Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Hudson | Condos & Commercial | HBC block redevelopment; Phase 1 | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2010

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#41 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:22 PM

Thanks Scaper. I am so enjoying the new urbanism as espoused here on VV.

In regards to that abomination on Blanshard street (the old Bay parkade), I remember a few years ago when Queen Elizabeth came to Victoria for her Golden Jubliee celebrations. I was standing on Blanshard outside the above named monstrosity, as her cavalcade went past. She waved and smiled and all I could think was how can I hide this hideous behemoth behind me so that Her Majesty does not think that is what represents out City? I am not even much of a monarchist, but I was so embarased for what she had to witness.

#42 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

Wow, now that's a story you should save for the public hearing of this building!!! :)

I absolutely love this proposal, I love the design, the the stagard height, the carriage way, everything. I really hope it goes through the way it is now.

#43 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria, NParker!

I love this proposal as well, as that hideous Orchard House, and the hideous Astoria need to be dwarfed by SOMETHING :lol:

Ben

#44 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:36 PM

^Hey what's wrong with Orchard House?

LOL

#45 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

:lol:

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:10 PM

I'll give you Orchard House (shoebox turned on its side). Between it and View Towers, all highrise development was considered verboten for 30 years in Victoria. However, the Astoria is pretty decent.. Belvedere even better (though not tall enough). And although ARIA is a few stories short of perfection, it will complete a rebirth of a block of the city that can stand as a model for the new urbanism.

#47 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:17 PM

There's a new website for the Hudson, http://www.hudsonliving.ca , and ads for the lofts in today's T-C. It looks like the actual Bay store itself will be the first phase of the project.

#48 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:08 PM

This passed the APC meeting tonight!!! :)

The DRA spoke in favor as did I ...no other members of the public spoke.

On to the ADP now!!!

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:09 PM

Yup, this project, consisting of a restoration of the Bay building and three towers of 24-, 18, and 13-storeys passed the Advisory Planning Committee meeting this evening.

Six committee members were in favour and two against, with one member abstaining and one member who originally chose to abstain but then commented during the voting session so it was unclear whether or not she actually voted or abstained (which would have been against the project).

Note: the height of the towers has been reduced to 24, 18 and 13-storeys from 25, 19 and 15, respectively.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:28 PM

Yup, this project, consisting of a restoration of the Bay building and three towers of 24-, 18, and 13-storeys passed the Advisory Planning Committee meeting this evening.

Six committee members were in favour and two against, with one member abstaining and one member who originally chose to abstain but then commented during the voting session so it was unclear whether or not she actually voted or abstained (which would have been against the project).

Note: the height of the towers has been reduced to 24, 18 and 13-storeys from 25, 19 and 15, respectively.

I wonder if they'll reduce further as the process grinds on... like down to 21, 16 and 12

#51 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:38 AM

hush on such nonsence.......Bahhhhhh!!!!!

#52 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:40 AM

What's the point of a one floor reduction in height! Who's idea was that, the developers of the cities?

#53 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:43 AM

The developers. Go figure hey!

#54 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:56 AM

That is probably do to having to open the books to council. The reduction will show now a smaller profit for the developer. Because you cannot have them making too much money.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:06 PM

One the one hand we've got the local media revelling in the fact that some developments have run into financial trouble, and on the other hand we've got the city obligating developers to proceed with the thinnest possible margins.

Where's the sense?

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

Anyway, 24-stories is so close to Orchard House's 22-stories (only two stories more, if my calculation is correct) that there's no way the naysayers can have a legitimate freak about the height of this project now.

#57 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

plus it's right across from North Park Manner...at 17 stories!

#58 djp

djp
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:12 PM

That website intro is pretty snazzy.

Here's hoping this goes through. That part of Victoria is so grim at present. Imagine if the Hudson and the Well project are both approved. It will make a huge difference to "Upper" downtown, as the website calls it.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

Yup, and across Herald from the Hudson developet, at Blanshard, is the 15-storey Gateway Green office proposal.

Some interesting changes coming to that part of town, but success will come down to public participation as council has the final say based on how they feel the community feels about the projects.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:01 PM

You'd have to be insane not to realize how desperately that area needs residences, and a lot of them.
I walked home from SOFMC along blanshard southbound last night alone, and it was a little scary. It's so dark and empty - and the only people walking the streets seemed like the shady kind. I kept looking over my shoulder, half expecting to get mugged.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users