Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Hudson | Condos & Commercial | HBC block redevelopment; Phase 1 | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2010

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

As per the council meeting thread in the Politics forum, the development concept, including the Bay redevelopment and the three towers on the eastern portion of the lot (parkade), were approved by the Committee of the Whole today :tup:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

Bay developer asked to justify why extra height is necessary

Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Friday, October 06, 2006

The owner of the former Bay site has been asked to provide Victoria council with a market feasibility study to justify why parts of his project need to be close to 60 per cent higher than allowed for the site.

It is the first time the city has asked a developer to financially rationalize a request for additional height and density.

[...]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 stargazer

stargazer
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

Has it ever occured to the council that it is not that the tower is 60% over the height limit, but that their height limit is too low by a factor of 2 ?!

I am glad that Randall pointed out that slim tall buildings are much much better than the stuff they approve now! The more I wander around Victoria, the uglier the place gets with all they low rises.

I don't know, but when I walk around I tend to look ahead of me, so whether a building is 4 stories high or 30 stories, it doesn't make a difference. Except that the high building will block much less sunlight on the street! Maybe these the counsel members should stop walking with their noses in the air!

#24 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

^ noses in the air..hahhahahaa

#25 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:34 PM

I would love this project to go through.

All the luck to the developers keeping there money trying to building such a massive porject right in the downtown core!

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

Bay developer must open books

By Brennan Clarke
Victoria News
Oct 11 2006

Council asks Townline to justify height request

If developer Rick Illich wants extra height and density on the massive project he has planned for the former Bay building on Douglas Street, he'll have to show city council his books.

At Thursday's committee-of-the-whole meeting, council voted to send the project to public hearing once Illich, owner of Richmond-based Townline Group has met an exhaustive list of preliminary conditions.

That list includes a market feasibility study explaining why the extra height and density are needed to make the project profitable.

[...]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

Title makes it sound like they are trying to hide stuff.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

Developers are understandably aprehensive about having competitors learn all the juicy financial details of their projects. It's supposed to be confidential but considering who will have access, leaks are inevitable.

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:57 AM

As if doing a reno of a building the size of the Bay doesn't cost money.

Folks, look what they're going to build on the Woodward's site in Vancouver.

Folks, the developer in Nanaimo claims he needs to go to almost 40-stories just to achieve viability! No massive department store to fix up there. No big old parkade to knock down.

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:53 AM

I have a feeling Townline will achieve at least close to their proposed height of each tower.
Council, as does the public realises that there too much to lose if this falls through.
Besides, Townline has does a great job so far educating the public that the proposed hieght is fiscally vital to this project's survival - to the old Bay building's new life.
I have no inside info to back this up - just a feeling.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

Here's the site: http://www.hudsonliving.ca

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 Photogirl

Photogirl
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

Make sure your speakers are on when you visit the site!

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

Crane action on Herald today next to Hudson. It's still there, not sure what it did today.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

[url=http://imageshack.us:98b1f][/url:98b1f]

#35 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

Hey there's my truck!!!

I saw the crane up just before six and it got dark outside!!!

#36 aastra

aastra
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:16 PM

Are you suggesting the crane somehow caused darkness to fall?

That sounds a bit superstitious to me. It was probably a coincidental solar eclipse.

#37 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

It's a very creepy Crane.....I am serious!!! Stay away from it.....

#38 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:17 AM

Has anyone heard if the retail portion will be strata or lease yet?
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:48 PM

I live 2 blocks from this site and I SO want it to go ahead as currently conceived. The present parking structure on Blansshard/Herald/Fisgard is a disgrace and if Townline is unsucesful in bringing it down, I hope the BIG ONE hits and does the job for us.

#40 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

Welcome to the site Nparker!! I like your vision!!! :)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users