The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7149 replies to this topic

#2081 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,771 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

I never realized that was him who died on Blanshard at Cloverdale. I met him quite a few years ago when he was just a kid living on the streets. Sad stuff.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2082 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

Here's a CHEK News piece on the West Saanich and Millstream crashes today:

http://www.cheknews....d=3560810531001

Didn't I just say yesterday that something needs to be done with that Millstream intersection?  Hmmm... 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2083 LJ

LJ
  • 12,790 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

Is that where people going northbound on Millstream are trying to turn left to pick up the TCH westbound, by the Tim Horton's?

The main cause of problems there is people in the left lane going southbound on Millstream stop to let the people make the turn but the right lane is still full of fast moving traffic. I think by stopping you are inviting people to get hit by a car in the right lane. I almost hit someone there as I was going southbound and a car came flying through making the left turn, absolutely no caution whatsoever.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2084 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

That's exactly where it is. 

IMO it needs a light for the left turning drivers. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#2085 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

They run lights and wonder why they get hit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewNhEG3fSYE

#2086 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

He was in the intersection when it turned red.  Maybe it was "unsafe to stop" when it turned yellow.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2087 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

The light turned yellow as the Civic was just entering the intersection.  The cyclist was right behind the Civic and had plenty of time to stop. 

#2088 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

The light turned yellow as the Civic was just entering the intersection.  The cyclist was right behind the Civic and had plenty of time to stop. 

He was so close to the Civic he could not see where the intersections started.  But he was clearly in it when the light turned red.  Having said all that, that procedure, turning left at an advance signal against stopped traffic, has a very, very, very low accident rate.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2089 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

It's called caboosing, people of all modes do it.  With the way people accelerate from reds in Victoria you can often get a few more cars or bikes through after an advance is over.  I love how every time a cyclist does anything they become a representative of all cycledom but bad drivers are just bad drivers as their own class.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#2090 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

Interesting how close to one second of video is jumped over right about the critical moment.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#2091 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,771 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

I nearly took this guy out this evening. He tried so very hard to end up as a grill ornament.

Cyclist.jpg

I'd upload a video but my Microsoft video editor ...can't edit videos.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2092 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

It's called caboosing, people of all modes do it.  With the way people accelerate from reds in Victoria you can often get a few more cars or bikes through after an advance is over.  I love how every time a cyclist does anything they become a representative of all cycledom but bad drivers are just bad drivers as their own class.

So, in certain intersections, where you don't have any advance green, and you are the first vehicle turning against traffic when the light goes green for both directions, you can sometimes jump it hard and make your turn before any oncoming traffic even gets going.  I presume it's technically not legal, or is it?  We did it on our motorcycles all the time.  I can't remember what the best intersections were to do it.  I guess maybe where you are on a two-lane street, crossing a 4-lane.  EDIT:  Like you are on Bay, eastbound, turning left onto Shelbourne.  We did it there lots.

#2093 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Interesting how close to one second of video is jumped over right about the critical moment.

Unfortunately the camera loses a second of video between clips.  The camera limits the video files to 60 seconds, saves it then starts a new one. 

But the video shows the cyclist sneaking into the intersection well after the light turned yellow.  He had plenty of time and space to stop.  He should have been anticipating the change. 

As for painting all cyclists with the same brush, I'm just point out an incident.  I post videos of car drivers too, and I generally find drivers to be pretty sloppy.  So there's no bias here :)

#2094 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

And it's a good way to either get hit by someone running the red or hold up traffic with the green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OMoio5WuS8

#2095 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:27 PM

It's called caboosing, people of all modes do it. 

"Cute" term for running a red light. Just because "everybody" does it, doesn't mean you should. It endangers the pedestrians and steals from the the green turning arrow from the other direction if there is one. Pretty selfish really.

A particularly bad place for this is at Douglas & Finlayson at Mayfair Mall. I often travel west on Finlayson and almost always someone runs the red turning left on to Douglas going north, when the pedestrians are already crossing in both directions, just squeezing between the 2 crossing groups. But earlier this week I saw a commercial van get stuck in the middle of the intersection, now blocking the right of way of the traffic because he didn't RUN THE RED before the pedestrians closed the gap.

#2096 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,771 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

As I was reading that I was thinking to myself "Douglas at Finlayson," then you mention that intersection. I agree that it is one of the worst for "caboosing" or whatever.

Know it all.

#2097 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Does your definition of "caboosing" include a situation where two vehicles enter into the intersection on the green to make a left turn and then both get held up waiting for oncoming traffic to clear?

#2098 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

Does your definition of "caboosing" include a situation where two vehicles enter into the intersection on the green to make a left turn and then both get held up waiting for oncoming traffic to clear?

Not sure who you are asking here...but definitely what I see at most major intersections in Victoria are folks who turn left LONG after the light has left GREEN ....the lights are already red when they ENTER the intersection and the opposing traffic have the green light....which I will repeat is selfish.....personally I just don't understand the risk to life of the driver or other folks of pushing that one intersection...we all see that same person at the next traffic light in front of us who ran the light previous... and even if we don't....what did that save you ....a minute off your travel time to risk the life of a pedestrian or yourself? Remember LIFE is not a race..

#2099 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:08 AM

I don't know, if you are already well into the intersection, turning, this seems like you are in a slow-moving, high-visibility kind of place.

The dangerous jerks are those that race through the yellow/red, when traffic has stopped in both the left turn lane to their left, and the curb lane to their right, they come through that hole - they come flying through under cover somewhat.  They can't see what's in the intersection, and those in the intersection can't see them coming.  If you are turning left against this type of situation, I'd rather you wait to see that something does not come out of that "hole", so maybe waiting until the light is red is prudent before you go across that incoming mystery lane.

Also, caboosing might be an a-hole thing to do, but I think it's relatively safe.

#2100 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,816 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

I would include this as only one vehicle may enter an intersection at a time to make a left turn. 

• sebberry and D.L. like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users