Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#2861 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

I have a question I'd like some help with.
There has been a truck blocking half a lane of a busy street in Saanich all morning .
After seeing two near misses one with a bus and a taxi.
I called non emergency saanich police .
Why ,oh why do I have to give so much info about myself .
This truck is blocking the only lane south .
Really how does my birthdays and address have anything to do with it .
It's been there all morning I even gave a plate number.
Makes me not want to get involved and just let people smash
up head on as its on a hill and it's hard to see around it .
  • Nparker and rjag like this

#2862 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

Makes me not want to get involved and just let people smash
up head on as its on a hill and it's hard to see around it .

All police recruits need to go to see Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump as part of their traffic accident training,

#2863 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

The truck was parked in a driving lane uphill for 5 hours .
Through the morning snow until now after 3 .
Cops just had the guy move it .
Cars beeping as they couldn't see around it before pulling into the other lane.
The street is always busy bloody dangerous.
Why oh why do you need all my personal info .for this .

#2864 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

When I call the non-emerg line for something, I just give them a fake name, address, birthdate etc.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2865 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

I just want to report some positive news here today. This morning I drove downtown for a lunch meeting at 11:30, I went first to View St parkade and it said there were 9 spots. I took a chance and drove in to the underground and sure enough a rock star parking spot right on the ground floor!!!! :banana:  :thumbsup:

I honestly felt like calling it in to the radio stations! 

• Mike K. and Bingo like this

#2866 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

When I call the non-emerg line for something, I just give them a fake name, address, birthdate etc.

Why waste your breath. Its not mandatory I don't have time to lie and make up crap I just tell them I'm not supplying that info . they already know who your are anyway from your phone number.

#2867 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Why waste your breath. Its not mandatory I don't have time to lie and make up crap I just tell them I'm not supplying that info . they already know who your are anyway from your phone number.

Ya, you might be right.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2868 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:22 PM

even if yu call 911 for an emergency one is not required to give personal info they still need to act on the call.

I did an anonymous (to non emergency line) call about 2 years ago maybe 3 years ago about things I found that I was certain were related to a murder the day before.

Gave them the info they need about where to find it.

Sure enough I get contacted a few days later by the po-po they knew who I was where I lived and so on just form my anonymous call .

Anyway what was found was indeed related to an event

So even if you think they dodnt have call display they do.

Thats why I am not so sure about crime stoppers being to anonymous for callers  ...everything is traceable..if it needs to be

people have been busted by taking photos with their iphones not knowing that every iphone photos has a GPS location attached to it so if the photo is sent via email or text the location of the photograph location goes with it

#2869 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

They ask for your birth date so that they know exactly who you are then the call details or event you are calling about is entered into the BC Prime system.under your name ..and it is there forever.

#2870 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

Sure enough I get contacted a few days later by the po-po they knew who I was where I lived and so on just form my anonymous call.

VicPD called me once about a post on this site.  Derived my name from my nickname here and figured out my number.

people have been busted by taking photos with their iphones not knowing that every iphone photos has a GPS location attached to it so if the photo is sent via email or text the location of the photograph location goes with it

Good reminder to disable geotagging if you plan on taking pictures of your handiwork.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2871 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

This might be New News,

Robbins is going to an app-based payment plan for their parking lots.  It's called HONK

Honk_ParkPay.jpg

#2872 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Do you need a mobile phone, or can you just honk your horn to the correct Morse Code digits?

• Baro and Nparker like this

#2873 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

in that case above you honk your horn 64 Times

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2874 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

You know there's a parking problem in the city. When a city of victoria car parks illegally. Which is just as bad. The guy never got a ticket.

17021971_1981466408749619_50241684333076

#2875 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzLT6hOk4g8

#2876 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

17021971_1981466408749619_50241684333076

City Vehicles are exempt.. Police,Fire,Garbage Trucks,Utility Vehicle and those cars.

they can not give themselves tickets. Being pretty dumb to pay money from the city coffers to the city coffers

#2877 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

Of course they are exempt, it would be silly to ticket them.   But the yellow curb is there for a reason, safety.   And whatever this City employee is doing should not override the need for safety here.  

#2878 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

Story coming soon.  A paid park-and-ride is coming to Douglas and Frances, the old Metro lot.  soe type of a deal between the City and/or DVBA, BCT and Robbins, and Pattison.  Opens April 1st.  First month free.

#2879 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Ok, right on. Good working getting the details sorts, VHF.

Park-and-ride near Mayfair mall to help quell downtown parking shortage

http://victoria.citi...rking-shortage/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2880 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

Why call it a park and ride.

Its a paid parking lot run by what I call a criminal organization.

No need to glorify it and dress it up.

http://youtu.be/r8hP9-qnAxk

its also not going to ease up anything downtown. people who drive cars want to park and then get out and walk to their destination they dont want to take a bus.

Edited by HB, 10 March 2017 - 06:27 PM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users