in this together” with us.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 December 2020 - 06:23 AM.

#544 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:03 AM

So what would you do, reduce the number of computers and have someone spray them down between uses?

#545 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:22 AM

So what would you do, reduce the number of computers and have someone spray them down between uses?

Why not? The staff don’t seem to be too busy when I’ve been in the Library.

#546 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:42 AM

The GVPL's response to the pandemic has been incredibly poor.

#547 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:55 AM

The computer terminals have always been popular and busy. The risk is if you cut the number of computers by 75% or whatever then you suddenly have a large number of impatient people waiting around. 

But I can understand the frustration. In the late 90s I didn't have a computer and relied on the library computers for all my needs. I can't imagine having it taken away.

#548 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:12 AM

I'm sure that most people have a smart phone or even a tablet, which all have wi-fi.   You can get free wi-fi almost everywhere now.   They were even giving away free smartphones to homeless and lower income people earlier this year.  You can even use these without a plan to surf the internet and use email with the wi-fi.  

Edited by UDeMan, 05 December 2020 - 10:13 AM.

#549 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:34 AM

YEs. or hand out more chrome books like they do in other libraries. then they can be quarantined between use. not that we have shown surfaces to be a spread vector.
  • Nparker likes this

#550 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:36 AM

I'm sure that most people have a smart phone or even a tablet, which all have wi-fi. You can get free wi-fi almost everywhere now. They were even giving away free smartphones to homeless and lower income people earlier this year. You can even use these without a plan to surf the internet and use email with the wi-fi.

you wound think so but the terminals are still popular. I don’t think everyone is gaming on them. you might be hard pressed to build your resume on your smart phone and hope the formatting works.

#551 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:49 AM

^Both good suggestions. Obviously most people have smartphones but still, up till March there were easily 50 people using the library computers all day long for all sorts of reasons so there is a clear and consistent demand. 

#552 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:14 PM

...up till March there were easily 50 people using the library computers all day long for all sorts of reasons so there is a clear and consistent demand. 

And the GVPL has had 9 months to figure out to make computing services both accessible and safe.

#553 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:01 PM

The computer terminals have always been popular and busy. The risk is if you cut the number of computers by 75% or whatever then you suddenly have a large number of impatient people waiting around. 

But I can understand the frustration. In the late 90s I didn't have a computer and relied on the library computers for all my needs. I can't imagine having it taken away.

Those computer labs have helped a lot of people over the years.  When I moved back to Victoria in 2003, I remember typing up my CV in a computer room at one of the GVPL libraries.  The room had a sign on it that said: "This room made possible through a donation of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation" (or something similar). That led to me getting a job on the part-time call out list for the Commissionaires.  Eventually I got a spot working full-time as a Commissionaire in the jail at VicPD.  Two years later, the department hired me as a police officer.  

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#554 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:43 PM

Yes, I admit I even used these computer terminals at the library at lunch during work days, since my computer at work blocks personal email websites, youtube, and even CNN and other news websites.  It is also nice to be in a dry, warm place.

But technology is much different now than even 10 years ago.  That smartphone or tablet is more powerful than many home personal computers. Partnered with a wi-fi connection you can pretty much do anything.  

#555 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:21 PM

Computers at the library have always been well used. The same people would be in there every day using them. I don't know what the answer is. I really miss the magazines.

My former coworker, one of the auxiliary, pages, still has not been working, yet I hear librarians are doing page chores because they're bored. She was checking out jobs online and said the majority were in the poverty industry. 

#556 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 03:01 PM

...My former coworker, one of the auxiliary, pages, still has not been working...

A friend of mine who has worked for the GVPL since 1975 only got called back to a part-time position this week.

• mbjj and Victoria Watcher like this

#557 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:26 AM

Oh wow, well that's good news for them. I still think the library could be doing more. 

• Nparker likes this

#558 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:58 PM

Currently in Calgary, the local library has 9 socially distanced PCs available with just 4 in use when I was there today. The library is open 7 days a week including 9am-9pm on 4 days. Oops, Kenney just shut them all down for 28 days starting Sunday.
  • Mike K. likes this

#559 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 06:54 AM

And she has big plans for her final two years in office, including launching a business hub for marine companies and rezoning for a new arts and innovation district. She also wants to see an Island-wide climate action plan adopted and a plan for a new Central Library. “Probably not under construction,” she said, “but at least some surety that we will have a new or greatly refurbished Central Library.”

https://www.timescol...d-19-1.24261172

can't they at least finish up the crystal pool - one way or another - first?

#560 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:16 AM

How about the downtown light timing? The consultant was hired in 2018.

And does the bridge have fendering yet?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users