Inter-city bus service & Victoria terminal

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

Cash on a bus equals an excellent robbery opportunity.

Not everyone is traveling a short distance. Lots of people are going from Victoria to Alberta by bus and that costs more than what most people will carry in their pocket. I also have a feeling that the kiosk acts as a form of passenger interview. Nobody wants a crazy guy on their bus for 10 hours and the kiosk might actually keep certain individuals from even getting on the bus.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

Well, cash accepted on the bus would be another way, sure.

There are still folks who don't have/use the Internet. Perhaps you don't have time, last minute trip, and don't have a smart phone as well... etc.

If this option is required you just set it up with a retailer that can print you a ticket you pay for by cash.  Honestly, it's not like our bus station is the connecting centre for 15 different routes, and people are laying over for 4 hours.  Our bus terminal is the end of the road, and it's just a glorified parking/drop/wait lot that has no real use.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

I guess that's why it's as small and insignificant as it is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

Nobody wants a crazy guy on their bus for 10 hours and the kiosk might actually keep certain individuals from even getting on the bus.

Obviously that did not work in Manitoba.

Oh, hey, look at this...

http://news.national...ommits-suicide/

Six years after Vince Li beheaded a Greyhound passenger, another death: Mountie at the scene commits suicide

The 51-year-old member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is among 13 first responders who have killed themselves in the past 10 weeks, says the Tema Conter Memorial Trust, a group working to end the stigma of PTSD.

“He was the 11th, but we have had two additional [suicides] overnight and the number’s up to 13 now,” said Vince Savoia, the trust’s spokesman.

Hey, I though the media didn't report suicide, it's supposed to be the last taboo.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

Edited by HB, 19 November 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

I didnt know Bosa owne the Bus Terminal .

When did this happens.

As far as I ever knew it was part of the CPR properties like the CG

Did teh Empress Hotel sell it to Bosa and if so did they sell the lot it sits on or just the building

The property has always been owed by the Empress, and leased out.  And Bosa bought the Empress, and the terminal came with the deal.

#67 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

Edited by HB, 19 November 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

Same family, different brother than the one building here (Promontory).

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

PCL has received approval to drop their Vic-Van route down to as little as 3 trips each way in off-peak season.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:54 AM

http://www.timescolo...-home-1.1616676

Options are being examined now that the bus lines have been given 18 months’ notice to move out of 700 Douglas St.

“We want to see [people] dropped off in the downtown core,” said Frank Bourree, board chairman of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce and a tourism consultant. “However, they don’t need a big bus depot, really. You could drop off passengers on the sidewalk downtown somewhere.”

Losing the bus depot is not a dramatic blow, since the property could be better used, Bourree said.

But, he said, the drop-off for passengers needs to be located south of Johnson Street and as close to the harbour as possible.

The depot serves passengers travelling to and from Vancouver and Whistler via Pacific Coach, as well as those taking sightseeing tours and heading to the airport. Greyhound buses travel from the depot as far north as Port Hardy.

The bus depot opened in 1961, relocating from 814 Wharf St.

John Wilson, owner of Wilson’s Transportation Ltd., which leases space at the current depot and operates Grey Line Sightseeing double-decker buses and an airport service, favours a much smaller location downtown.

A downtown storefront for tickets and parcels, a small waiting area and curbside pickup and drop-off area for passengers are all that’s required, Wilson said, adding buses would be there for only five to 15 minutes. “It doesn’t have to be a stand-alone building.”

I agree with Wilson and Bouree, the drop should still be downtown.  I think Helps is wrong.  Buses do not need to hang out there for long periods.

#71 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:22 AM

^I agree as well.  How long do the Vancouver-Victoria buses park before they have to depart going back to the mainland?  With the reduced schedules it could be awhile

#72 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

I forgot the need for parcel storage. I've used that service before. And isn't there need for administration of some sort? What is the second storey used for? Or is it all done out by Glanford?

It's very interesting that people are talking about the requirements being so minimal. It was not even ten years ago the depot was planned for Rock Bay next to Sports Traders and that design was much larger than the present one both in building size and parking area. At the time many including the DRA were opposed and this tells me we were right--that we prevented the construction of a useless white elephant.

#73 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:34 AM

I've received many parcels via Greyhound, and they always come to Glanford (to my irritation; the downtown building would be more convenient for me).

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:36 AM

^I agree as well.  How long do the Vancouver-Victoria buses park before they have to depart going back to the mainland?  With the reduced schedules it could be awhile

Well, they could park elsewhere.  Like Ogden Point.

• Jill likes this

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:37 AM

I forgot the need for parcel storage. I've used that service before. And isn't there need for administration of some sort? What is the second storey used for? Or is it all done out by Glanford?

It's very interesting that people are talking about the requirements being so minimal. It was not even ten years ago the depot was planned for Rock Bay next to Sports Traders and that design was much larger than the present one both in building size and parking area. At the time many including the DRA were opposed and this tells me we were right--that we prevented the construction of a useless white elephant.

I think even 10 years ago, some were wary of buying online.  That's disappeared now.

#76 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:13 AM

Perhaps a kiosk at the Victoria Public Market would suffice?

#77 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

You still space to physically park several buses at once, even if only for a few minutes. Look at the layover locations that BC Transit uses, and how they have to keep shuffling them around/expanding them.

• Nparker likes this

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

You still space to physically park several buses at once, even if only for a few minutes. Look at the layover locations that BC Transit uses, and how they have to keep shuffling them around/expanding them.

5rr.png

Plenty of room here.  And sell the tickets out of the Tourist Infocentre, using their staff.

Or here:

112.png

^ This pick-up area around the Homecoming statue has lots of area for people to mill around.  You could make a heated shelter too.  There are washrooms under the InfoCenre.

44rr.png

#79 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:00 AM

And the location is sensitive. Astoria/Belevdere residents have complained about the BC Transit layover stop outside their condos and the constant noise it creates.

Here is the link to the old Rock Bay proposal:

http://vibrantvictor...nceled-in-2007/

#80 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

And the location is sensitive. Astoria/Belevdere residents have complained about the BC Transit layover stop outside their condos and the constant noise it creates...

Of course they have; to not complain would be un-Victorian. I have to ask though, what was there first: the condos or the buses?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users