• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#241 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

You're right, I'll back off on that.

I'm just highly suspect of the sudden decision to walk away from accepted and established policies of rapidly densifying existing commercial nodes in the city centre and along major arterials. Suddenly we have "sensitive density" back in the narrative when five years ago we decided as a community that areas like Cook Street Village should be priority-densified considering their location and existing infrastructure.

There is nothing sacrosanct about CSV other than the fact people keep saying it's an amazing place. Is it, though? Not particularly when you compare it to other commercial nodes in other places. It's like a poor man's Kits with crappy architecture, but yet its held up as some sort of a jewel.

This is seriously what we're proud of, and trying so hard to protect? Knock this stuff down and replace it with hundreds of residences above proper commercial spaces. And those residences should allow for a wide spectrum of prices to be inclusive and not exclusive to all but the wealthiest of locals.

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.36.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.36.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.37.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.37.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.37.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.37.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.37.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.38.10 AM.png

• Nparker and grantpalin like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#242 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

Let's dissect this for a second.

The busiest places in the village are ...coffee shops! Amazing, right, places that sell coffee!

Next up is the pub. A pub! That's where people can drink beer. And it has a monopoly for quite a ways in every direction.

So what's next. A pizza place! But not just any pizza place, the village's pizza place has a wood oven! Like in the old days!

But the bank closed because there wasn't enough business. The laundromat has been replaced by ...a burger joint! With chili fries!

The grocery store has fantastic canned goods but you'd think twice before buying those chicken thighs.

I mean, c'mon, folks. There's familiarity at play here and we love what's familiar, but to an outsider the village is ho-hum and pretty raggedy. It needs change, it needs enough density with that change to allow even one bank branch to survive.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#243 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

...There is nothing sacrosanct about CSV other than the fact people keep saying it's an amazing place. Is it, though? Not particularly when you compare it to other commercial nodes in other places. It's like a poor man's Kits with crappy architecture, but yet its held up as some sort of a jewel...

I'd love to see the CSV make efforts to become the next Commercial Drive.

#244 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

...There's familiarity at play here and we love what's familiar, but to an outsider the village is ho-hum and pretty raggedy. It needs change, it needs enough density with that change to allow even one bank branch to survive.

I see no reason why whatever hard-to-define elements that currently make the CSV "special" won't survive slightly taller, newer buildings and twice the number of inhabitants living within walking distance. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

#245 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

The village is a ground zero for the 'developers only want to get rich' and millionaire home owners complaining about million dollar condos crowd. These folks would rather chain themselves to the silly architecture I've posted below then to give a developer an extra inch of height to disperse density in a more meaningful way and make the housing more attainable.

If there was real love for the village and for what it means in an urban setting we'd be welcoming developers with open arms in the hopes that they would be willing to invest in and beautify the area to turn into a real jewel and not just one that happens to be in a perfect location next to a massive park steps from the ocean. Instead we're rolling back on sensible planning in the name of "sensitive density."

• Nparker and grantpalin like this

Know it all.

#246 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

CSV has the muddy "grass" adjacent to the sidewalks that are the envy of every neighbourhood.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#247 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

Did I mention it has a hair salon?

Know it all.

#248 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

I think it has 2 or 3.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#249 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

But did you know it has ...a lawyer's office?

Know it all.

#250 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

CSV has the muddy "grass" adjacent to the sidewalks that are the envy of every neighbourhood.

I keep hoping someone will finally decide these spaces are best paved over rather than 6 months of mud and 6 months of dust every year. Perhaps have a "buy a brick" campaign to encourage the public to invest in their beloved neighbourhood.

#251 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

That's ALR land. In case we need it.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#252 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

Plus that guy who sits outside of the Macs.

Matt.

#253 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

Four stories would double the density of most those buildings and infinitely increase the density of those empty spots ;-)
I doubt any development will be under $1000/sqft so all development will do is reduce the economic mix. I’m not against this just recognizing it.

You're right, I'll back off on that.

I'm just highly suspect of the sudden decision to walk away from accepted and established policies of rapidly densifying existing commercial nodes in the city centre and along major arterials. Suddenly we have "sensitive density" back in the narrative when five years ago we decided as a community that areas like Cook Street Village should be priority-densified considering their location and existing infrastructure.

There is nothing sacrosanct about CSV other than the fact people keep saying it's an amazing place. Is it, though? Not particularly when you compare it to other commercial nodes in other places. It's like a poor man's Kits with crappy architecture, but yet its held up as some sort of a jewel.

This is seriously what we're proud of, and trying so hard to protect? Knock this stuff down and replace it with hundreds of residences above proper commercial spaces. And those residences should allow for a wide spectrum of prices to be inclusive and not exclusive to all but the wealthiest of locals.

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.36.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.36.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.37.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.37.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.37.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.37.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.37.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 9.38.10 AM.png

#254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

Yes, that is true.

We are densifying the neighbourhood with every redevelopment.

Know it all.

#255 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

I do want to say I am devils advocating a bit here since I also am of the opinion that if left to decay we might find the desirability of CSV decline. It's extremely difficult to stay in a status. Things are either growing or dying. This is why I am absolutely not against development here. I just think the existing should be considered. Plus, as I have said before, we have plenty of other zones that are much much better for an overhaul with even greater density. More Selkirk like developments should be encouraged. Neighborhood creation not altercation.

#256 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

More Selkirk also means less industrial land, which the region is desperately short on. There's no easy answer, but while Selkirks may be enviable in some ways they are not enviable in others (length of time to develop, the possibility of not having "it" once completed, etc.).

Both Selkirk and Railyards have sort of fallen off the retail rails. Neither area's commercial offerings really took off other than Selkirk's Glo restaurant and its couple of cafes that only operate during business hours.

Know it all.

#257 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

Much of the densification that will ever occur in the neighbourhoods adjacent to Cook Street has already occurred. These days we're really talking about adding another lowrise apartment block here or there among the hundreds of apartment blocks that already exist. Finishing touches on the decades-long process. Why do many Victorians pretend to have a blind spot re: anything and everything that already exists? Look at historic aerials of Fairfield and compare them to today. 98%* of the transformation that people "fear" has already occurred, and had already occurred before the dawn of the 21st century.

*I might be exaggerating. The actual number might be closer to 95%.

#258 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

I'd love to see the CSV make efforts to become the next Commercial Drive.

I would hate that. I want CSV to continue to be CSV, only more so. Just like I want Oak Bay Avenue to continue to be Oak Bay Avenue, only more so. Same thing for Beacon Ave., same thing for West 41st Ave., same thing for West Broadway.

• dasmo likes this

#259 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

I would hate that. I want CSV to continue to be CSV, only more so. Just like I want Oak Bay Avenue to continue to be Oak Bay Avenue, only more so. Same thing for Beacon Ave., same thing for West 41st Ave., same thing for West Broadway.

And Estevan Village, Fairfield Village and Dean Heights on Foul Bay Road.

#260 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

Long story short, when Victoria just relaxes and allows itself to be what it is and when it works on emphasizing and enhancing its own uniqueness and special features then everything tends to work out wonderfully. On the other hand, when Victoria gets uptight and feels self-conscious and tries to undo itself or make arbitrary changes in order to be more like or unlike some other place then things tend to go bad.

• Bingo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users