Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4341 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:11 AM

All I am saying is that the strategies that worked in the past to create "turnover" in parking make not work the same way going forward.

Oh I think they will, there will just be less vehicles to deal with and we have to be cognizant of that.  Parking in the 90 min spots downtown last week was up to 91% of the previous year and we are seeing almost 30% of those spaces being used for longer than 5 hours.  Moving back to the 90 limit will allow those parking for short periods will now be able to find spaces on the street for those short visits.  Having some all day parkers shift from Yates parkade, where we are starting to get full in the middle of the day, to under the Library where we have much availability and two exits will again help visitors and shoppers downtown.  Our intent is to help downtown recover and become vibrant again.  We'll get there...

#4342 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:26 AM

Well those parkades (Yates and Centennial) are filling, so the intent is to shift where some people park.  Same thing with the 90 minute zones.

Thanks for the update. I think that trying to change behaviour to match availability makes sense.

One thing I didn't read in the report was any discussion on monthly permits. How have the sale of those permits been impacted by Covid-19?

Mu anecdotal observation is that office use (lots of monthly permits) remains at about 20% of 'normal' while retail use (mostly short term) is being supported by more people driving downtown instead of taking the bus. 

Edited by spanky123, 12 June 2020 - 10:27 AM.

#4343 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the update. I think that trying to change behaviour to match availability makes sense.

One thing I didn't read in the report was any discussion on monthly permits. How have the sale of those permits been impacted by Covid-19?

Mu anecdotal observation is that office use (lots of monthly permits) remains at about 20% of 'normal' while retail use (mostly short term) is being supported by more people driving downtown instead of taking the bus. 

We haven't sold a new monthly permit in a few years.  The current monthly pass holders are paying a rate of $85 or they have put their account on hold.  Monthly passes will return to regular rates as we move forward.

#4344 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:46 AM

that’s pretty generous, a free “hold” program. you don’t get that with Robbins.

#4345 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 02:25 PM

We haven't sold a new monthly permit in a few years.  The current monthly pass holders are paying a rate of $85 or they have put their account on hold.  Monthly passes will return to regular rates as we move forward.

Sorry what I meant to ask was monthly pass usage.

#4346 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 02:42 PM

Sorry what I meant to ask was monthly pass usage.

Around 65% use...

#4347 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:45 PM

Around 65% use...

So on average monthly pass use has declined less than day use (average day use being about 47% of normal) or are you referring only to the Yates St parkade?

#4348 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:13 AM

can anyone post a link to the announcement of the change in parking from $5 to $9 for certain parkades.  the Victoria.ca parking section does not show any updates.

This is the last update

Downtown Parking During Pandemic

The City has established a reduced parking fee structure to help support people who still need to come downtown to park. Rates in City parkades are reduced to a maximum of $5 per day and on-street parking rates are $1 per hour, with no time limits except for 30-minute zones. This fee structure will

Edited by UDeMan, 15 June 2020 - 11:14 AM.

#4349 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:18 AM

It's just the one parkade, Yates Street, that will see rates rise to $9 from $5. That hasn't happened yet, I don't think. The suggested increase was presented to council on Thursday.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4350 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 12:39 PM

It's just the one parkade, Yates Street, that will see rates rise to $9 from $5. That hasn't happened yet, I don't think. The suggested increase was presented to council on Thursday.

Centennial Parkade was added late during that.  Both those parkades do not have a limit however $9 is the most you can pay if you parkade from 8am to 6pm or later.  It has started today.  Changes to the on-street spaces will take place later this week.

#4351 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 12:59 PM

So on average monthly pass use has declined less than day use (average day use being about 47% of normal) or are you referring only to the Yates St parkade?

Yeah you could say that.  Not a lot of value in that comparison, I mean the day use averages are mostly based on shoppers and users of downtown so that number was affected much more than commuter numbers.  People still came downtown to work but shopping etc. not so much.

#4352 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:03 PM

Speaking of last minute changes to agendas...

Why was Centennial added? It wasn’t even mentioned in the original staff report.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4353 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:08 PM

Speaking of last minute changes to agendas...

Why was Centennial added? It wasn’t even mentioned in the original staff report.

That week we noticed Centennial filling up so for the same reason as the Yates parkade it was included.  CRD employees came back and I suppose they wanted to take advantage of the lower rates.  Johnson is another block and a half away and is still at $5.  The agenda did not change but a motion added to it.

#4354 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

Oh I see, that makes sense.

Gosh I wish we could get a sense of BC Transit ridership numbers and how they compare to pre-COVID.

Know it all.

#4355 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,755 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:15 PM

...I wish we could get a sense of BC Transit ridership numbers and how they compare to pre-COVID.

Anecdotally - ridership is down a lot.

#4356 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:29 PM

Gosh I wish we could get a sense of BC Transit ridership numbers and how they compare to pre-COVID.

they usually give comparative ridership numbers at the commission meetings with one scheduled for tomorrow so you may see that then.

actually just checked and they posted the materials. Page 5 compares 2020 and 2019 https://www.bctransi...s/1529709708459

Edited by Cats4Hire, 15 June 2020 - 02:30 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#4357 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

^ Interesting.  Pre-covid it seems ridership was flat from a growth perspective.  If anything, it looks like a slight decline in 2020.

#4358 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,046 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:07 AM

Paying a parking ticket is voluntary in Saanich.

While it remains an issue in many Saanich neighbourhoods, there is currently no consequences for unpaid parking tickets, meaning there’s no way to enforce compliance, said Coun. Ned Taylor, who is hoping to change the system.

He brought up the matter of voluntary parking penalties during the 2020 budget deliberations in March and again during the June 20 public hearing on unrelated occupancy limits. After voting to increase the number of unrelated people allowed to share a home from four to six, council looked at addressing a key concern raised by residents who opposed the move – parking.

https://www.vicnews....cement-process/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2020 - 04:07 AM.

#4359 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:54 AM

So today the restaurant association has announced food businesses in downtown Vancouver and Victoria are earning 20-30% of their pre-COVID revenues. So that makes me wonder, are the parking revenues we’re seeing really those of workers who’ve opted not to take the bus or use alternate transport to get to work, and are instead driving?

I feel as though we need the city to conduct a proper survey to assess office load levels. We ought to know these things.

Know it all.

#4360 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:24 AM

I feel as though we need the city to conduct a proper survey to assess office load levels. We ought to know these things.

Mike, thats the elephant in the room.

Jeff Bray with the DVBA and the Chamber know full well whats going on and so does the City. We are in full melt down mode and CoV fiddles while Victoria burns. Because they dont know what to do. There are 3 legs to the stool that supports the City, Tourism, Govt and residents. Take away 2 of those legs and here we are.

We know most of these govt buildings are empty or are running at skeleton crew levels. Heck even Lawyers and accountants are working from home or are in their office in a minor capacity with extremely limited physical contact with clients. Take all the tourists out the picture and 80% of office workers out for at least another 6 months and no amount of parklets is going to replace that revenue. Admittedly there are more folks living downtown but that doesn't account for the 40 odd thousand office workers that are MIA

Edited by rjag, 09 July 2020 - 07:25 AM.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Kungsberg like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users