Cook Street Village

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:53 PM

It means when you step on a leaf it snaps back at you saying, "get off me, fat ass".

Don't forget to watch sign guy on channel 12 tonight.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

Most of the trees have already been replaced. In about a hundred years things will be back to the way things were.

---

Somebody has answered my prayers. It looks like a butcher shop will be opening in the former Eyeland Opitical location - same building as the Beagle.

Hallelujah!!!
Finally a place in the village where I can get fresh meat that I can actually trust. (Potentially)

#23 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Eyeland Opitical - did I see that right?

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

Eyesomething or other.

#25 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:54 AM

Happy Gnu Ears!

Aye, the Dolt has returned! I set this thread up for updates on the imminent arrival of new businesses to the CSV area. Of course, all eyes will be on Castana's street level storefronts which should be occupied soon with *owl impression* whoooo knows? :confused:

I hope the parking lot food fair across the street still stays around, in one form or another.... they serve some good fare from those wagons, so GET UP, GET OUT AND SUPPORT THEM!... pleease? :)

Now, the next new business going into the old optical store space will be... *drumroll*... a butchery!!! Once they're up and running, I'll be watching meat prices at Ambrosio and Oxford to see if they change at all.

Oh! With the removal of those old chestnut trees from around the Village, does that mean I'll have a bit more of a tan in the summer, as I run around and shop?? :cool:
Vote for the Dolt for Cook Street Village's first mayor!
Then we amalgamate! :D

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:20 AM

You were scooped--last month. :D
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#27 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:08 AM

Now, the next new business going into the old optical store space will be... *drumroll*... a butchery!!!

Oh, happy day! Any details on who is behind it?

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

Found some details on this coming butcher here.

Walking down Cook Street after work today, I happened upon a construction crew preparing the future butcher shop and wandered in to seek some details. It turns out that the project is being backed by the owners of the Beagle Pub and will be operated by a former Thrifty’s butcher. He’s aiming to have the place open March 10th and will offer fresh meat and seafood. He shared with me that he’s aiming to keep the prices low and hopes to beat the big box prices on all his product and would be happy to special order product for customers. If the reality lives up to the promise (a tall order, but our fingers are crossed), I could soon start eating an unhealthy amount of meat!

This goes beyond my hopes. Not only will there be a good source of meat, but fish as well. Yay!

#29 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

Took a stroll in the Village today and noticed a For Sale sign on Mercedes Lane, Too. I don't know if that means ML2 is for sale, or if Marc ***en is selling the building. The phone number listed is Marc's. Anyone have any info?

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

Marc is trying to sell the property. He's been trying to sell it since he founfd out the carts were not going to work out. He bought it for 1.7 million.

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

^The forum's auto-censor says we have to say Marc Alternative Sexual Orientation-en.

#32 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:33 AM

^The forum's auto-censor says we have to say Marc Alternative Sexual Orientation-en.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty gay, too. ;)

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

Island Meat and Fish's grand opening is tomorrow.

#34 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

Hai again Gumgum,

Thanks for the headsup. So far as I've seen, Island Meat and Seafood (on Cook Street, intimating that there might be more locations as soon as this one turns a million profit?) doesn't have its own website yet, but I'll still be down there tomorrow to see if fishy relates only to the stock and not the prices! *crosses fingers*

Meanwhilst, next door....
Another new tenant to be! Lark and Sparrow, Indie Inspired Frocks and Fashions, sign in window with accompanying hiring now info (nope, no website there yet either). As I scribe this, I chuckle, thinking up frock-related jokes n puns! :)

See you soon, my neighbourly Vibbies, around the Village stores!

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

The butcher is a success and no nonsense. I was hoping it would be more plane Jane and down to earth, rather than yuppie and pretentious, and it's just what I was hoping for.
It's white and functional, clean and open source. There's not even a wall between the butchering and the retail. There's nothing to hide.
They are helpful and receptive - open to questions and requests.
Both the meat and fish is fresh.
They will do well.

-------

Strangely, the 1 Fish 2 Fish food cart is open at the food court parking lot again. I don't know any details yet.

#36 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

Greetin's again!

Thanks GumGum for the updates. Good to hear the butchers are the draw right now. Hopefully they'll throw in a few sale days and get more biz.

Anyone have thumbsup/thumbsdown on the new Lark and Sparrow clothing shoppe?

How many of you 'Occupants' received the new mailout from the City, re. Community Meeting to discuss approval of *count 'em* 11 food vending kiosks in all, including those already existing at lot 325 in the Village! Woohoo!... pass the Pepto please!... :D

The meeting will commence on Wednesday, April 21st. at 7pm at the Fairfield Gonzales Community Association, 1330 Fairfield Road.

More info to Marc Fa.gan, proponent, 250-514-4078 or Wayne Hollohan, committee Chair, 250-383-8043.

Chatachall laters!
Doltsky

#37 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:49 AM

Outdoor kiosks at Cook Street Village given go-ahead

(AnonAnnie2 fell off her heels when she read this much welcomed headline)

#38 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

The butcher is a success and no nonsense. I was hoping it would be more plane Jane and down to earth, rather than yuppie and pretentious, and it's just what I was hoping for.
It's white and functional, clean and open source. There's not even a wall between the butchering and the retail.

They smoke their own jerky in-house and it doesn't cost a fortune....mmmmmmmmm....

#39 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

Heyo!

It's official, 11 more food and drink kiosks are on da way to Food Court, part deux, to join those fishy, boiga and desoit guys! Here's the writeup, c. this morning in Victoria News:

http://www.bclocalne...s/94176434.html

I'm tempted to mix n match the cuisine when they're all there, but only if there's a kiosk with a selection of antacids!... :D

Happy cuisining!

The Doltsky

#40 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

Oh, also noticed that our local paintbrush wizard, Robert Amos was "vehemently opposed" to council allowing the kiosks in..... now, really Robert!!

It's all well and fine, Robert, to b***h about addition of those kiosks, but you'd better not let me catch you artistically rendering, for profit, that area later!! :P

Laters, Vibrantos!

The Doltsky

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users