174 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Construction will be staring soon.
Final permitting and securement of sub contrators is taking place now.

4 Levels total with roof top parking

This will be the first site in Vicotria with LED site lighting.

#63 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

A horrible waste of land...
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#64 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

This will be the first site in Vicotria with LED site lighting.

Do you mean City of Victoria or Victoria area? Because the new Fortis office in Langford has LED site lighting and I'm sure there's others too, just drawing a blank.

#65 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

A horrible waste of land...

How so? I think it's great that somebody bought this land and wants to convert it into a clean, modern, active, operating business from a derelict run down old building and parking lot.

Metro Toyota owns the land. This seems to be an appropriate area of town for a car dealership. It's along a major regional artery, there are other car dealers nearby, not to mention plenty of of other retail (shopping mall, Canadian Tire and auto parts stores). Seems like a reasonable use of land to me.

#66 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

It looks like the building itself is going to be a long way from the sidewalk, no? Methinks this project represented a good opportunity to start tightening things up again in that part of town, so I think I'm disappointed about that aspect.

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

It looks like the building itself is going to be a long way from the sidewalk, no? Methinks this project represented a good opportunity to start tightening things up again in that part of town, so I think I'm disappointed about that aspect.

It's a car dealership, your "window display" is your parking lot. That's how it's done.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

In many lots (but not all) in Victoria, yep.

#69 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

Not bad, but I don't think it contributes to the stated long term goal of the Mayfair area being an urban village.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Not bad, but I don't think it contributes to the stated long term goal of the Mayfair area being an urban village.

They should put condos on the roof, over that roof parking!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#71 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

They should put condos on the roof, over that roof parking!

This is exactly how I think this is a waste of land. It does not follow a vision. Its a boaring building!

#72 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

This is exactly how I think this is a waste of land. It does not follow a vision. Its a boaring building!

From an architectural standpoint, sure it's nothing special, but so are all of the other buildings around there...I'm sure Metro Toyota doesn't think it's boring!

#73 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Its a boaring building!

It could be argued that introducing fancy architecture in that part of town would be like casting pearls before swine. In any event, the new building is sure going to hog a lot of land.

#74 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

^lol
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#75 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

From an architectural standpoint, sure it's nothing special, but so are all of the other buildings around there...I'm sure Metro Toyota doesn't think it's boring!

Victoria
Settling for Mediocrity since 1850

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#76 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Victoria
Settling for Mediocrity since 1850

Right. Because Victoria is the only city in the world that has car dealerships.

#77 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

True... but this was / is an opportunity to change all that. Especially since we know the hotel next store is interested in redevelopment also (they where one of the players for the land- but how do you out bid Jim Patterson?) I think more of an attempt could of been done here like the all indoor dealership with condos above (of course not as high) that was built in Vancouver.

http://www.mikestewa...on-developments

#78 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Right. Because Victoria is the only city in the world that has car dealerships.

You miss my point. Beautiful, sophisticated urban car dealerships have been discussed on this forum before. For example, Berlin's dealerships are right up on the sidewalk:

http://www.liquid-bl...27Berlin017.jpg

Even the old Harris Chrysler building at Cook and Yates has a good urban showroom. Anything is better than looking at a sea of cars IMO.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

You miss my point. Beautiful, sophisticated urban car dealerships have been discussed on this forum before. For example, Berlin's dealerships are right up on the sidewalk:

http://www.liquid-bl...27Berlin017.jpg

Even the old Harris Chrysler building at Cook and Yates has a good urban showroom. Anything is better than looking at a sea of cars IMO.

I think the sea of cars, all lined up neatly, in all colours is a bit of a prestige thing. Buy from a dealer than only has 6 cars in his showroom, or buy from the guy that has 60 of each model? You might buy from the latter as he looks like he has money and is in it for the long run.

#80 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

I think the sea of cars, all lined up neatly, in all colours is a bit of a prestige thing. Buy from a dealer than only has 6 cars in his showroom, or buy from the guy that has 60 of each model? You might buy from the latter as he looks like he has money and is in it for the long run.

You truly only have to display one of each model in only one colour. The other 59 can be stored in an underground vault. Imagine having only one car on display for test drives, then taken to a underground parkade to chose your colour. At least then every car isn't getting test drive mileage. Imagine the prestige of "so you like the model, let's go down to our vault and chose your colour.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users