Inter-city bus service & Victoria terminal

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#401 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 26,576 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:42 PM

But Greyhound was able to survive, with the existing subsidies, for decades. Even if they weren't very profitable, the length of service at least shows it wasn't a ridiculous money loser for them.  So keeping or tweaking the existing subsidies may be all that is needed to get the service back up and running.

NO.  Greyhound was never given subsidies.  they were awarded exclusive trade contracts for lucrative routes in exchange for also operating certain rural routes (at a loss).

your vancouver to calgary overpriced fare paid for a crappy route in the north to keep going.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 May 2021 - 04:43 PM.

#402 LJ

LJ
  • 10,846 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:31 PM

Those stats sound like they are pulled out of thin air. What community are you referring to in your example? I can't think of any BC community that only has one bus per week other than Fort Nelson.

Give him a break, he's using VHF stats.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#403 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 26,576 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 01:46 AM

i'm not.

i'm simply confident that inter-city bus lines serve less than 1%.  so that's the number i'm using.

they serve such a tiny portion of the population but we have an outsized view of their importance for some reason.

look at the bc ferries connector.  in a regular summer we have 12 sailings leaving from the vancouver side coming to swartz bay.  up to 2,100 passengers on each ferry.  yet the connector only has 3 bus loads*.  

24,000 passengers, three buses with 240 people total if they are full.  and that's on a route that carries lots of tourists that have no cars or friends and family locally for rides.

* the 2021 plan is one bus per day.  if/when it re-starts.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 May 2021 - 01:50 AM.

#404 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:55 PM

it's what i'm known for.   :wave:

i'm all for you taking the inter-city bus.  i just do not want to pay part of your fare.  i never ask you to pay for my gas or flights.

You definitely ask me to pay for the roads you drive on and other infrastructure.

#405 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:57 PM

i'm not.

i'm simply confident that inter-city bus lines serve less than 1%.  so that's the number i'm using.

they serve such a tiny portion of the population but we have an outsized view of their importance for some reason.

look at the bc ferries connector.  in a regular summer we have 12 sailings leaving from the vancouver side coming to swartz bay.  up to 2,100 passengers on each ferry.  yet the connector only has 3 bus loads*.  

24,000 passengers, three buses with 240 people total if they are full.  and that's on a route that carries lots of tourists that have no cars or friends and family locally for rides.

* the 2021 plan is one bus per day.  if/when it re-starts.

OK you want to use the ferry as an example of people who don't use public transit?

Is the irony lost on you?

Even if you don't consider the ferry as a form of public transit, what about the thousands a day that bus to the ferry and walk on?

#406 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 26,576 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 03:05 PM

Even if you don't consider the ferry as a form of public transit, what about the thousands a day that bus to the ferry and walk on?

i love it.  i wish we'd make it proper though.  1 easy fare all the way through and no long walk on the vancouver side.  have the buses at the berth and just fill it and go.  and no extra stops on this side.  express up the highway with no exits.   uptown and royal oak and sidney (highway stop) and mt. newton only.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 May 2021 - 03:22 PM.

#407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 66,088 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:46 PM

OK you want to use the ferry as an example of people who don't use public transit?
Is the irony lost on you?

I rest my case, 2.0.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users