The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#2241 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

As for the truck, the light wasn't burned out, it was flashing.

OK, well, I just went with percentages, in all three stills it's off.  So if it was blinking, then he knew the truck was not going through the intersection, so he was A) perhaps in for a longer wait and B.) the next car that wanted to go straight through.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2242 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

We were all in a wait. That's just the design of the road.

HB, what the images show is the individual entered the oncoming lane and proceeded to enter the intersection in an oncoming lane. You, as a professional driver, advocate such driving behaviour?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2243 aaroninvictoria

aaroninvictoria
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

I think Fairfield Rd gets the only green light at that time, the two way green is Humbolt no? So he was proceeding into the intersection knowing everyone else had a red light no? 

For the record, that is a tough intersection... 

@aaroninvictoria aka @aaronhallcooks

#2244 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

No, only Humboldt westbound gets a dedicated green. Fairfield westbound, the direction in the photos, and Humboldt eastbound share a single green light.

• aaroninvictoria likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2245 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

BC's Worst Roads - Top 10 List

Rank

Road

Approximate geographical location

Main problem cited (%)

Silver Star Road

Vernon

West of Greenway Road, about 16 km west of Vernon

Potholes/crumbling pavement (95%)

Westside Road

West Kelowna

About 40 km north of West Kelowna, near Attenborough Road

Pedestrian/cycling safety (84%)

Cosens Bay Road

Coldstream

About 14 km south of Vernon

Pedestrian/cycling safety (63%) 

Westside Road

West Kelowna

About 17 km north of West Kelowna

Potholes/crumbling pavement (86%)

George Massey Tunnel

Richmond

Traffic Congestion (96%)

McKenzie Avenue

Victoria

At Highway 1

Traffic congestion (96%)

Patullo Bridge

Surrey

Traffic Congestion (85%)

Maple Crescent

Maple Ridge

At Lorne Ave

Potholes/crumbling pavement (83%)

Westside Road

Vernon

About 35 km west of Vernon, near Chief Saddleman Road

Potholes/crumbling pavement (94%)

Island Hwy

Malahat

About 2 km south of Shawnigan Lake Road

Traffic Congestion (80%)

Learn more about the survey and eligible roads

http://www.bcaa.com/...oads-2014/top10

#2246 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Doesn't matter as fair as I am concerned. It's not a two lane wide road in one direction, its one lane for each directions. No amount of would of, could of, should of, justifies that fact that this maneuver was illegal.
  • Mike K. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2247 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Edited by HB, 21 November 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#2248 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

It's definitely not wise to pass another vehicle so near to an intersection, because to do so would put your vehicle in the opposing traffic lane as you enter the intersection and begin to proceed through. In the case of a one-lane road it would also be illegal in many jurisdictions. I presume it isn't legal in BC. In Mike K.'s photo the culprit appears to be more than halfway through the intersection but still on the wrong side of the road. What he's actually doing is passing vehicles within the intersection. So what could go wrong? Aside from the obvious (an unnoticed vehicle coming the other way), it's also possible that the vehicle waiting to turn right might abort the turn and proceed straight through the intersection. Methinks the single lane is the major consideration here.

#2249 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

So what could go wrong? Aside from the obvious (an unnoticed vehicle coming the other way)

In the normal course of driving we all enter intersections and make left turns, many times without coming to even close to a full stop first.  What we do it make sure nobody is coming through it, or is in the crosswalk when we make that manoeuvre.  This one seems similar.  He proceeded when he saw it was safe.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2250 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

He had no way to see if it was safe. If my vision of the intersection was blocked his was more-so. He just gunned it hoping that no other vehicles were going to enter the intersection, or perhaps he was under the impression that our direction was the only direction with a GREEN and the oncoming lane had a RED, which is the case when entering westbound via Humboldt.

I'd chalk up his decision to that rather than he thought he could or couldn't see up ahead.

Know it all.

#2251 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

The language used in every jurisdiction unambiguously favours caution ("...unless it is unsafe..."). Drivers are constantly making determinations re: whether or not an action is safe or unsafe. But if an accident occurs, the rules of the road are typically worded so as to implicate the actions that caused it. Your action caused an accident therefore your action wasn't safe. If an accident does not occur then you'll have a friendly disagreement with the guy who writes your ticket re: whether or not your action was unsafe.

In any event, methinks the main questions here are:

- Was it safe to pass? (I think I agree with Mike K. that it wasn't, because of the obstructing vehicles, the nearness to the intersection, and the change in the angle of the road on the other side of the intersection)

- Is it legal to proceed through an intersection on the left side of the road (I think we would call this "failure to keep right through an intersection", wouldn't we?) (I don't know why we'd ever want to encourage this sort of thing on city streets in high-traffic environments.)

Motor Vehicle Act s.155(1)

1) ...if a highway is marked with

c) one single line, broken or solid, the driver of a vehicle must drive the vehicle to the right of the line, except only when passing an overtaken vehicle.

Subsection(s) do not apply if a driver is avoiding an obstruction on the highway and first ascertains that the movement can be made with safety and without affecting the travel of any other vehicle.

Edited by aastra, 08 July 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#2252 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

#2253 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

A Saanich man who drove the wrong way on the Patricia Bay Highway, seriously injuring two people, has been found not criminally responsible by reason of a mental disorder.

The incident began about 1 a.m. on Jan. 19 when Wood, behind the wheel of a red 1968 MG convertible, was stopped by Victoria police for a passing-lane violation.

About an hour later, he rear-ended a taxi at Bay and Blanshard streets. He got out of the car, then got back inside and drove away.

At 3 a.m., police saw Wood driving erratically through the intersection of Douglas and Yates streets. When they tried to stop him, he sped off. Police did not pursue him to avoid a dangerous chase.

At 4:23 a.m., Wood was spotted by Shawnigan Lake RCMP. The MG was parked on the side of the Malahat highway with the driver’s door open.

About 7 a.m., two people saw Wood sobbing and hugging a totem pole at the Malahat summit. He approached their vehicle, and laughed hysterically when they spoke to him. The couple saw Wood a short time later, pointing and laughing as he hung off the Malahat summit sign.

A few hours later, someone reported a near-collision with a red MG at Chatterton Way and Quadra Street.

About 10:45 a.m., witnesses told police they saw Wood driving north in the southbound lane on the Pat Bay Highway past the Royal Oak off-ramp at high speed. He hit a white van with a driver and two passengers. One of the passengers suffered serious injuries to one of her hands.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Py23iQ8s.dpuf

#2254 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

#2255 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

Dear Mr. Cyclist - you're going the wrong way, on the crosswalk, with the flashing "don't walk" sign. 

And then on the Pat Bay, get out of the left lane.  Don't tailgate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ZXnIyxtrE

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2256 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

^What kind of a lunatic follows that close at that speed.  Jeepers.

#2257 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

A motor vehicle incident this afternoon in Saanich has sent an elderly woman to hospital in serious condition.

A car travelling along 4400 block Tyndall avenue around 3pm this afternoon, drifted off the road and hit the sidewalk, flipping the car over and hitting the elderly woman, who was waiting at a bus stop.

http://www.cfax1070....after-being-hit

#2258 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

That's a freaking nightmare.

One wonders if the 40-something driver was texting. She wouldn't have let it drift unless she was traveling far in excess of the speed limit or she was focused on something other than the road.

Know it all.

#2259 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

Or medical emergency, etc...

Here's a CTV Twitter photo of the car on its roof: https://twitter.com/...2866560/photo/1

Here's to a successful recovery for the elderly woman.

And before anyone goes off about speed limits, you don't have to be moving fast to roll your car:

(First bit of the video was sped up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UglT1GRltIw

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#2260 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

From ScanBC:

#Saanich crews are on scene with a serious accident at Tyndall Ave & Grandview Dr. #BCAS reporting 1 patient in cardiac arrest.

Not sure if it was the driver or elderly woman they're referring to.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users